navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum November 21, 2014, 11:57:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palm Oil ("Lard") versus diesel - a side by side test  (Read 2564 times)
KenB
Global Moderator

Energy Self Enlightenment

« on: May 17, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »

List, and Followers of St. Frotter,

This excellent pdf report describes a side by side test of two identical 8hp Listeroid engines, one running on diesel fuel, the other on palm oil.

Some interesting results - especially their excellent fuel consumption on palm oil of just 420 g of palm oil per electrical kWh.

http://www.codeart.org/en/technique/energie/huile_de_palme_combustible_moteur/060627s-Engine%20running%20on%20palm%20oil-%20anglais.pdf

Looks like the French have copied Frotter's Lardinator too!  Shocked

A bas les Francaises! whistlie

Ken
Chug

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »

I just came on to post this link and I see you beat me to it Ken and with a shorter url to boot.

So I'll copy your lead to the Ebay Volvox Exhaust Heat Exchanger
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
ITEM NO 250247519597

junk and disorderly
Chug
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »

Ken

Is this the heat exchanger you are using? It's something that is of interest to us so your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Eleanor

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
KenB
Global Moderator

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »

Eleanor,

Its similar in size but I suspect it has fewer internal tubes, simpler in design and is made of mild steel rather than stainless steel.

Best to give Mark Walker a ring at Volvox Engineering - or see his site and ask questions directly.

For a few pounds more - you could always try Mike Wilkinson at Steck Depositors as he has a stainless heat exchanger designed for the job.

Ken
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »

Ken
Thanks, hadn't noticed it was mild steel, just assumed it was stainless  wackoold. Must pay better attention!  tumble

Eleanor

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »

Mine is stainless steel,but I wouldn't worry too much about a mild steel unit - the engine block is iron, the radiators you will probably use are iron or steel etc. You don't worry about those, do you? Exhausts do tend to be a little corrosive - though not so much on biofuels, but it's not a major problem if the steel is relatively thick (think how long your car exhaust lasts, and that's only a mm or two.
Chug

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »

not a bad finishing bid though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/
Item No. 250247519597   

junk and disorderly
Chug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: