navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum October 31, 2014, 08:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculations - Is this about right  (Read 1495 times)
guydewdney

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »

k = kilo - not someones name - thus lower case
W = Watts - as in James Watt - so capitals
h - hours - as per kilo.

so its kWh

Newton metres = Nm

etc etc

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
RobNute

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »

Thanks Guy, may remember that now that you have pointed out the logic behind it.
Lurk

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

guydewdney - my first thoughts were it was back to front, but looking at the again I convinced myself it was an overshot and missing the raised water delivery channel. Where as if it was reversed it would appear to be mid shot and thus have even less power... ?
There has certainly been quite a bit of 'landscaping' of the stone work around it, so you may be correct.

The locals believe it was for a small saw mill - which I have my doubts about as it is within the grounds of country hall, off which this is in the garden of the gate house. Ive checked the local history records and no mention of it. So it could even of been imported to the location at some stage as you say for a feature ...

Anyone care to take a stab at a cost to bring a wheel on line here ? Assume its 100 mtrs to the house.
guydewdney

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »

you might want to talk to Phil at Pico Energy - thats what he does - new water wheels.

this one is just down the road from me

http://www.picoenergy.co.uk/currypool_mill

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Lurk

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »

cheers Guy

Lurk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: