navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum October 24, 2014, 07:58:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pwm charging or not?  (Read 2883 times)
erbus

« on: June 24, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »

can anyone help out there with another charger question...

I have a solar charger that has a charge mode setting of pulse width charging on or just 'straight through' charging.

Does anyone know if there is any major benefit to using pwm charging.
I understand pwm is a more precise, controlled form of charging especially when the batteries are getting close to full, whereas the non pwm or raw panel volts going to batt is a bit harsher probably not allowing you to cram every last AH in.

The controller still offers full protection in either mode ie overcharge, low batt volts load disconnect etc so the batteries will not be damaged by either method.

Any ideas on significant pros would be welcome...

many thanks

martin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »

I'm a great fan of "pwm" charging - I've used it on battery banks with great success - it seems to be one of the few ways of really getting that last bit of charge in - with no apparent downsides at all! Grin
It can be very marked - charge a battery with a "good" car charger, one that "switches off when full", then put it on a pwm charger - it'll go on charging for quite a while.
I've had no problems even after long-term use Grin

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
erbus

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »

thanks martin,

I suspected it was all about 'stuffing the last bit in' but good to have that confirmed.

I manged to get hold of a 60a solar charger which i also intend to incorporate a wind turbine input (via a blocking diode)  hence the reason for turning off the pwm as everything i've read points to turbines with variable output not liking pwm.

Before you ask i have also found a way of dumping the turbines output using the chargers own 'battery charged signal' as I appreciate its ok to have the panel operating off load but not the turbine.

At least with your answer I can put both solar and wind thru the same power fet front end now.

many thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: