navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum September 20, 2014, 12:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: A plea from The David School - Issue 18 | Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boiler/Jacket stove, without water connections?  (Read 3022 times)
charlieb

« on: August 17, 2010, 11:43:10 PM »

Does anyone know if it's safe/sensible to use a stove with wraparound boiler without any water in the boiler (ie as a room heater only).    I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can fill the boilers with sand...?     I'm looking at getting a stove now for heating a big space, but might want to connect to hot water/rads at some point in the future.  Charnwood CW50B  and Hunter Heralds are two I'm looking at.   Thank,
Charlie
Baz

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:09:44 AM »

It is possible that the boiler will be damaged by overheating as it would be designed to never go above 100c with water in it.
Better to talk to the mfr about a non boiler model that can take a sensible retrofit boiler later. Some will offer a crude tank rather than a decent wrap around as the boiler addition which is likely to be inefficient.
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

Running a boiler stove dry will buckle it as the inner part and outer part will heat at different rates, and will be different thicknesses.
As Baz says you can retro fit a boiler to some.
It depends on how much heat you want to end up in the water or in the room, a retro fit will never give you as much as a purpose built boiler.

if its just a temporary solution you could build one?  Grin
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9125.0.html

the hunter Herald 8 and 14 have a wrap round or clip in boiler option maybe give them a ring?

I have a wrap round Herald 8 and can confirm most of the heat goes into the water, probably no good if your wanting to heat a big room?

Stuart
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:50:56 AM by Stuart » Logged

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
tony.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

do you not fill the water boiler with sand if you have no water connected?

tony
Baz

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »

This is sometimes done IF you never want to use it as a biler again.
charlieb

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. There are some cheap good-brand boiler stoves about on ebay, but it sounds like I'll be better to get a non-boiler one for now (two other fireplaces to move it to when/if I do finally plumb one in).
C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: