navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum October 21, 2014, 02:30:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best price ever on bulk waste vegetable oil  (Read 43773 times)
Ivan
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »

I gave Arrows Oils a ring today, to check on price of 1000litre Waste Vegtable Oil.

I nearly fell over - 60p/litre!!!! I thought they had muddled up the virgin oil price with the waste oil price, but no, it really is 60p/litre. Don't bother giving them a call...
martin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

could this be the reason for the clan Frot invading frogland? - could he perchance be trying to sew up the trade in "deuxieme-main huile des frites Francais"..........all those chips, it makes sense! Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Paulh_Boats
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »

Maybe I should ask my daughter to get her job back in the local chip shop.  Smiley (A-levels got in the way).

Seriously though, something makes me think the full value of pure veggie oil is just under that of diesel. If thousands of cars can run it, folks will be happy to pay 20% less than diesel and demand will increase due to spiralling fossil costs and the environmental benifits.

If I'm right we can expect more and more companies to market veggy stuff and all the "waste" will increase in value significantly. In that case, the days of cheap veggie oil new or old will be on the decline?

-Paul
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »

Yep, I think you are right Paul. I've heard more than a few rumours that a lot of companies are hiring the oil, rather than selling it - thus retaining the rights to take it away. Can't see that this would work legally - what about the oil that's consumed - do they own that? Doesn't that make it their responsibility to pay for its disposal? What if a chip shop sells *really* greasy chips - do they have to pay extra, like those mileage penalty clauses in hire car contracts?

And if they can really get 60p a litre for used oil, shouldn't they be providing the virgin stuff to restaurants etc free of charge?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »

hi

i found that out two years ago..... that waste vegetable oil can be more expensive then new local produced one ( if you try to buy it from the collectors) , perhaps  or in the irish case they shipp it to germany to get good monney ... so the germans make biodiesel out of it ...to be sold at stations , and the biodiesel price i guess will go up like the oil price....

new local produced veggie oil is here about 50-55 pence

regards billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Ian
installers

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »

Around 6 months ago, when Arrow oils were advertising filtered WVO for 24p per litre, and I was desperate for some more oil, I contacted them to arrange an IBC delivery. But first, I wanted to know what they meant by "filtered", and to what specification they filtered to.

The bottom line was that they were prepared to sell me an IBC for 24p per litre plus VAT and 25 deposit on the IBC, delivered. They could not tell me anything at all about the filtration process and could not give a specification either.

I did not buy from them because I did not get the impression that they were a reputable company to deal with and they did not know the product they were selling. Besides, at that time, kerosene was more cost effective.

Others contacted were a massive oil re-processor in Birmingham (did not want to deal in small 1000 litre IBC quantities - even if I wanted 5 - 6 of them), and also a re-processor (or agent) in Southampton - he could provide oil but again, no specification, and higher prices than Arrow.

I have widened my collection activity now; I collect from 14 pubs each month and am looking to expand that again to about 30. As you can see, it is not a game for people who are time poor. It is becoming harder and harder to get hold of waste oil.

Regards,
Ian
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »

Ian, or anyone who knows. What is the typical volume you could expect to get from a pub, restaurant or chip shop  Huh

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Paulh_Boats
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »

What is the typical volume you could expect to get from a pub, restaurant or chip shop  Huh

Well, when we have had a few pints "Rule Brittania" can be heard streets away.  Wink Grin Grin
Ian
installers

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:40:30 AM »

Eleanor - Here is an attempt to answer....

It really depends on the number of fryers an establishment has - not so much how much business it does (but of course they are related).

Typically, a small food pub would have 2 fryers; they would generate about 20 - 30 litres of waste oil a month. Larger food pubs would probably have 4 fryers and generate around 40 - 50 litres a month of waste oil. Of course, over this period, they will consume about double these quantities with about half disappearing into the food.

Chip shops tend to use solid fat (hydrogenated). I try to avoid these guys because the waste oil is harder to process - and the oil providers are starting to take it back. Chip shops tend to abuse their oils and probably only discard 20 - 30% of the oil they consume (the rest going into the food). So a small turnover chip shop may generate only 20 litres per month (of solid fat) but the larger ones could be up to 60 litres and maybe more.

I have yet to find a single Chinese / Indian takeaway that discards their waste oil - they even claim it is "long life" so NEVER change it, or use it as a base for their sauces.

Generally, only 50 - 60%% of what I collect is useable oil. The rest is water, animal fats, starch, sugar, gums and water complexes.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
stephen
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »

Try canteens in largish workplaces they tend to have to buy the oil from a cash and carry. 

Stephen Grin
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »

Ian, thanks that answers my question perfectly - one or two small hotels with restaurants would probably be more than enough if they will let us have it. Can only ask.

What is the typical volume you could expect to get from a pub, restaurant or chip shop  Huh

Well, when we have had a few pints "Rule Brittania" can be heard streets away.  Wink Grin Grin

Paul, our favourite was "Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau" but I will now have to learn the words of "Flower of Scotland"  Grin.

Bob

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »

When you collect the oil from a restaurant you really get to know if you want to eat there or not!

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
Paulh_Boats
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »

Paul, our favourite was "Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau" but I will now have to learn the words of "Flower of Scotland"  Grin.

Dilys (wifey, Welsh) translated it for me...."my hen laid a haddock and I had it for tea".  Grin
Well thats how she remembered it at school.   Grin
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »

Dilys (wifey, Welsh) translated it for me...."my hen laid a haddock and I had it for tea".  Grin
Well thats how she remembered it at school.   Grin

Ah yes, DilysHBoats, I remember her well  Cheesy. She was always in detention for defiling The Great Song  Roll Eyes. And her rendition of "Sosban Fach" was quite legendary  Cool.

How many quotes in a quote is that? Martin will be impressed  police
For those of you depending on the spell check - the only word it didn't like in the above was "shop"  Huh. Obviously multilingual  laugh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: