navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum August 23, 2014, 08:28:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: A plea from The David School - Issue 18 | Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulating the shed  (Read 7153 times)
MN

« on: July 30, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »

I assume someone has already insulated their shed!

I was thinking of  40mm silver backed rigid insulation with 18mm ply on the walls
Same on the roof with slightly thinner ply but leaving an air gap between the insulation and the roof of a couple of inches

Any ideas, tips or tricks from shed insulating experiences!!   Grin

Thanks

MN
billt

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »

When I did Lynnes shed/workshop we put 50mm PU on the floor. The walls and roof had 50mm mineral fibre between the framework and 50mm PU on top of it, all covered by plasterboard. That's probably going too far, if it's not going to be used that much the cheapest reasonably cost effective option would be mineral fibre bats between the timbers with plasterboard covering. If someone is going to occupying it and generating moisture, it might be worth putting a polythene vapour barrier inside the insulation.
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »

rockwool and plasterboard here, only have to heat it on the worst winter days! I use it most evenings for at least three hours, as its my office.

;-)
Ivan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »

My shed is insulated with 50ml kingspan and stirling board to line it out. Keeps it cool in summer, and last winter I didn't see the inside temperature fall much below 10C.

wookey

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:20:30 AM »

My previous shed/workshop was shiplap outside, 80mm or so rockwool, lining paper, OSB. Lined the doors too, and about 70% of the roof (2 polycarbonate panels for light - actually meant it could get too hot in summer). Easy to heat with a 0.5kW fan heater when it's really cold.

Current garage/shed is waiting for a new roof (and extension plan) before it gets a full insulation makeover. It is noticeable how damp and cold it is in comparison to the above (largely due to steel garage door with huge gap round it I suspect, as well as no insulation).

Wookey
MN

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »

I assume the silver on the back of the insulation acts as a vapour barrier.

No one has mentioned an air gap – would that mean no one has one?

Didn’t think of the door – good idea on that!

Thinking maybe rockwool on the roof as there  is a bit more space.

MN
Shay

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »

I assume the silver on the back of the insulation acts as a vapour barrier.

No one has mentioned an air gap – would that mean no one has one?

Didn’t think of the door – good idea on that!

Thinking maybe rockwool on the roof as there  is a bit more space.

MN

The foil will act as a vapour a barrier alright. However the joints between the boards will have to very tight preferably taped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: