navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum December 19, 2014, 10:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fed up of your chainsaw not starting?  (Read 8938 times)
stannn

« on: January 27, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »

How about servicing the carburettor. The guy in this video is a really good communicator. I'll be looking at all his videos.

Stan
This one is even better, in 2 parts, and the chainsaw looks familiar. Of interest is that the fuel line to the filter within the tank has perished and collapsed:-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:33:18 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
norfolk.enchance

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

Stan,

I've just got my hands on a 36v battery chainsaw from Stihl.  I'm only using it for fire wood and cross cutting but I have t0 say I'm most impressed so far.  I understand the limitations of this little saw with its diddy little 12" bar, but its easy to use and doesn't require "starting".

13 Winaico 230w panels with one Sunny Boy 1700 and a Sunny Boy 1200.
Town and Country "Rosedale" 7.5kw woodburner just installed.
stannn

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »

That's cheating. I've just looked on youtube and there are several videos showing it in action.
Stan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:55:48 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »

I wounder if bosch will do a 36volt one.. I've got the batteries from my drill and lawn mower  stir

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
stannn

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:03 PM »

And here it is, the Bosch version.
Stan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:07:55 PM by stannn » Logged

tarrel

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »

I have the Bosch one.  It is excellent.  Just been using it this afternoon in fact.  I have a Noble Fir plantation, around 30 years old, and it is fine for thinning that.  The trees are 8-10 inches diameter and the saw works just fine.  I get 20-30 done on a charge, using three cuts per tree.  Charging takes about an hour and a half.
charlieb

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

Wow. I'm amazed by the positive reaction to battery saws. I'd always heard they were rubbish. BUt very pleased too - I'd love to have a decent alternative to nasty great 2-strokes for every job around.  I'd had in mind getting a cable-electric one for saw-bench cutting, running off a small generator, and keeping the two petrol saws for real work. But I might look at battery ones when they need replaced.   How do similar HP ones compare weight-wise?
stannn

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »

The Stihl lithium chainsaw weighs in at around 4.9 kg depending upon whether you buy the 2.2 Ah or the 4.5 Ah battery. The Bosch lithium chainsaw weighs 5.2 kg and has a 2.6Ah battery. The Bosch can be had for 310 but the Stihl is dearer, probably because no discounts allowed.
I was surprised at the weights because the smaller Stihl petrol chainsaws weigh around 5 kg, so no advantage there. Presumably, the battery chainsaws will be less likely to deafen you but you'll probably know damn quick when the chain is losing its edge.
However, no problems starting!
Stan

norfolk.enchance

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

Stan, 

Your right about the weight having no advantage.  I'm running this one with the high capacity battery and I know that I'm using it, if you know what I mean.  However the vibration levels are way down compared to any petrol equivalent.  Whilst it is quieter I don't notice the difference once I'm kitted up with full PPE.

Power wise it doesn't quiet get up there with any other Stihl petrol models, but I only use this saw for firewood so I'm more than impressed.  I think it will be expensive in chain replacement though as I currently make up all my other chains as I buy chains by the reel.  The chain for this little thing will need to be purchased off the shelf.

Ross.

13 Winaico 230w panels with one Sunny Boy 1700 and a Sunny Boy 1200.
Town and Country "Rosedale" 7.5kw woodburner just installed.
jonesy

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »

I find the best way to start a stihl chainsaw is to ignore the instructions.
So :-
1.  Full choke 2 pulls
2. warm setting.  pull 'til runs and stalls (should happen in less than 5 pulls, but if it's been sitting...)
3. normal setting.  Pull.  Starts straight away.

2 years of swearing at stihl and trying different techniques.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Bodidly

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »

I have been following this and here are my 10pence worth "Fed up of your chainsaw not starting" Buy a Husqvarna. We have two a 340, 346XP and I have never failed to start either in years of use (probably over 150 tonnes of wood processed from tree too log). Make sure your fuel is fresh and the filters are clean.

Beau
Justme

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »

I find the best way to start a stihl chainsaw is to ignore the instructions.
So :-
1.  Full choke 2 pulls
2. warm setting.  pull 'til runs and stalls (should happen in less than 5 pulls, but if it's been sitting...)
3. normal setting.  Pull.  Starts straight away.

2 years of swearing at stihl and trying different techniques.

Thats about what I do but:-

1, Full choke, pull it till it splutters (1 to 3 pulls)
2, half choke, pull till it starts (normally 1-3 pulls)
3, allow to run for a bit & then blip to get it off choke & allow to run some more.

4, Allow to warm up before revving it up or using it.

Oh & remember to move the air filter deflector to the winter position if its below 5c ish.

http://www.learnwithrich.co.uk
Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
200w (250w peak) 12v turbine as a tester
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h @12v
johnrae

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »

How about servicing the carburettor. The guy in this video is a really good communicator.

Have never seen a chainsaw that required a carb service being as clean as that.  Maybe he should do another that shows how to polish a chain saw.
stannn

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »

Donyboy73 (mentioned above) has uploaded about 570 videos over years on how to fix small petrol machines and the equipment is not usually that clean. They are absolutely brilliant, as he goes into great detail. He even shows how to repair some parts of older stuff no longer available. I'm loving watching but there just aren't enough hours in the day to watch them. He's Canadian and you can see in some episodes that he's cold.
Stan

tarrel

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

"I think it will be expensive in chain replacement though as I currently make up all my other chains as I buy chains by the reel.  The chain for this little thing will need to be purchased off the shelf."

The Bosch one uses an Oregon chain.  I went into Highland Industrial Supplies in Inverness to buy a spare, and he made one up for me on the spot.  about 10 quid iirc.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: