navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rEd  (Read 2293 times)
Hutch

« on: April 07, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »

Hi guys
Yes I know it's been talk about before but had my pv installed last June import meter ok showing units all ok up to this Thursday when I went to have a look and meter to see how much I used and it was alternate between them both rEd and units used.I have reported this by telephone to scottish power they told me it is ok.
Then after seeing the post on here I have emailed Scottish power and asked them do you what to change the meter or leave it as it is.
My next question is why would it start doing this after all this time it has been fine so far (9 months)

Hutch
billt

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »

They won't change it as it isn't a fault.

I'd guess that they don't start showing red until a threshold of either power or energy has been reached. Our meter was changed last November and the new one didn't start indicating red for quite a while after installation, but it was in the winter with generally very low outputs. If you have a small system it may take a while to reach the trigger point.
Hutch

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »

Thanks for the quick response Billt I have a 2kw system it has gone over the 2kw (2100w) a couple of times maybe that's why when I have looked into the sunnyboy inverter data.

Hutch
M

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

rEd just means reverse energy display (or direction) so indicates that something 'funny' has happened at your property for the meter reader to note / report. Obviously, as you have PV that explains the reason why, so the company won't be concerned. I've had it since day one, but that was a summer install and 3.6kWp.

Checking on the electrician's forum, some people say it kicks in at around 10A (which I assume is about 2.3kW to 2.5kW), which would need your system to be kicking out full, and low consumption in the house, which might be why you haven't seen it before. Others say that the rEd point varies with different meters.

So, I've learnt something new today. Cool.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
tc847

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »

So, if I have understood correctly, rED does not mean it has been running backwards.  It just means that at some point you have hit net export?

The company that I *pay* for my electricity have no idea that I have Solar panels.

As it happens, the people who *supply* my electricity also pay my FiT but would not care about any lost revenue from a backwards spinning meter (I don't have a disc that spins) so would not tell the people that I pay for supply.

I had not thought that I needed to inform anyone about the rED on the meter but am now concerned that maybe I should have done.

OSHpvgen
10 x Astronergy CHSM6610P 225W panels with 10 x Enecsys SMI-240W-60 micro-inverters 150 orientation 35 slope
billt

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »

red stands for reverse energy detected. It triggers if power flows into the grid rather than from it so, yes it will come on if you have exported power; from M's comment it looks as if it comes on if you export more than about 3kW. AIUI it was intended for fraud detection in the days before local generation, when it was an abnormal condition.

If you have a PV system it isn't an issue. Meter readers will just say "You've got PV then?", no one else will notice or care.

No you don't need to tell anyone, it's normal.
M

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »

As it happens, the people who *supply* my electricity also pay my FiT but would not care about any lost revenue from a backwards spinning meter (I don't have a disc that spins) so would not tell the people that I pay for supply.

I had not thought that I needed to inform anyone about the rED on the meter but am now concerned that maybe I should have done.

As Billt said, nobody will care, the rEd is simply to warn that something unusual has happened - reverse energy (export) - for PV this isn't unusual at all, so explains the reason instantly (on-site) to the meter reader. No problem, no worries.

But ..... you mention backwards meter! I don't know if you have a backwards meter, but rEd doesn't mean the meter is going (clocking) backwards, it just means the leccy is flowing in an unusual direction (export) for a house, but is in fact flowing in a totally usual direction for a grid connected powerstation.

Don't think I've explained that very well, but don't assume that rEd means your meter is going backwards. If you do have a backwards meter and it was replaced with a new one, then one good day of generation (and export) and the new meter will start displaying rEd too.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: