navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No need to Knead  (Read 2134 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »

Living about 6 km from the nearest bakery, we have for some time been baking our own bread
Have for some time been trying to make a loaf with the following criteria

good taste
crusty crust
big holes and chewy interior.

French flour type numbers (type de farine) . Type 55 is the standard, hard-wheat white flour for baking, including puff pastries ("pâte feuilletée"). Type 45 is often called pastry flour, and is generally from a softer wheat (this corresponds to what older French texts call "farine de gruau"). Some recipes use Type 45 for croissants, for instance,[16] although many French bakers use Type 55 or a combination of Types 45 and 55.[17] Types 65, 80, and 110 are strong bread flours of increasing darkness, and type 150 is a wholemeal flour.

Playing around and looking on internet have come up with the following no knead bread which is simplicity itself and requires no skill.  Right up my street.

Ingredients
900 gms  T80 Organic flour
640 gms  tap water COLD
1 teaspoon dried yeast
1 teaspoon table salt.

Bung all the dried ingredients in a bowl and stir.
Add cold water and mix until combined.  DO NOT KNEAD.  It is a wet mix don't worry.
Cover the mixing bowl with cling film, and leave in a cool place for at least 12 hours

After 12 hours it looks like this

Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of dried yeast over the surface of the mix.

Liberally flour a board, liberally flour your hands.

Very gently ease the mix  on to the board, do this gently as you don't want to knock out all the air.

Cut in half flour the top and form into 2 balls

Place the balls on top of a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking sheet, liberally dust with flour and cover with a bit of cling film

Leave for minimum of 3 hours, I once left it for 12 and no harm was done.

Preheat oven (ours is a fan oven) to 270C with a baking tray inside to get hot.  This is most important otherwise you will have a soggy bottom.

When up to temperature, slide greaseproof and dough onto the hot tray and quick as you like into the oven.  Middle shelf

Bake at 270C for 10minutes

Drop the temperature to 200C and bake for a further 50mins

Take out and cool on a rack

Hope you like it

Kidwelly South Wales
clockmanFR

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

Nice todd, real nice.

Trouble is "Caner taste it".   hysteria hysteria

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Richard Owen

Navitron PV Installer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »

Glad someone else has discovered the kneadless bread.

I use the stretch and fold technique. I make sourdough bread and it works the best.

Never understood these kneaders.

This is a good website: http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.php?content=stretchandfold

44 Yingli 230Wp panels feeding into 2x Solar Edge SE5000 inverters.
20x 58mm SE, 20x 58mm SW, Solar Thermal feeding 320l thermal store.
10kW heat pump.
300W of Hydro Power.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »

How old is your sourdough Richard? Something I have always wanted to try. Is the taste worth the effort?

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: