navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum July 24, 2014, 07:13:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK | Farmers Encouraged to Harvest Solar Energy to Save Money
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water wheel in Portugal  (Read 2851 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »

yo griffin,
         its been blowing a gale here all day,a misty,drizzle that gets in everywhere,then the peasoup closed in,wet fog.
     yer gonna miss the drizzle in that thar hot climate.yer gonna be telling them thar locals about the great rain and lakes around mayo.
                    the first thing i would do,is stick up 8 x 80 watt solar panels  (12 volts x 17.5 vmp) =140volts in a single string,,charge into a 120volt battery bank= 10 x 12 volts. use the solar side of a 2kw turbine controller which dumps at 138 volts,,the dump will heat water easily on ordinary immersion then you have good supply of 120vdc,, use ups 2.7 kw (120vdc external battery feed) and bobs yer aunt. this outfit will give you lovely pure sine wave lecky,good for telly and pc.with the amount of sunshine you are geting there,it would be a sin not to use this setup.
  if you are stuck for any of the bits and bobs above,just pm me and i will point you in the direction of the 2.7ups or the 120volt solar hybrid controllers.
                                                                                                           biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
guydewdney

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »

he could have my 90v ups for free - just needs new batteries... see 'free to good home' - going to scrap it in the new year (promise)

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Griffen

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »

Ahem,
It is a little known fact that you can get female griffens too.

guydewdney

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »

sorry - most geeks are men Wink

Pic of wheel on day 1
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

errrrrr,
        very nice of guy to offer his ups,, totally free,,lucky you griffin,!!!
      let me see,,,,,,,,, 5 x 80 watt panels (12 volt with vmp of 17.5) is rated at 87.5 volts but would deliver much greater volts in sunny porto,,
      so  straight in to 45 forklift cells = 90 volts with dump on one side set to 56,5(48 volt) and dump on the other side 42 volts(36volts).achieved by splitting the pack in two halfs to make the dump loads managable..
  then connect the ups to the lot and bobs your aunt.
      forum member,,,,,,,,,would this work, Huh? help help
                                                                           biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »

I do not know Biff  , cause not too familiar  with UPS
And , If there is  a good hydro potential  , a too big battery might be an overkill

I would recommend a 24 or 48 Volt setup   and use  the powerspout battery charging unit or a  Navitron 230 AC  waterturbine  and AC couple this with the Off grid inverter /charger combi (the internal charger in the off grid inverter will than charge the battery from the waterturbine  in parallel)

And take my time to restore the waterwheel as well

Billi
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:47:28 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
guydewdney

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »

or a  Navitron 230 AC  waterturbine

with all due respect to the owners of the forum - the low head turbines require.... fiddling? fettling? The OP has suggested 24/7 unattended power production is a requirement.

oh - and a griffEn is a town in austria.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffen Wink

Pic of wheel on day 1
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »

or a fabled winged lion type animal which stands guard over old religious buildings,
    or the family who live over the hill, Grin
                                           biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »

Guy i thought more of a high head unit  , but still i do not know if Griffen can put in a pipe  further up the river  whistlie

A Navitron unit  would be a fast and low price install   for the time being , until the wheel is set up  or other ideas developed

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: