navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum October 25, 2014, 01:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a replacement air bleed valve on my solar hot water system pleas  (Read 1702 times)
Imintheshed

« on: October 22, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

Dear all,
I've been fighting with a constant weep from my air bleed valve ever since I installed my (Navitron) syatem a few years back.
I think I probably picked the idea of using a standard radiator type bleed valve from the forum, but its been a constant pain.
I have tried replacing it (on the assumption that the first B&Q one was 'faulty'); I've stripped it down, packed it with PTFE and put it back together.....hell, I have even bought the correct tool for tightening it (impressive for one whose attitude towards tools is 'if it doesnt fit in the ammo box then I dont need it').
The last rebuild was about 3 months ago and it seemed to be holding out quite well, but I've just been up in to the attic only to find that my pressure has plummetted and there is a tell-tale pool of anti-freeze directly under the bleed valve.
Any suggestions for an alternative design?
Or do I just need to crank it even tighter?!
Cheers
Rich
Mike N.

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »

We too had no joy with bleed valves and eventually swapped it for a full bore ball valve.  A month or so ago I ran a length of 10mm copper tube down the back of the roof in armaflex in Wickes mini-downpipe with the full bore ball valve on the bottom end.

I haven't had to top it up since (though the main gain is being able to bleed without going up on the roof again).

Mike
Imintheshed

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »

Thanks Mike,
The full bore valve sounds like a good idea, better still I may even have one in the vortex that I call my shed!
Cheers
Rich
Mike N.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »

I forgot to say that wherever you end up siting your valve, always have a length of pipe after the valve directing the hot water or potential steam away from you. Having bled a few boiled tubes, the steam comes out very hot, fast, and for some considerable time, even if you only crack the valve open a little bit.

Mike
Imintheshed

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »

Good point, in fact thats another really good advantage of a full bore valve over the fiddly little air bleed valve that I've been using.
Cheers
Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: