navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum October 24, 2014, 05:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PV'er in desperate need of some help.  (Read 13661 times)
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

I'm busy today, will try to reply tonight.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
theonlytazman

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »

supremetwo - got a txt from the installer which stated "if you wish to go to mcs/real i'll tell [inserts boss's name say "P" in this case] your decision and he will pass your file to the solicitor to sort things out." so yes its sort-of in writing

one other thing i've been thinking (bad i know) is it likely these cowboys sent in the wrong G83/1 certs for the inverters to the DNO office? ie they lied to them by saying I had the one's they'd emailed over? its just that everytime we request g83 certs they keep sending them for the kaco 4000 or the sma 2000 or other models, not for the one's they've installed physically in the premises. As the owner is belgium & has his own business doing the same thing abroad (or so they say) could it be that he's used European units rather than UK units??? if that's the case where do we stand? presumably the FIT payments will stop & they could as gavin stated cut us off the supply?

Sorry Mart, am stressing still as its a lot of money, done via re-mtge's & it seems we've spent money for nothing. to make matters worse i recommended these cowboys to my friends/relatives (no longer of-course as they are all aware of the probs we're all having!)

Gavin thanks would be much appreciated, likewise to everyone else on this forum (thanks again Mart for passing me over here!).
Ecosse

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »

I doubt that paying by credit card would give you any additional protection if the payment was to an overseas company anyway, and it might well be best to just avoid all the hastles associated with it (ID etc) if you have the ability to pay by other means instead. The company may well also be more willing to go with a 2% reduction if they're not paying 2-3% credit card fees on the transaction, which they could well be.

I'd certainly recommend sticking with the cc method of payment - as long as you are within the Consumer Credit Act limits, you'll always have the fall back of pulling your bank into the deal (which could be invaluable if the trader goes out of business) as they are jointly & severally liable with the trader which is surely of greater benefit than a short-term discount?
BruceB

MCS certified for Solar PV & thermal, GSHP & ASHP

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »

Agreed if you are paying direct by credit card, but beware if they ask you to do it through an intermediary like paypal which can break the link to enjoy protection
theonlytazman

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »

Thanks guys, paying via my cc but they're using a 3rd party to act as a cc merchant for them as they don't have cc status. Also the 3rd party is overseas!

Have been texting this shady outfit 2-3 times today to find out why we haven't rec'd anything (ie certs ...)

Just had the "boss" of this firm on the line. He's now told me that no payments have been received. It can take up to 3 WEEKS (yes 21 days) for the monies to be trf'd into their account from the cc company - presumably as its an overseas transaction?

He promised he has ALL G83 certs with him physically (can't email them over though???) & will sort out the swap out of the Kaco for the SMA - will discuss monday next week - by then he said the monies should've come thro'. We can then sort out the remaining 7-8% for the 1st & 2nd payment balance that day also.

These guys are just ... Hopefully others out there may be scared into doing their research fully before getting panels fitted. Them being MCS/Real accredited seems to mean nothing at the moment - but i am a novice at all of this!
M

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »

Don't put yourself down. Every one of us that has had PV was a (and mostly still are) novice(s). You probably know 10 times more than the rest of us who had it easy. Nothing you learn in live is ever wasted.

You did your research, you went for 3 decent systems, you didn't get them, so you looked for help and found some. Take a pat on the back for trying to fix everything for your friends. You've done nothing wrong. In a years time this'll only be a faint memory. Now, let's get you through the next year shall we.

Best of luck mate, we'll get there.

Mart.

Cardiff: 5.6kWp PV - (2.4kWp SB2500HF ESE + 1.2kWp SB1200 ESE + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

btw, I was just playing around with Sunny Design* for something, and realised that it has a setting to only display the inverters that are licensed for the country you're designing in. If you set Germany as your location it displays the 2100TL inverter no problem. If you put your location as UK then it doesn't display the 2100TL as an option at all.

I'd recommend an email to SMA to confirm that this inverter is not licensed for use in the UK and does not have a G83 certificate, that way the question is settled, and you can move on to the question of when the installer is going to replace your inverters or pay for someone to set them to G83 protection settings and test them on site.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
theonlytazman

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »

Thanks guys as always for the feedback, advice etc...

Thanks to the advice from these forums, the installers have confirmed they will be replacing the Kaco inverter for my house with an SMA instead next friday

Prior to this I followed Gavin's advice & contact both Kaco & SMA directly. Turns out the Kaco is G83/1 certified but NOT suitable for my house due to the dual aspect roof. With the others the SMA was NOT G83/1 certified (as gavin indicated a number of times). But what's concerning is that the installers have said nothing about the SMA's, also i feel they filed the forms with the DNO with the wrong inverter details on there - as they kept sending us the wrong SMA G83/1 certs. I've told them to wait till friday get my one sorted & if they don't sort out the other 2 then we'll hold off any remaining payments till they are resolved.

So there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel, just taking a huge amount of time to get there!!!
M

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 07:22:33 PM »

Well done Taz. And keep us posted.

Keep smiling, it's getting sunnier (if you ignore the snow that is).

M.

Cardiff: 5.6kWp PV - (2.4kWp SB2500HF ESE + 1.2kWp SB1200 ESE + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Parky

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »

I can only feel for Taz's story here.
If someone complains to their local Trading Standards about a company, that complaint gets passed to the Trading Standards department in the home town of the offending  company. So they amass a series of documents on that company which can be useful in building up evidence on how that company is trading. I've found them very helpful in giving common sense legal advice and support - much like the folks here.

I also notice that all the photos on one of Mr Bains' two company websites are all stock photos, mostly acquired from istockphoto.com I suppose that's normal practice for a company unable or too lazy to show good quality work of their own?

3.92kWp 12 x Sunpower E20 + Powador 4202 http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=6527
itsnewtome

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »

Taz
With regards the DNO notification they should provide you a copy of the paperwork. I suspect they haven't and it is probably way down on your list. Maybe ask to see it?
theonlytazman

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »

Further update. Today at my place they attempted to swap out the Kaco inverter for a SMA inverter. Good news we thought, until we saw that the box was already open & it only contained the unit with no remote handset, no instructions/manuals etc... Worse yet the box was laden with Soil & Mud (yes soil/mud! had they been on a farm that day?). The sparky said that the unit had been taken from another box & put into this one, we chk'd & that wasn't the case the s/n's on the box & the unit were the same. The unit also had deep scratches/scuff marks all over it.

We then called the Installers said we weren't happy with them fitting in a used (2nd-hand) unit plus this model the SMA 3800 was not correct for our roof (it was the same as the Kaco - ie could not deal with 2 roof aspects). They were insistent i had no idea what i was talking about, when i'd mentioned i'd been in touch with SMA things changed, they said apologies will get the inverter i'd requested & was promised a SMA 4000tl but that will come in on Monday they will come over then to fit it in. BUT they wanted to remove my working (not well though) Kaco inverter so they could put that into someone else's residence!!! What the???

This shady outfit just seems to be getting from bad to worse. We finally got them to allow us to keep our Kaco as the Sparky's hadn't yet gotten round to removing it. Basically this cowboy outfit wanted me to go without an inverter till they hopefully could come over monday to hopefully install the correct unit.

itsnewtome - we have requested the DNO paperwork and to-date still not received it. I do feel they aren't willing to provide it as they have lied on the forms to say we had G83/1 certified units when we quite clearly haven't

Parky - last year a number of these new Solar Panel companies sprang up due to the huge rewards available. This one seemed a bit more stable with the backstory we were all told. turns out we should've stuck with the previous installers who quoted for us! Bad move on our part going with these muppets!
asorton

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »

theonlytazman,

Any update on this, I have been following your thread with great interest.

3.84kWp - 16x240W Phono Solar - 4000TL
30x58mm solar thermal - vaillant 250L unvented aurostor
PvOutput  >  Join Team Navitron
SunnyPortal
BDPV
theonlytazman

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

A few days ago the cowboys fitted in a SB 4000TL to replace the Kaco inverter (that wasn't suitable for our roof). The final readings on the kaco were as follows:

Display of inverter type - Powador 4202
Generator voltage and current - 499.6v 1.12A
Line voltage, current and power -  237.0V 2.37A 544W
Daily peak capacity - 676 W
Temperature inside unit - 16 degrees
Counter yield - 152.8kWh
Yield today - 1659 Wh
Total yield - 152.8 kWh
(Total) economy of CO2 - 85 Kg
Counter oper. hours -  629:02
Operating hours today - 4:57
Total operating hours - 629:02

That's after over 2 months of being installed 153 kWh's (approx 66 earned - on a 25 yr scale based upon those readings i'd be earning approx 10k - still not enough to cover the installation!). Yes i know that winter months don't earn a great deal but really annoyed with this outfit for fitting in the wrong converter which has probably cost me 50 over the last 2 mths.

The SMA readings were as follows (these were taken on 14/2/12 at 2.30pm approx):

Power: 547 W
Day: 3.856 kWh
Total: 26.9 kWh

LHS Panels: 1.1A 2.2A
LHS Panels: 501v 242v
RHS Panels: 0.0A 2.2A
RHS Panels: 0v 243v

I think they may not have fitted in the SMA correctly, 1 of the feeds should've been from the west facing roof (6 panels), the other 2 strings should've been attached to the other feed which came from the south facing roof (10 panels). I think they've maybe either mixed/matched them or may be missing some panels as the readings don't seem right - but i don't know that much about solar ...

Note the kaco was fitted in my house on 8/12/11 at mid-day approx, it was finally removed on 13/2/12 at approx 12noon - 1pm
SMA was fitted in on 13/2/12 at approx 12-1pm

Initially the cowboys said they would provide the remote handset on the day they were going to fit the SMA inverter. On the day however (nothing had changed since the last communication) the cowboys took the remote handset with them, they claimed as we hadn't paid the 2nd installment of 1.5k approx they weren't going to provide it. Also as they've now done ALL the work perfectly ALL monies needed.

I am still requesting details of the G83 certs & other info and to-date they're still delaying things, finally now given them till monday at latest to provide all this info & the remote handsets. Otherwise we are taking this up with MCS/Real - we have said it to them a number of times but each time they've managed to delay matters even further ...

Apologies for not posting sooner but wanted to get a few days of readings from the SMA 1st. As I'm worried that the SMA inverter hasn't been fitted correctly & wanted to post so Gavin could maybe (if he has time) have a quick look & see if there is anything off with the readings.

Will post some readings this w/e for the SMA & if someone could let me know if they seem right or not, am not willing to pay these guys until i'm certain all my bits are done properly. The others feel the same way, fortunately as a group we haven't paid all of the monies so we have some bargaining chips on our side.
M

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »

Best of luck with all this Taz.

If you can, just write of the 50 (mentally) and all the hassles, then get on having some PV fun with all the good generation from March onwards.

Hope the 4000 is working well soon, and all certs are sorted. Then deep breath, and relax. Maybe I'll leave it a year (or five) before asking if it was all worth it!

Mart.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: