navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum November 21, 2014, 11:42:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barn conversion  (Read 17028 times)
stannn

« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

Looks like you need an infra-red thermometer, Beau.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »

Hi Beau,
             Agree with A.L. If this is the coldest part of your house then it will be the place any condensation forms. I exteneded my bungalow over about 5 years while was working full time. I had parts of the house open to the loft, some radiators not connected. I had condensation on one wall and was convinced I had a water leak ! As I had fitted all the water pipes and heating I should have realised there weren't any any where near that wall  Huh. They key was making sure all the rooms were at about the same temperature + adequate ventilation. Even a difference of a few degrees with a relative humidity of 50% in the warm part of a house will cause condensation. Could you measure the temperature in the room and in your warmest room ? Also if you measure the humidity it should be 40-60% for normal occupation. If you are using only the log burner for heat then you are almost bound to have differential temperatures unless you distribute the heat.

Regards Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
Bodidly

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »

Have infra-red thermometer and have used it.

Room temp away from problem 22.5c
Foil over wall 19c-20c
Foil were in contact with batten bellow and damp 16.5c
Thin wood support strip nailed to wall plate 15.5c-16.5c
Ceiling temp from apex to corner 22.5c-20c
Room RH 55%
Corner RH 61%
Outside RH 93%

What should I conclude from this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:15:48 PM by Bodidly » Logged
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »

Hi Beau,
            Looks like from a temperature/humidity point it is right in the danger area. Also if your heating is off overnight the wall may get colder than you have measured. Attached is a graph of humidity vers temperature. On this if you have an RH of 50% at 20 C then cool by 10 C you will hit the dew point.           

Any thing above 60% is a danger area for mould. Could you add extra insulation on the inside ? They used to sell polystyrene "wallpaper" a couple of mm thick. Or use celotex  or something similar. I suppose it needs to be reasonably air tight or the condensation may form behind it.

How much and where did you get the infra red thermometer - looks a good piece of kit. Good one Stannn  Smiley

Regards Richard

Laws are for the guidance of wise men and the obeyance of fools - Richard Burton upon Trent
Bodidly

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the help on this one guys.

The temp does not vary much as the stove is kept in over night.
The readings I have taken are after the ply cover is taken off so no real idea what things were like in there before.
On our balcony I have still not got around to putting a cover over the foil and we have no problem here, this adjoins the bedroom where the problem is.
My hope is if I replace the ply top and seal all the edges the warm damp air will not get to the cold surfaces to condense.

The infra-red thermometer is the B&D heat detector. You can get much cheaper ones on Ebay but it was a Christmas present to myself so I got the one with
the fancy lights  Grin

In the main sitting room the wall cover is caulked in I could lift one of these off to see if the problem occurs when air finds it difficult to get to the cold surfaces.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:47:32 PM by Bodidly » Logged
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

Hi Beau,
            I think I want one !

The graph takes a bit of interpreting. The left hand side gives grammes of water per 1000 grammes of air. The way I use the graph is to look at the green line. This is 50% RH. So if I look at the bottom for a temperature of 20 then follow that line up to the green line this point is 20 C at 50% RH. If you then move horizontally to the red line you get 100% RH at 10 C. i.e. by cooling by 10 C the humidity goes from 50% to 100% and condenses out. This gives a feel for the temperature difference to cause a problem. Spookily you seem to be right in this kind of area.

Regards Richard

Bodidly

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

Thanks for explaining the graph.
I thought I understood it and edited my previous post but now you have explained it to me I really do get it.

If I seal all the gaps carefully the air gap becomes part of the insulation like in double glazing or have I got this wrong?
stannn

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »

Here you are Richard, a video of the B & D infra-red thermometer. I have one and it is brilliant.
Stan
http://www.yougen.co.uk/blog-entry/1581/Eliminating+the+draughts+that+push+up+your+heating+bills/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Consumer+newsletter+October+2011&utm_content=Consumer+newsletter+October+2011+CID_5cf7b04033256972d066da837419aeb2&utm_source=Envirosend&utm_term=read+my+review+here

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
HalcyonRichard

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

Hi Stannn,
                Thanks for that. I am getting one  Smiley. I think it will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Hi Beau - It's an art rather than a science. The wall I had water running down was glazed tiles. Right next to these on the same wall was emulsion paint with no condesation at all ?. I think wood is quite condensation resistant. Not sure why. But it could be that the surface finish warms slightly when a little condensation forms and stops any more.  I have noticed porous surfaces tend not to suffer as badly as "glossy or shiny" surfaces. Even a thin sheet with an air gap will raise the internal surface temperature. Could you use gaffer/masking tape so you could check over time. Then do a proper job when you are happy with it ?

Regards Richard

stannn

« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »

Hmm, the video doesn't work; any ideas?
To my eternal shame, I had to join QVC because their price was only 22.44 delivered. It will not be in the current catalogue but nor was it then........I just spotted a connection on google.
The QVC part no. is 564482.
Stan

HalcyonRichard

« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

Hi Stannn,
               You are a star. My better half has just placed an order for me. 22.45 includes postage. Cheapest I found elswhere were all around 40 mark with postage. The link works fine for me - just showed it to my better half.

Thanks Stannn

Regards Richard

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: