navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum April 16, 2014, 11:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: David School Messenger - Issue 10 | UPDATE ON DECC APPLICATION FOR LEAVE TO APPEAL TO THE SUPREME COURT | Lights go on in Sierra Leone
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Code challenge  (Read 3764 times)
martin
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

and how about the paper clips?

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
MarkB

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »

Hmm, the Earth is in the wrong position for the end of August so 10th September is still a winner. I think that the Moon's position might not be accurately drawn unless we're looking at a different year altogether.
OK, I had the moon going round the wrong way! This means is has done around 3 1/4 orbits, given that 6th September would be 3 orbits, it brings us back to the 13th of September (or thereabouts).

Also, we're talking about three days difference to get to back to the 10th, which is more than 10% of the moon's orbit, or around 38 degrees, which I'm sure would be noticeable on the position of the moon. I think we're much more likely to be talking about the 13th (give or take a day) than the 10th.

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »

Lot's of other dates are falling out of other clues so I should be able to eliminate some around this date as I'm guessing that each clue gives a unique date.

Yes Martin, the date is only a part of it (to do with ordering of the answers I think) and decoding the rest is also part of the task.

Volunteer moderator
6kW Proven turbine, Navitron 20-tube solar thermal, GSHP, WBS with back-boiler, Rayburn wood central heating
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »

According to this - http://kalender-365.de/lunar-calendar.php - there is a Full Moon on 12th September. Does that make the diagram still say 13th?

Volunteer moderator
6kW Proven turbine, Navitron 20-tube solar thermal, GSHP, WBS with back-boiler, Rayburn wood central heating
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »

Ted
as I have already stated, the diagram is for c 2 days after full moon so my money is on the  14th rather than the 13th. Hopefully Ivan, EA and Desp will make an appearance here soon and it will be interesting to hear what they think.
Sean

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Ivan
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »

I don't think it's an anagram:

http://www.ssynth.co.uk/~gay/cgi-bin/nph-an?line=RNONTOETEEORIODABACHOUGTSTIRRIABLEWUDNTUSA&words=no+limit&dict=antworth&doai=on

Navitron Member of Staff
www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

The code at the bottom of the page is a Baconian cipher and part of a larger segment that has now been decoded (using columnar transposition and a discovered key of 'Euclid'.

It says:

cE.xx.21L      STAND STILL HERE <BR> DIFFICULT
cE.34.41R      Y AT THE BEGINNING COMES FROM <B
cE.40.22L      R> MODESTY <BR> YOU ARE THE GENTLE
cE.08.08L      ONE <BR> IGNORE THE STROKES <STOP>

Stand still here
Difficulty at the beginning comes from
modesty
You are the gentle one
Ignore the strokes.

Still working with others on how to put it all together and the meta-meaning. The last lines of each of these text blocks (there are 12 altogether ordered by signs of the zodiac - that's why the Capricorn sign is on this page) seem to fit together into a series of instructions.

Volunteer moderator
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »

Just about confirmed to myself that the correct answer is 14th September, as that appears on the page that the cipher on this page is a prequel to.

Seems you probably need to take time of day into account to accurately see what the date might be from the diagrams.

Volunteer moderator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: