navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different Turbine Design ?  (Read 5253 times)
Lurk

« on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »

Spotted this in the news and thought it looked different to what i have seen before - maybe its already been looked at by this group ? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16814752
Lurk
Lurk

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »

It looks similar to the vertical types Ive seen Im sure - but maybe I'm missing something - it will be interesting to see if the Peak Park planners let something such as this be installed in the NP ?
dhaslam

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »

Video here, doesn't seem to be very convincing, they don't have it working with a fan. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-16833204

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
martin

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »

hysteria I see the teapot season is kicking off early this year.......... here we have the "fallen over HAWT" - yet another attempt to bamboozle a gullible public into believing that we can overturn the laws of physics....... facepalm

For the third time, in as many weeks - http://www.wind-works.org/articles/small_turbines.html#Inventions & Questionable Wind Turbines

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Sean

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »

hysteria I see the teapot season is kicking off early this year.......... here we have the "fallen over HAWT" - yet another attempt to bamboozle a gullible public into believing that we can overturn the laws of physics....... facepalm

For the third time, in as many weeks - http://www.wind-works.org/articles/small_turbines.html#Inventions & Questionable Wind Turbines

I think you are being overly quick to dismiss this concept, look at what they are trying to achieve

''would be able to make power from low and high wind speeds, unlike current turbines''

I'd love a turbine that could carry on generating in high winds, real winds like we regularly get here in Orkney - without the need to self regulate in order to protect mechanically limted current designs
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »

I think you are being a bit unfair martin,
                       This is a gallant effort and people who buy this will also get a little book of instructions explaining what the rest of the kit in the box is for.They will get instructions on how to convert it into the most desirable see-saw on the planet with further advice on keeping the kids going up and down on it 24/7 for better performance.This way they get to maximum output and save money on the babysitter.
                                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bodidly

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »

Looks like a chocolate teapot to me.
 I do understand why some people don,t like the look of horizontal axis machines.
I have had an idea could you suspend a turbine from a LARGE power kite then it is so high you won't notice it. This is probably nuts but I can't get the idea out of my head.
CeeBee

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

I don't believe that people at universities are stupid, so no way am I just going to dismiss it - what is it about this forum sometimes - even been known to have messages slagging off David Mackay and his (in my mind) excellent book "Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air", seemingly just because "He's a university professor..."

So: the model shows a thing sitting on the ground with aerofoils that flap up and down. As it stands, it looks like it would still have to rotate to face the wind - perhaps the mechanism to do this is still to be added? Or is it in fact supposed to be mounted at 90 degrees to the way the model is? But then (as someone else said) it would be quite like other VAWT (vertical axis) turbines, except instead of rotating continuously, it would flap back and forth. Why? A typical VAWT also has blades where all parts move at the same speed if that's the problem (unlike on typical HAWT blades). And mounting near the ground, whilst it might overcome public objection, seems like putting it where there's no wind - it might well work in low wind speeds, but that means there's so much less power there to be extracted.

As I say, I don't suppose the developers are stupid; we're probably missing something by the time it's been dumbed down by the reporting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:58:28 PM by CeeBee » Logged

clivejo

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

Those aerofoils would product one hell of a lift in a gale!!  Id like to know how the wind see-saw produces electric, and how you prevent the see-saw from taking off in a gale!

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
renewablejohn

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

I don't believe that people at universities are stupid, so no way am I just going to dismiss it - what is it about this forum sometimes - even been known to have messages slagging off David Mackay and his (in my mind) excellent book "Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air", seemingly just because "He's a university professor..."

Unfortunately I dont have that much faith in "professors". Quite often they have been in close proximity with others of the same calibre and lose all grip on reality. All fine and dandy within the confines of the universities but falls apart when applied to the real world. Mackay unfortunately is a prime example using his status to give credence to his book yet finds it difficult to admit that whole sections of his book are just wrong and really should have been withdrawn and republished with the correct facts and assumptions. That however would have resulted in a different story being told which would not have been in line with present government policy and would make his current job untenable.
Baz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

The back one is pushing in the opposite direction so you can always adjust them so the net force is down.
It would be great if it did work - a yard high in place of a fence so the National Park planning parasites could get stuffed.
University bods are indeed sometimes clever but rarely have any practical or business capability being always sheltered by the cushey subsidised environment of acedemia. They should have had a working model inside a week but probably have spent a few months modelling it on a computer instead but for them it is all about the process and the 'paper' they will write, not about turning a return on investment. Plus you can't get a grant for something that isn't a bit whackey and if the idea were really a runner the chinese would already be copying them.
Lurk

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »

Peak Park would probably like a dry stone wall 13 feet high around it at a safe working distance to keep the kids,wild deer, hares, etc out ....after weeks in the planning office I'm sure they would be able to get a workaround - alas any hope of light breeze behind the wall would kill it off. So its back to the rooftops and vibrations etc etc
djh

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

I think there's a tidal generator that operates in a similar fashion - sorry I don't remember any names or details. The basic idea has also been considered for decades in 'faster than the wind' sailing research. There's no fundamental problem with the idea, but there's no magic either. It still needs to intercept a large cross-sectional area of an airstream moving fairly fast if its going to generate lots of power.

Cheers, Dave
Sean

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

there really is nothing new about this design

SteveH

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

Look at the size of the support frame that has to accelerated & decelerated twice for every complete cycle, thats going to eat most of the power generated.

Then you have that long control airfoil, suspended between two long arms pointing forward into the airflow & they don't even have a central shaft to control displacement of the arms relative to each-other.

How do you turn it into the wind?

IMO, as designed It will shake itself to bits in anything but a breeze...

My vote is four star CTP...

Preveli, South Crete.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: