navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum July 30, 2014, 12:07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK | Farmers Encouraged to Harvest Solar Energy to Save Money
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which PVGIS  (Read 2965 times)
JohnS

« on: March 01, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »

I note there are many different flavours of PVGIS.

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php

has two; Classic PVGIS and Climate-SAF PVGIS, and I have seen various references to PVGIS 4.

Does anyone have a view of which is considered the most accurate/best or whatever or know over which periods the data was compiled?

I am in the process of compiling sunshine hours from the Met Office historical records and want to compare it to PVGIS.  There is a +7/-3.4% variation in annual sunshine hours depending on whether one takes a 40 year period (1971-2010) or a 10 year period (2001-2010).  Thus I want to match sunshine records to PVGIS as best I can.

John

2.1kWp solar PV
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »

climate saf is the satellite one, the other is using weather station data anyway, so depending which weather stations you're using you could end up comparing like with like.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
skyewright

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »

When I (and I believe others) refer to sometimes as "PVGIS-4" I/we usually mean a calculation done using the "Climate SAF" database and the apps4 version of the PVGIS URL, i.e. the one quoted in the first post in this topic.

The Climate SAF option first became available in the apps4 version.

...know over which periods the data was compiled?
The "Whats This" link on the PVGIS page gives quite a detailed description of the basis for the two different radiation databases.

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/databasehelp_en.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:19:29 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
JohnS

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »

Skyewright

Thanks.  Based on the 'What's this' link, I shall use June 1998 to May 2010 as 12 years of sunshine hours data to compare to PVGIS.

John

New CM-SAF - PVGIS database for Europe and Northern Africa
These data are based on calculations from satellite images performed by CM-SAF (see also references 4 and 5). The database represents a total of 12 years of data. From the first generation of Meteosat satellites (Meteosat 5-7), known as MFG, there are data from 1998 to 2005 and from the second-generation Meteosat satellites (known as MSG) there are data from June 2006 to May 2010. The spatial resolution is 1.5 arc-minutes (about 3km right below the satellite at 0 N, 0 W). The coverage extends from 0 N (equator) to 58 N and from 15 W to 35 E.

2.1kWp solar PV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: