navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-MCS installations and the RHI  (Read 3503 times)
_Adrian

« on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

I'm about to research and design a domestic hot water (including solar thermal) and central heating system - which will possibly involve using an ASHP. Unfortunately, the timing of which is likely to be just before the DECC finally announce the details of the RHI. The Navitron FAQs say:

"Should I wait for the RHI to begin before getting my installation done?
As long as the installation takes place after July 2009, then you should qualify for RHI. If it is installed by a MCS-approved installer it should qualify, but it is fairly likely that non-MCS installations will also qualify up until the point at which the government publishes installation requirements and standards. You should be paid the RHI for all renewable heat generated from the 1st April 2011 onwards."

So non-MCS installations are fairly likely to qualify... Is this likely to apply to both solar thermal and ASHP installations? The thing is I've had a couple of quotes from MCS accredited installers and they're expensive, so I'm considering DIY to some extent.

However, the FAQs also say:
"How do I qualify?
You will most likely need to have MCS-approved equipment installed by an MCS-approved installer. Any installation after July 2009 should qualify. Navitron can arrange MCS-approved installations on request."

So now it's 'most likely' to need MCS-approved installers. Damn. Has anyone heard anything more concrete on this, and when the details are likely to be published?

Thanks,

Adrian
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:44:56 AM »

Personally I would say that non-MCS installations are unlikely to qualify. There are transitional arrangements included in the original DECC RHI consultation document that cover the eligibility requirements for systems installed in the intervening period from July 2009 to the start of the scheme - now expected to be June or July 2011 - and they only allow MCS installations.

The full details were first expected last December, then slipped to January, then to February or maybe even later.

Doing anything non-MCS now would be a big gamble.

Volunteer moderator
BruceB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »

The Government has published some transition arrangements for post Jul 09 installations as part of the RHI consultation.  That includes: MCS equipment, MCS installer, x2 quotes from MCS accredited installers stating inter alia the calculated heat lead.  Personally, I see no reason for them to soften those published requirements when the final details are announced.  Read them here:
http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/Consultations/RHI/1_20100204094844_e_@@_ConsultationonRenewableHeatIncentive.pdf
Transition arrangements are on page 64.
_Adrian

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:19:33 PM »

Thanks guys
chrisp

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

I'v not long finished the mostly DIY installation of a Solar Thermal system with the help of a scaffolder (Kevin) and my favoured plumber (Richard), who had previously installed my unvented solar hot-water cylinder last year when he replaced my gas boiler (I think he thought I was a bit mad, but it all became clear to him last week).

Because of my pre-existing Solar PV install (August 2010) on my SE facing roof, my Solar Thermal system is located on the NW side...  I KNOW, not exactly ideal, but my experience of my conservatory facing the same way, getting to 40 Degrees C of a sunny evening, led me to believe that it's just fine and I've had a free shower and washing-up every day since completing the install (even the less sunny days).

The hot-water tank hardly loses any temperature through the night and the cylinder is at temperature before noon on sunny days and before I get home of an evening even on cloudy days.  I could almost think about getting some sort of thermal store for the better days.

Here is it, live: http://solarhw.hq.rainbow-it.net:8014/dl2/live/data.svg

I have done it to save gas (& associated bills), get free hot water & oh yeah, for the environment (a bit).  However, I'm not totally mad and I'd be happy to take some RHI if I could get my system looked over and signed off by an MCS-accredited installer, I definitely would (if there was a small enough fee involved).  How likely does this forum think that might be?

Cheers,
--

ChrisP

BruceB

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »

Its tricky. MCS installers will not want to say publically they would contemplate that.  But you might get a bite from someone if you say where you are and confirm you have used MCS accredited (or equiv) panels, followed the requirements in the installer standard MIS-3001 and those in the good practice guide CE131.  The assessment body of the MCS installer can choose an installation to visit so it would need to be able to satisfy them.
Regards
Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: