navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next years wood  (Read 9718 times)
Justme

« on: February 28, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »

This is our wood store filled ready for next years use. What is left of this years is now in builders bags on pallets under a tarp.

First two bays full (about 4 cubes) of Cedar slabs (the first cut of a log when milling)

Bays three & four. More Cedar & mainly Sycamore, about 5 cubes.

Bay 5, about 8 cubes with room for a bit more yet, again mainly Sycamore but also some hairy birch & oak.

Funny how tools always seem to collect on top of the wood pile.

The back of bays one & two. The other bays have cedar sidings that allow good air flow but give better water protection.

The green trays hold all the chibbly bits for kindling. Its well worth the time it takes to pick them up so you have a good supply of kindling if you need it.

Sneak preview of the following years wood.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Stuart

Engineer ..... at large

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

how do you process it? and how long does it take? looks a lot of work you've done there!

8kw woodburner, Big piles of wood, 20 tube solar panel, custom tanks, back up gas boiler, North walls internally insulated
1968 landy that runs on anything and a currently wild meadow garden.

Nr. Tow Law
Justme

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »

The stuff in the stores has been cut with a chainsaw & split on a tractor mounted hydraulic splitter.
It took a good few days of slogging it out for two people.

The big pile we are getting a man & processor in. Should do it in 2 days just with two of us helping.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Justme

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:07:40 PM »

Been busy today. Had a good solid day with great outdoor working weather (not to hot or cold).

Made an early start at 8 ish & the mist was still around & slight frost on the ground.

Nice clean work site, dint stay like that for long lol

Using a pallet & some 4x2 to hold the bags wide open with bungee cords. If you make one make it plenty bigger than the bags as mine is. Learnt that from previous jobs when the full bag was stuck fast in the frame.

The small dumpy bags are full of stones not wood

The saw dust soon mounts up. Will have a dumpy bag full by the end of the job. Would have been loads more with a chainsaw cutting the wood.

The first 8 1m3 vented bags neatly stacked up.

The first 8 were soon followed by another 8 by the end of the day.

16 m3 bags, not a bad days work.

We are prob just over half way through the pile. If tomorrow goes as well as today it will be a good day.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »

well impressed ... me  Grin  and i will not show that to my wife , while we runn out of timber for this winter  whistlie

beside the hard work i am impressed how you manage to fit so many big pictures in one message ( i thought its only 128 kb allowed )

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Justme

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »

well impressed ... me  Grin  and i will not show that to my wife , while we runn out of timber for this winter  whistlie

beside the hard work i am impressed how you manage to fit so many big pictures in one message ( i thought its only 128 kb allowed )

Billi

We used to run out of wood at the last house & we had more good storage space there too.

Prob cos I host them myself so bypasses the site limits.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
noelsquibb

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »

Justme

I think you have the edge on me   surrender

I posted a pic last night, showing my miserable stockpile and feeling smug that I would make it to the end of March

How many woodfires  are you running with that amount of fuel ?

Heres a pic of next years woodpile -

* woods.jpg (114.82 KB, 600x450 - viewed 653 times.)

mmmmm,  gravy
charlieb

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »

V Impressed.  We've processed about the same amount of wood this year (some to sell), but from fallen or thinned trees in wood, rather than a stack of 6 ft poles.  Makes for yet more handling, but at least we do most of the cutting in the wood, so saw dust isn't a problem.  Took a lot more than two man days in total.
Does that processor basically just cut and split in one action, or does it also lift the poles?    Trying to work out how much handling it avoids.               
And lots of nice waney edged boards floating around (logpile roof, etc).  I take it you have access to a woodmizer somewhere, right?  Great things. 
Justme

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »

At the min just one 5kw stove.
Using about 15m3 per year as its on 24 7 during the coldest months.

Come next year we will have a woodfired Rayburn doing DHW & a rad or two as well.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Justme

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »

Does that processor basically just cut and split in one action, or does it also lift the poles?    Trying to work out how much handling it avoids.               
And lots of nice waney edged boards floating around (logpile roof, etc).  I take it you have access to a woodmizer somewhere, right?  Great things. 

The logs are 8 footer plus ones.

This processor does not lift (some do). You lift one end on to the roller & then lift the other end & push it on. If the logs were big we just sectioned them to liftable bits. We also "caked up" the logs with a chainsaw that were to big to cut on the processor but would still fit on the splitter. That was much faster than the tractor mounted splitter too.

It cuts (using a blade not chain saw as some do) & then the "cake" drops into the splitter area. You can either split one at a time or line up two or three & do in one motion.
The shoot then lifts it into the bags or a trailer or even direct into a store.

The boards were milled on a "Jacko Forrestor" band saw mill.

A mate in the next wood down has one that I can use.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
cjdales

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »

Very impressed.
What do you do with the sawdust. Something tells me that you probably have a use for it.
Stevie D

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »

Nice setup - I've only just progressed from hand splitting to hydraulic unit on the tractor.  Starting to prep wood for a new build with a wood boiler setup, and some to burn in the open fire at (current) home (i know it's not the most efficient - I'm in the process of getting a small stove for the opening), and a few bags to sell.

Nice looking wood shelter with the milled boards - was going to try a cahinsaw mill to create similar stuff for my own use.

Steve

Off grid 400ft2 log cabin
640ah 24v VRLA battery pack - it was Free :-)
700watt (1000 watt peak) windturbine
60amp Dump load controller
Chinese thermal solar tubes
Resol Solar pump station
50amp ex military dc genset - now coupled to  Lister cs 6
3kw Sterling Invertor
frotter

I'm not gay or owt....

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

Justme

They special hardwood treacle-mine Bluebells then..?
Suppose some of yer old out of work treacle mine dwarf buddies will be swinging their tiny axes to fell that lot then. Be glad of the work, they will.

bike

HE WHO CONTROLS THE LARD - CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE!!   Its me, incidentally..
Justme

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »

Very impressed.
What do you do with the sawdust. Something tells me that you probably have a use for it.

Er yes. We only use a compost loo so use it as a cover material.

Bet your glad you mentioned it now.

Nice looking wood shelter with the milled boards - was going to try a cahinsaw mill to create similar stuff for my own use.

Steve

Dont even try to do thin boards with a chainsaw mill.
It will do them but as the chain is so wide you loose nearly as much as you gain.
Chain mills are good for thick beams.

Justme

Suppose some of yer old out of work treacle mine dwarf buddies will be swinging their tiny axes to fell that lot then. Be glad of the work, they will.

Have you found the "special" mushroom patch?

Another busy day today. Managed to another 18 1m3 bags. There is still enough left to fill about 3 more bags but the light was failing so we had to stop.

30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
noelsquibb

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »

The woodland elves complained about their singing, seems they prefer the sound of small two strokes ....

Have you found the "special" mushroom patch?

Funnily enough about 12 years ago, the sheep grazing and grass growth was optimal for the magics and we ended up with an almost continuous undercrop over a couple of acres.
The local youngsters cottoned on and were forever looking for a lost hat ( blown in the wind ) or other lame pretext to be in our field with carrier bags.

0.50 for two dried tops was the going rate back then. I guess that particular crop was potentially worth millions.
Ive never seen em since but the seeds must be lying there dormant .....

Apparently the effect of brewing a good handful in a tea cup is to make colours shift towards green or orange.

Course I never tried em  angel

mmmmm,  gravy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: