navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
UK's most popular Renewable Energy Forum July 28, 2014, 01:19:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Installers of the Month - 2014 | Spreading Solar to Schools Across the UK | Farmers Encouraged to Harvest Solar Energy to Save Money
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do wood burners smell.?  (Read 8060 times)
Prozac

« on: September 07, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »

The wife is reluctant to have a wood burner as 'it'll make the house stink'...... she may have a point. Do they smell like an open fire?
sleepybubble

expect the unexpected, then its expected

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »

yes and no..... if your getting blow back down the chimney then it will stink the place up. If not then it will 'smell' hot. She should be more worried about the extra dust, not the smell.  Wink

;-)
kristen

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

"She should be more worried about the extra dust"

Good point Sad

The smell is a sort of slightly sweet smell, not at all unpleasant IME, and not like an open fire.  There is no smoke etc. from my wood boiler (it has a flue-bypass mode when you open the door, e.g. to re-fill it, so that it creates a strong draft and nothing comes out of the boiler door - also very helpful when lighting it as the positive air flow creates a roaring blaze in no time!).  

From a wood burning stove there will be some smoke / burning smell when you open the doors to top it up.  Any smoke blowing back into the house is annoying, of course, but the burning smell is quite pleasant IME - it doesn't smell like the place is burning down, or a pot has been left on the stove too long.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:08:18 PM by kristen » Logged
martin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »

Stink? - heavens to murgatroyd! Considering the average UK home atmosphere is a toxic chemical soup reeking of synthetic pheromones, often aided and abetted by those dreadful "plug-in" thingummyjigglers, bog "deodorants" and the long-term exudations from MDF, plywood, and synthetic foams as used in furnishing, carpet underlays...... not to speak of the toxic fire retardants sprayed willy nilly on fabrics.........someone suggests that burning wood may "stink" - no it doesn't, it's a splendid natural smell, and if you have the luck to get some apple wood, quite delightful........ garden

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
pphilpot

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:40:40 PM »

I noted that after our woodburner was installed (and used) in our double glazed centrally heated home I found that it pulled the air through the house - effectively freshening the whole house - and when we rarely switched on the central heating the hot radiators gave off a very distinctive 'central heating smell' (i.e. probably dust)...

... I now hate the smell of central heating (and the heat, and stuffiness Smiley )
desperate
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »

All good clean natural carcinogens, Eh Martin stir

Desp
martin
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

sooner take me chances with some woodsmoke..... Wink
-and the gentle niff of wood fires on the breeze come autumn is one of the more pleasant reminders of the change of season.......... garden

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
desperate
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »

Same as that,  Martin, I,m of the opinion that life is a terminal disease, might as well have fun on the way. Grin

Desp
Ivan
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »

Our woodstove doesn't smell at all. Bad flue design is the cause of smoke entering the room when you open the doors (or trying to do a John Wayne draw impression when opening the doors). Some wood can be pongy, though - eg oak. Also, spiders seem to like living in woodpiles, so you may introduce spiders into the house - which can be an issue for the fairer sex. We use flexi plastic tubs as wood baskets. Not so pretty beside the fire, but it does tend to keep the spiders/woodlice in the bucket rather than crawling over the carpet.

Don't let any of the replies put you off - we're highlighting very small issues. If you are really worried about it, go for a wood boiler in the garage
KLD

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »

Same here, no smell from the WBS. Get a flue design that provides enough draught, and you'll be OK.

When it's windy, our little stove make quite some noise.

In our new extension another flue pipe is installed, but not connected to anything yet. It serves as an early rain indicator (pling pling on the metal head) and transports the "cue... cue" of the wood pigeons right down into the dining room  Cheesy

Klaus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: