navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASHP running for one year now - happy with results  (Read 6735 times)
bassman

« on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »

My Daikin 16K monobloc will have been running for one year tomorrow 25 Sept 2012

Usage 4135 units Peak Rate and  4066 units Economy 7

Running cost £965 ASHP and £175 for booster heater for DHW - TOTAL £1140. Electricity costs are to fall by 14% from 1 October 2012 in NI so this cost should decrease

My average oil use before this was 3000 litres per year  - ie approx £1800 per year at present rates

Next year the RHI tariff should be available for domestic users here in NI of around £800 per year

Hope this gives some useful hands on data to anybody thinking about ASHP

House details ets can be found on original post     http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14832.0.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:56:48 AM by bassman » Logged

Daikin 16kW Monobloc ASHP - Stovax 8kW multifuel stove
StationHouse
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »

9637 units were used in our first year. Note that is whole house consumption so you could take off approx 3000 odd kWh for average leccy consumption. 14kw Mits Ecodan connected to ufh and fancoils. Less than a grand a year for everything  Again very happy.
gnarly

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »

You both seem pleased!  One of the arguments against ASHSP is that it can't always cope in the coldest weather, so you need backup heating.  There was a day in February when it got down to -14C overnight, do either of you remember needing much backup heating, or feeling too cold???
StationHouse
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

We tend to run the log burner in the evenings for cosy nights but the ASHP as the main heating source has always coped regardless of outside temp. Cheers
bassman

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

I have never had any need for backup heating so far.  I have retained my old oil boiler for backup but it has never had to fire up.

Bought 300 litres of oil in August 2011 just before my ASHP was installed - still got 300 litres

The most important thing here is INSULATION. My living room was at 23C yesterday at 12 noon and was still at 23C at midnight, the room stat had not called for any heat during that period. 

I have also found the ASHP to be more cost efficient by increaseing the "set point" temp by 1 degree C above what the factory setting were.

StationHouse
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »

What is the set point?
 Cheers
mpooley

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »

Hi
I'm going to be getting a new system this year, not sure whether to go Ground source or air.
One thing I'm worried about is that my house only has 1 room with underfloor heating the rest are rads. I would prefer air of course as it's a lot easier and cheaper to install.

I am running my oil system with max water temps of 45c at the moment to see if it can keep the house warm and it seems pretty good but do not think it would work at lower temps.

do you both have underfloor heating?

It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” Richard Feynman
StationHouse
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »

Hi
I'm going to be getting a new system this year, not sure whether to go Ground source or air.
One thing I'm worried about is that my house only has 1 room with underfloor heating the rest are rads. I would prefer air of course as it's a lot easier and cheaper to install.

I am running my oil system with max water temps of 45c at the moment to see if it can keep the house warm and it seems pretty good but do not think it would work at lower temps.

do you both have underfloor heating?

See post 1 above for me :-)
mpooley

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

ah yes i missed the ufh lol

It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.” Richard Feynman
bassman

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »

Also full UFH

Set point is the temp the ASHP is programmed to heat the flow water for a given outside temp

By increasing this by 1c I have found the system works more economically and the rooms all reach their requested temp

The factory setting is a estimate and needs to be tweaked to suit individual needs, eg spacing between UFH pipes, depth of screed over pipes, amount of insulation etc

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: