navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum July 29, 2014, 07:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK | Farmers Encouraged to Harvest Solar Energy to Save Money
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 58cc chainsaw..  (Read 13128 times)
DaveSnafu

« on: September 13, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

Was looking to get a bigger saw than my husky 142, need to cut bigger logs, had a look at prices for a 357 or similar, strewth, they are expensive, read a few forums, found out my little huskys are made in china.
So I thought I would try a cheap 58cc saw off the bay, arrived this morning, looks a bit plasticky, styled on  the earlier huskys about 98-2000 vintage.
It came with storage bag, mixing bottle and 2 chains, 20" bar, tool pouch, manual in good english.
It started second pull(recoil assist starting...a bit weird) and ran like a good un, very pokey, cutting through 16"-18" logs with ease.
I was willing to take a dive on this saw just to see if they are any good, like I said it is based on a 10 year old design, so its noisy, you can feel the vibes, but for the money I think they are a bargain, you could have 6-7 of these for the price of a branded saw of similar power.
Only reservation I have is it needs 25-1 fuel oil mix, which I think is a bit rich, my understanding was that all 2strokes that used to run on 25-1 were ok to run on 50-1 with modern 2stroke oils.
Will see how it goes.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
Mostie

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

was it the 85 quid one?

4x Sharp 175w, Soladin 600, Mitsubishi H.I. split 2.5kw inverter heat pump.
Stoozy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:38:15 PM »

Hi Dave - had a look at these as well and so nearly bought one but was put off by a colleague with an over active safety gland.  So put it off and decided to do more investigation.  Keep posting to let us know how you get on.

ta

Stuart
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:31:43 AM »

My mate bought one of these pieces of 5h1t, the chain brake did not work and when he pulled it apart to have a look at it the HT lead was rubbing on the flywheel. Another friend of a friend bought one and the piston melted after about a year, probably why it runs on 25:1 as the machining quality is so poor  hysteria

My 'new' Stihl is 18 years old and still going strong and I've not got a clue how old my Husky is. The sooner we stop buying cr4p like this that's destined for the landfill along with all the Christmas tack, the sooner we'll save the planet  Grin

Sorry chaps for my little rant but I'm not long after seeing one of these in bits and was appalled at the quality.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985, 2 x Proven 2.5kW, Trace SW4548e, WB1200, SB3000, WB6000, 48v 940ah forklifts, 940w Kinve PV, TS45, Lister HR2 12kW, Lister SR2, 6kW, Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo and several miles of SWA :-)
dtl

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »

The otherthing with cheap chainsaws is that if you do have a problem and you need a part, you will probably not be able to get one.

Whereas if you have a Stihl or a Husky, it is easy to get parts, even for saws that are 20 years old.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:37:27 AM by dtl » Logged
Baz

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »

But as Dave pointed out at the start the 'big brands' get their stuff made in china too now, and as the 20 yr old design has probably been sold to a chinese company your spare parts are probably coming off the original tools - but over there.
Remember when 'made in Japan' was a byword for shoddy. Would you turn down a Honda engine now?
clockmanFR

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »

Have you sen inside the crankcase's of a new modern Briggs and Stratton engine recently???

Holy Molly Talk about minimal materials!! especially around the main bearings.

I am sticking to my old cast iron side valve jobs.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »

But as Dave pointed out at the start the 'big brands' get their stuff made in china too now, and as the 20 yr old design has probably been sold to a chinese company your spare parts are probably coming off the original tools - but over there.
Remember when 'made in Japan' was a byword for shoddy. Would you turn down a Honda engine now?

The 'big brands' get their kit built in China to a strict quality control system with proper CE marks, this pap off eBay is lethal. I have just purchased a clone Honda carb for a water pump off eblag. 20 delivered next day as opposed to 75 next month from Honda. It's pure rubbish compared to the original but got me out of a hole and does the job. OK, it uses twice as much fuel as the old one and the choke is stiff but it's unlikely to give me an electric shock, cut my leg off or throw a chain in my face.

The stuff does have its place for the desperate, needy and poor, but a chainsaw  sh*tfan they're dangerous enough when well built. And I for one have a none functioning 'safety gland' http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/?s=%22do+not+try+this+at+home%22  Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985, 2 x Proven 2.5kW, Trace SW4548e, WB1200, SB3000, WB6000, 48v 940ah forklifts, 940w Kinve PV, TS45, Lister HR2 12kW, Lister SR2, 6kW, Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo and several miles of SWA :-)
DaveSnafu

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »

So far so good, I will probably get another one for spares, the 2 small huskys I have were built in china, the oldest bought in 1998 lasted 10 years, then bought another so I would have spares........the new one is subtly different in every way, have looked at the oldest husky many times to bring it back to life, the HT lead was rubbing, and the chainbrake broke about a week after buying it.
The price of parts for the huskys is prohibitive, as is servicing.
Round here a "ton" of wood is anything from 35-55 and is usually just a pickup load, getting a bigger saw has meant I can hunt bigger logs, have had 3 loads out of the woods now, (about 3 tons) the saw has coped well, it uses more juice than the little huskys, is loud, (ears ringing after using), and the AV is not so good, but it is strong, easy to start, and in my view a bit of a bargain.
I also have a chinese genny (2 actually 1 here 1 in portugal) goes great, cheap spares, and the smoothest output I have seen on a genny.
I also have several chinese microphones, they also work very well, as do the signal processors, I have 12 turbosound copy bass horns built in china, they go really well, of course you have to shop around for the best stuff.
If you read the papers you will see there is no mention of a slowdown in chinese developement because of poor quality chainsaws, ask a panda.
Remember they shot a satelite out of the sky, a feat the yanks could,nt match, they are not stupid.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
camillitech

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »

Remember they shot a satelite out of the sky, a feat the yanks could,nt match, they are not stupid.

Of course they're not stupid they send all they're cr4p over here and keep the good stuff  Grin

Cheers, Paul

AlanM

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »

"(ears ringing after using)"
Would that be while wearing hearing protection or without, ..................?
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

i bought stihl years ago.i have seen quite a lot of stihl develop engine trouble and become tempermental to start,i have had chainsaws and consaws with the 12"blade by stihl and too many of them gave trouble despite regular servicing and good quality fuel. nowaday i buy the throwaway chainsaw, the last one was from lydl for 99euros.its still in the box as the other saws are working perfect.i find them a bit noisy but reliable and powerfull. the only part that gives bother is the plastic wings on the pullstart clutch,once in a blue moon.the chains are top quality.
                                                                                   biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »

Yeah your right about the hearing protection, next time will maybe use plugs, it does say 110db on it, the husky says 118db, its louder than the husky.
My SPL meter is with a mate, will try to measure them.

AlanM

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »

wouldn't bother with plugs, get yourself a proper pair of ear defenders, if you get a helmet, it will give you a visor as well. After you get a chip in the eye, you won't be worrying about the 20 it would have cost you

Alan

Otherwise your moniker might change to Dave Snefu - (e for ears)
camillitech

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »

nowaday i buy the throwaway chainsaw,

That's why the planet's ferked Biff, cos people buy throw away everything. I've only ever owned three chainsaws, huge Partner, ex hire company that did me about four or five years hard labour. A new Stihl 026 which has done almost twenty years with nothing other than plugs and chains and a Husky that my father gave me when he got too old to use it. If you're only getting ten years out of a saw then you're doing something wrong. We light our fire almost every day and I cut allot of wood.

But then I'm still running 30 and 40 year old generators with no issues either  hysteria

Cheers, Paul

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: