navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Cost OptiSmart Electric Meter Reader  (Read 29317 times)
Automan

« on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »

Ordered yesterday morning, and now arrived.

First thing you must do before purchase is to check the list of meters at http://currentcost.com/product-optismart.html to make sure your meter/s are supported.

Comes in a small plain box

Contains transmitters and LED sensor unit.

Choice of three self adhesive plates to attach to meter, sensor gadget is magnetic so just sticks to these.

No instructions manual supplied Sad

Sensor on my Ampy L&G Meter (I used the base with the red tape).

Transmitter on top of consumer unit.

The only instructions for setting up are in the EnviR manual.

http://currentcost.com/download/CurrentCost%20EnviR%20Man-Singles.pdf

The display seems to have to be paired twice, once on channel 9 to set the LED pulse rate (unit was at 600 had to press button on transmitter to set it to 1000).

Then pair it again on the main channel.

I also paired it with my older Envi display at the same time as I paired the EnviR display.

I have yet to try the my other one on my MicroPV electric meter as with no instructions this will be a bit hit & miss (they say two optismarts or more can be paired with the same display).

Reading seems correct saying 252 watts.
If I plug my laptop in
After 14 seconds 255watts
After 22 seconds 297watts
After 26 seconds 306watts

My meter only flashes it's LED once per watt of energy used so the smaller the load the less "flashes" the unit has to work with.

However, in theory the reading should match the electric bill - Only time will tell...

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

Just paired the second one with the electric meter on my 3 x 185 watt PV install.

Set the meter pulse rate to match the meter (this one was already on 1000, the other one was on 600).

After it ends data pairing mode it says "Data"

I then paired the display to chn1.

Attached sticky base around right LED.

Clipped on sender

Display says 60 watts and a IAM on the same panels says 64 watts so it seems to work.

Just need some sunshine Smiley

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »

So far so good Smiley

Both units seem to be producing results I would expect and are a close match to my Brultech system as well as my daily estimates for power consumption.

The readings are about 30% lower than from my old current cost clamp gadgets which always seemed to read high.

The one on my PV meter accurately read 0 watts all night and at the moment (still raining) says 127 watts (some sun light).

I have also set them up on http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=4392&sid=3467 but of course my system does not really rate this due to low output.

Automan.
shambolic

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »

You say you then paired the display to channel 1 - I dont quite understand what you did there. Is this a pairing within the EnviR, or something else?
Automan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »

You say you then paired the display to channel 1 - I dont quite understand what you did there. Is this a pairing within the EnviR, or something else?

The OptiSmarts seem to tie up two channels on the EnviR

My main meter one is on channel 9 for data and the main channel for the live reading.

My generation meter is on channel 9 for data and channel 1 for the live reading.

Automan.
AlanIOW

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »

Hi Automan

I see you say you have paired it up with your Envi as well as the EnviR, what do you not get with the older Envi? Also what is the difference between "Data" and "Live" readings?

Alan

Panasonic 12kW T-Cap ASHP, 3.96kWp, 22 Sharp NU-180 Panels, Sunny Boy 4000TL, 15 Panels SSE, 7 Panels SSW, all 18 Degree Slope. Location - Isle of Wight. Live output can be seen here; http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=2476&sid=1872
Automan

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »

Hi Automan

I see you say you have paired it up with your Envi as well as the EnviR, what do you not get with the older Envi? Also what is the difference between "Data" and "Live" readings?

Alan

I don't actually know either Sad

I have asked the question on the CC support forum but I guess no answer till after the Bank Holiday...

Now it has been up for a full day I can compare readings....

26/08/11 - Day Totals
MyCurrenCost Says = 8.4kWh - Using OptiSmart
PVOutput Says = 8.339kWh - Using OptiSmart
Brultech s/w Says = 8.82kwh
Brultech 3rd Party s/w Says = 8.911kWh

Automan.
greentangerine

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »

Also what is the difference between "Data" and "Live" readings?

The are no values displayed on the appliance 9 screen - it just says 'data' in the box marked KWHr.  The main display shows the power values as usual.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210 / SB2500)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P / SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250 / SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro / Torrent T280 RE OV / SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn with 10,000 BTU boiler
immerSUN 2
PV Output
greentangerine

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »

First thing you must do before purchase is to check the list of meters at http://currentcost.com/product-optismart.html to make sure your meter/s are supported.

As I've posted on another thread, the Actaris SM0 meter doesn't appear to work with Optismart - it isn't mentioned as either supported or not on the CurrentCost web site.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210 / SB2500)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P / SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250 / SB1600)
65 x 58mm SunnPro / Torrent T280 RE OV / SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn with 10,000 BTU boiler
immerSUN 2
PV Output
Automan

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »

Some information on the gadget has been posted by CC including the Meter Read bit....

http://currentcost.posterous.com/optismart-guidelines-for-developers

Automan.
Automan

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »

I also asked if it would upload the meter reading data with the new MultiChannel NetSmart Bridge device and allow you to set a meter start value so it matches your meter.

ANS. "OptiSmart has been integrated with the new bridge, so this does upload the meter reading and allows to add the start reading."

Sounds interesting but still no date for the new NetSmart Bridge other than it should be soon  faint

Automan.
volt

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »

I'm just trying to understand the figures you can obtain from the Optismart....

When you add an Opismart to the main meter it will show your usage from zero upwards. With the Opitismart on the PV meter it will show generation from zero upwards.

So if your generating 5KW and consuming 1KW on your display it will show zero on the main meter reading and 5KW on the PV meter display but you will not know how much you are exporting/consuming.

Is this correct?
Automan

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »

Correct on all points and the snag is as you have pointed out it will not give you a true reading of what your house is consuming when the PV is active. During hours of darkness the consumption value should be correct.

It would seem the at the new version of my.currentcost.com that you would be able to set a initial value for the meter readings and this will also confirm if the units are really 100% accurate as they claim...

Automan.

I'm just trying to understand the figures you can obtain from the Optismart....

When you add an Opismart to the main meter it will show your usage from zero upwards. With the Opitismart on the PV meter it will show generation from zero upwards.

So if your generating 5KW and consuming 1KW on your display it will show zero on the main meter reading and 5KW on the PV meter display but you will not know how much you are exporting/consuming.

Is this correct?
Automan

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »

OptiSmarts are out of stock till the end of the month...

New stock should be available by the end of September.

I wonder how many they sold?

Automan.
volt

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »

Could you add a third sensor with a donut connected to the feed to the fuse box also feeding back to the Envir so you can then work out your consumption/Export?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: