navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Hugh Piggott 3.7m Wind Turbine.  (Read 43824 times)
clockmanFR

« on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »

Another Wind Turbine to the collection, and sadly this will probably be my last 3.7m diameter.

This is to Hugh's design for his 3.6m, but my fiberglass blade moulds are 50mm oversize on the length.

As you all know Hugh's Turbines are the real McCoy designed and built for every environment and tested/flown for well over 20 years or more. I like his simple and yet elegant concepts and his geometry for auto furling is excellent, his blade design is highly efficient and matches spot on for the power outputs and even produces in 3m per second breezes.

For more information on making your own see Hugh's book, "A WIND TURBINE RECIPE BOOK" very reasonably priced, or visit his Site,  scoraigwind.co.uk

I do not know Hugh and never met the guy, but to me the chap deserves a Medal for releasing all his info.

I will document this build, and post some pics as i go.

Pic1, All the stuff required.

Pic2, The Hardware /Mechanical bit, the Frame that will take the PMG on the stubaxle, (Peugeot Boxer van, Fiat Ducatto, Citroen Relay, all use the same rear stub axle with the biggest being 130mm dia, 5 wheel stud. I have used a Vauxhall Van sealed unit on my Turbine No 1).

Pic3, All mast top metal work ready for final painting including the 2 meter long tail.
Interestingly i find this needs a fair bit of concentration and you need to follow Hugh's notes absolutely explicitly line by line.
There are 4 very important angles, 3 to 4 degrees PMG mount is tilted back (stops blades hitting tower), 20 degree tilt for the tail hinge and at the same time 55 degrees angle aligning with the main mast tube.
I end up with all sorts of stuff keeping everything in its correct place as i tack weld it all up. 

Next will be winding the coils for 48v output.

* P1060059b.JPG (117.21 KB, 323x430 - viewed 2223 times.)

* P4170148a.JPG (86.71 KB, 399x300 - viewed 2357 times.)

* P4170146a.JPG (101.49 KB, 323x430 - viewed 2207 times.)

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
martin

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »

Excellent stuff!  - really refreshing to see a thread like this, and confirms the excellence of the turbine design!

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
kernelpower

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

Did you ever get this made, would love to see pictures , I built a 10 footer but haven't got round to building wooden blades so its half assing around with some metal ones at the moment.

Regards

Gavin
clockmanFR

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

Hi kernelpower,
Still at it, when i get chance.

By Orders of her indoors, "No more Turbines until you have the house fully habitable," working on the library at the moment, and i need to get a move on, or it will be to cold to fiberglass cast my blades.

I made moulds for Hugh's design of blades for this 3.7m diameter 12 footer as getting hold of good cedar or just good seasoned quarter sawn wood is very difficult. The moulds are an exact copy of Hugh's blades.

Pic.... Left side, is the woven fabric 200gm ply patterns. And right is my moulds for the blades.  I had to reinforce and really stiffen the moulds, so the blade stays the correct shape. 

* P2270427a.JPG (84.53 KB, 1175x1567 - viewed 2122 times.)

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Clockman, you'll have to run us through the fabrication of those blades sometime.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
clockmanFR

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

Will do Stan, just got get this ruddy house sorted so i can light the Log Stove.
 Twit here put all the boxes of books, thousands of books, in the Salon in front of the stove. I never thought this job would drag on 2 months.  surrender

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »

Everything in time Clockman,
                          Thats the problem with having so many exciting projects on the go.You sometimes have to forgo the ones you love the most otherwise nothing would ever get finished yet knowing the perfect Hugh Piggott turbine is lying waiting to be finished and tweeked would be a massive spur.She has been busy creating Objects de,Art which will wing its way towards chez Clockman in the near future.
                One of these objects will complete your image and the other will grace the high life.Even now the air is loaded with mystry. whistlie
                                                                 Biff angel

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »

All I hope is, that you get your bits in one piece, and the ruddy lorry pallet stacker has not bent the blades pallets in half.
 So I HAVE ALL MY EXTREMITIES, you know fingers and things, CROSSED and.. signofcross

I await your expectant delivery with baitted breath.

Oh Eck, i do hope its okay?

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »

Dont worry Clockman,
                       Everything will be fine, fingers crossed! We should know tomorrow, Grin
                                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
kernelpower

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »

Hopefully you will get it done , its a shame to have all that hardware sitting around , maybe you should tell the wife you need the space for some nice lady stuff Smiley

Keep us posted with the pics I will get my project done ,I have made friends with a carpenter with years experience we have already talked about blade templates so hopefully we can get it done!!

Peace

Gavin
clockmanFR

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »

K P, Good to here you are going to carve Hugh's design of blades.

My first set of 3.7m were American cedar, but one blade was from a different bit of timber from a different tree, and would you believe, it was denser and hence heavier than the other 2.  Shocked

I like Hugh's blades as they start of with a good angle of attack and then thin out to a straight aerofoil section with the tip being 7mm thick.

I now have. (given) 2 sets  at 3.6m dia and 2 sets at 4.5m dia, of those blade /paddles from the Chinese Y.S. and they are one size of aerfoil and do not twist like Hugh's. I have not tried them yet but that will be next year after i have finished the last of the Hugh Piggotts.

"Lady stuff", no way, There is oodles of space here, its just getting things finished.

clockmanFR

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »

Very cold outside so can not do any cement work on the new door in the barn.

I need to use the Vinyest-er Resin as it has a short shelf life once opened.

So here we are making the Coil Stator.

12 Coils, with 75 turns of enamelled coated copper 1.8mm diameter wire.
Each coil is 12mm thick, and i use plywood betwen 2 sets of coils and put some heavy weights on top to keep them at 12mm thick.

Pic1.       Shows my set up. On the floor is a 6kg reel of 1.8mm diameter enamelled copper wire. I tighten up the spindle of the 6Kg reel so it acts as a friction clutch and keeps the winding under tension.

Pic2.      First double bend in the wire and twisted.

Pic3 & 4.      My way of tape-ing up the coils once i have finished winding on my winding machine. I use a strong insulation tape and stick it to the end of a thin short bit of clean clock spring, it then is very easy to fit through the coil and gives more tape holding the coil together.

* P2170354a.jpg (104.6 KB, 507x676 - viewed 1609 times.)

* P2170355a.jpg (100.75 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1761 times.)

* P2180357a.jpg (93.92 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1770 times.)

* P2180359a.jpg (101.89 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1736 times.)

clockmanFR

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »

Pic5.       The wing nuts are undone and the outer cover comes off and then the coil just gently slides off.

Pic6.     The 12 coils, I normally make a few more coils and select the best and those of a similar weight + or - 5%,  are laid out on my Jig board that has a centre island that hold the coils in position while i solder the joints.  As the copper is thick its a rugger to keep in place while soldering. So i use 2 little wooden blocks with some heavy metal stock to keep the wires in place.

Pic7.    Coils 1, 2, and 3 center wires are joined together to start the series/Star 3 phase Stator. Each side of this fixed stator will revolve a steel disc with 16 Neo magnets on, the magnets are the same size of the centre hole of a coil.
Wiring is coil 1 to 4, to 7 and 10 then out.  Coil 2 to 5, to 9 and 11 then out.  Coil 3 to 6, to 10 and 12 then out, so just the 3 wires come out, i normally connect the 1.8mm diameter to 6mm/2 Triphase, (very flexible flex) and do the joints so they are embedded in the stator.
I use gluelined shrink tubing on all the soldered joints.

* P2180361a.jpg (93.47 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1839 times.)

* P2180362a.jpg (109.14 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1704 times.)

* P2180363a.jpg (112.19 KB, 676x507 - viewed 1752 times.)

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »

Brilliant pics C/M,
                 Easy to follow instructions and it makes me want to have a go and build one of these generators.I have a selection of forklift battery chargers which contain big transformers loaded with that type of copper wire but maybe you can only use it once because of the varnish or covering on it might be broken.I can understand why you get such satisfaction out of making these turbines.
                                                            Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »

Yes, very clear photos enabling me to work out the things you've not told us. Like Biff I would like to know how easy it is to damage the enamel on the wire. It will soon be buried in resin.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: