navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blade set or springs for a proven 2,5  (Read 6020 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »

it woud,nt really matter paul,
                    the big thing would be that the springs are exactly equal in tension any varation will mean that the pitch of the blades will differ and the balance will be affected.proven have it well thought out,if the wrong springs are fitted and the turbine self distructs there will be no come back. so the sensible thing is to persue proven for the proper springs.if they do not have them then tell them that they should get them.
   i am serious folks ,they need to wake up,!! i have no problem getting my hands on yang shen spares and they come from thousands of miles away., they love to do business and if you ask for a set of blades,the chances are they will throw in a hub to be sure you suceed. they cannot do enough to help you.there is a massive difference in attitude.
                                            biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
bram

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

Ah.... free length not really important, so it must only be set force for a given length, very roughly what are the spring sizes, length. dia and wire size??

22 sharp pv, Diehl platinum 3800 s, 40x47mm navitron tubes, 2 x stovax brunels with back boilers in series. Triple coil hw tank. immersun 2, klover 120 pellet stove/boiler, immersun.
camillitech

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

I'm with you 100% Biff, Proven really need to get their act together, my point is that it's easy enough to test a compression spring like a valve spring. All you need to do is get an old one and new one and squeeze them together in a vice. Not so easy with a stainless steel expansion spring 12" long. Fair enough you can take all the measurements, but I've tried and been unable to find a supplier willing to sell just one or two springs. Me I'm sorted as I have a few spares but I'd love to find some more. If you can find a supplier Bram then I'd be the first to use them.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
bram

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »

Paul, sorry wasn't being clear enough, and maybe hadn't understood your problem properly, what I was getting at was not sourcing cheaper spring but just having a reliable method to determining if and when new springs were actually required.

22 sharp pv, Diehl platinum 3800 s, 40x47mm navitron tubes, 2 x stovax brunels with back boilers in series. Triple coil hw tank. immersun 2, klover 120 pellet stove/boiler, immersun.
Baz

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »

Out of curiosity I would be interested to see pictures of this bit of mechanism if anyone has some.
camillitech

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 06:29:36 AM »

Hi Baz,

there's a picture of one on here http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/an-unexpected-lowering/

and some more here

and here's a 'temporary' repair I did on the broken bracket some years ago  Roll Eyes

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Baz

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »

Thanks. I also found one other broken spring pic on the web at http://www.easdalepeople.org.uk/?cat=4
It does look like a very easy spring to make having no awkward ends and no preset coil gap. I would think a spring manufacturer could identify the material quite easily because there are probably only a few standard spring wire specs that get used. That leaves the heat treatment as a variable that can be determined by microscopic examination and experiment.
It does sound like Proven need a bit of a jolly-up. Suprised someone from there isn't on the forum or at least somewhere active in the renewables community.
Finally it looks like a rather odd hinge arrangement with one 'unsprung' and presumably regulated by centrifugal force?
njord

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »

Sounds like a great advert for good old fixed blade turbines with a furling system to me. Simple is most certainly best in my book.
Tombo

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »

There is a company in Bristol that will make springs to your specification via mail order. I had them copy some stainless springs for me last year when I couldn't find them off the shelf.

I have no link to the company other than as a customer.
camillitech

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »

Hi Tombo,

do they have a name it would be good to find a supplier.

Cheers, Paul

Tombo

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »

Hi Paul,
          My contact there was :
Myra Buckle
Company Accountant / Administrator
Flexo Springs Limited
Hill Street
Kingswood
Bristol
BS15 4HB
Tel 0117 9673313
Fax 0117 9352597
email sales@flexosprings.com   
Co Number 228767
www.flexosprings.com
ISO Registration No 3080
Registered in England no. 228767
camillitech

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Many thanks for that Tombo, will give her a bell.

Cheers, Paul

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: