navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green slim in my hot water tank?  (Read 3369 times)
Other-Power

« on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »

Hello all,

I dropped the water out of my hot water tank in preperation to move it to the loft.

Once I dropped 95% of the water I moved the tank and could hear a lump sloshing about.  I dropped the remainder of the water out into a bucket and there was a fair bit of slimy green glue in it.  This was in the direct part of the tank, ie the hot water itself.

I live in Cornwall and scale is not a problem in my house or any other I have been in.

The primary coil is heated from a wood burner if that helps?

Any ideas what it is, what it points to and is it a problem?

Thanks

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:00:27 AM »

I have no idea Jon but I'd love to know as I found a similar one once in a house that I once stayed in, it was like a green slimy alien  Undecided

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
derekmt

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »

Copper hydroxide and copper carbonate. This is corrosion caused in soft water. see http://www.fwr.org/copper.pdf. Check to see if you have an aluminium protection rod
Other-Power

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »

There is a sticker on the insulation that says Anode, would it be under the insulation?

I assume it can be replaced?

Cheers

Jon

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
derekmt

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »

There is a sticker on the insulation that says Anode, would it be under the insulation?

Cheers

Jon

Dont know , but  green slime means your tank and pipe work is disolving... Probably something needs to be done...
Other-Power

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

I think I will get some instant heaters and be done with the tank.

Thanks for the help!

Jon

skyewright

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

I have a feeling that tanks with anodes are supposed to have them checked annually?

AIUI the anode is more fully known as a sacrificial anode & it will gradually get used up. Once its been used up, the bits it was sacrificing itself to protect are next in line. Hence the green goo?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

Cheers

Jon

These anodes are magnesium and they do usually screw into a boss, a bit like an immersion. The slime could well be a complex magnesium hydroxide/carbonate stained green with the dissolved copper ions. As others have said once your anode is gone the cylinder starts to dissolve, usually anode last 5-6 years ish before getting radically pitted and smaller, is yours much older than this? Anodes can be bought for about 15 quid, it sounds like you need to check this fairly urgently to me.

pet as Deer

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Other-Power

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

Ok, well I think I am leaning towards fitting instant water heaters as my demand is so low, moving the tank from downstairs as it takes up alot of very usable space from the bathroom.

Is it worth selling it second hand or only as scrap?

Thanks

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: