navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proven turbine problems  (Read 34247 times)
timbo

« on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »

Any rumours about what happened to the Proven P35-2?

Maybe failures were caused by hurricane Katia hitting Scotland last w/e??

Tim.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:54:23 AM by martin » Logged

4m^2 wet solar panel, wood stoves. 10kW roof mount P.V. grid connected.
6kW Kingspan turbine expected soon.
rondurrans

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »

Just visited their website and got this:-

* Proven Website.JPG (58.41 KB, 559x330 - viewed 8094 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:53:13 AM by martin » Logged

4 kW PV Array on the North Wales Coast - http://energy1.moonfruit.com/
'Nullius in verba' & 'Nothing Endures but Change' (Heraclitus)
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »

Anybody else think that timbo's post, raising quite serious concerns about a company without citing any sources, is a bit off?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:53:29 AM by martin » Logged
martin

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »

hope he's got a good lawyer! whistlie
I'm given to "going for the jugular" when it's warranted, but even I wouldn't risk such a statement without proof.........

ok, executive decision taken - I'll alter the title (Timbo isn't online) to save him from himself
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:54:00 AM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
climber

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »

Sorry to hear this news:

http://www.rechargenews.com/business_area/finance/article278045.ece

I live very close to the Proven factory, this is bad news for the small wind turbine sector.

8 x SolarWorld 245W Mono Black Panels and Power One PVI-2000 Inverter (FIT)
4 x Solar Kinve 235 W Panels and Growatt 1000S Inverter (Non FIT!!!)
timbo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »

I guess I should have cited the public information in the OP.

Proven have made a public statement about "acute problems" with the P35-2.
LCA (81% shareholder in Proven) have made a stock exchange announcement writing their (£11M) investment off, LCA shareprice has consequently taken a BIG hit.
Multiple press coverage about cash crisis at Proven.

I shouldn't have assumed you all have read it, sorry!

I was/am in the process of buying a P11 so I believe in the product, I am already exposed to the planning costs and groundworks cost. The public information inevitably makes me feel it would be unwise to send them money if they are close to administration as I would lose it all and get no turbine.

Maybe they will get the cash to keep going, I hope at least there will be an MBO for the P11 and P7 products.

Thanks for the edit Martin, do whatever you need to do to keep you/me out of jail :-)

Tim.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:32:42 PM by timbo » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:11:03 PM »

Sad news indeed but I've always said that scaling something up that performs well seldom works, the 2.5Kw is bombproof, the 6Kw (just a bigger version) had plenty of issues until recently and the 15Kw or whatever they call it now was a disaster  sh*tfan

Stands back and waits for a long list of Bergay owners to reply  hysteria  hysteria  hysteria

Still my 2.5 is approaching it's seventh winter, has only had a few quid spent on it and never been down for more than a day.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »

Tim, you shouldn't be sending any money direct to Proven. You should be buying one (if at all) via an MCS/REAL warrantied installer, which will keep your money, at least relatively, safe.

Volunteer moderator
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

BBC now reports Proven in administration - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-14953786

sh*tfan

Volunteer moderator
timbo

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »

Hi Ted,

My turbine money is with an approved installer and is safe. I have still invested a considerable amount of time and money in the project though.

It's better now they are in administration, fingers crossed for a quick MBO, even that will need some funding which might not be simple these days.

I feel for the people who have bought P35-2's who may have lost everything. Let's make sure people are reminded of this risk when the apparent "great " returns from FIT's are criticised.

Tim.

dhaslam

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »

and the 15Kw or whatever they call it now was a disaster  sh*tfan

They should have called it the P45 instead of P35.

The way the company didn't have a great record of dealing with customer complaints, judging by the postings on various websites but the final nail in the coffin must have been the ease of  buying, installing and maintaining PV in the UK.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »

Agreed. I think the market distortions brought about by both FiTs and MCS have their first victim.

Volunteer moderator
Eleanor
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »

Love 'em or hate 'em it's a sad day. I can't help thinking that the problem with the P35-2 was just the final straw for the investor. There didn't seem to be enough time allowed for transition products to get through the MCS approval and this must have led to a huge drop in sales due to the uncertainty as to whether the P7 and P11 would get certified and when. The P11 was certified, presumably at a not insignificant cost, a few weeks ago and for what? I expect Proven made mistakes along the way but the ruthless decision to cut off the transition period at the end of June when companies were obviously still in the process of getting products certified must have had an impact. If they had made the cut off Dec 31st 2011 or had a slightly more flexible approach how different would it be? Huh  onpatrol

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
splyn

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 01:57:28 AM »

the P-35-2 is the largest turbine in Provenís stable and was the companyís first model to be accredited to the UKís Microgeneration Certificate Scheme (MCS),

Sad news. And hardly likely to enhance the reputation of MCS accreditation. Not that it means diddly squat to many here, at least with respect to PV. Ironically I expect it actually is much more useful as a guide to the quality of wind turbines - if nothing more than demanding realistic performance figures. I don't know anything about MCS and wind turbines though other than its expensive so I'm probably talking rubbish.

Splyn
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: