navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mice and plastic pipe. A cautionary tale.  (Read 3445 times)
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« on: October 29, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »

A friend of mine recently extolled the virtue of plastic pipe. I thought I would give it a try and initially re-plumb a low-pressure cold-water shower feed which was bisecting my attic, by rerouting it between the joists and under the high-tech insulation I am installing. Plumbing was a delight. With long lengths of plastic pipe easily laid and quick fit joints this took a fraction of the time that traditional copper pipe would have taken.

About two weeks later I found water trickling down my wall. On closer examination of one of the joints I found it had been chewed through and water dripping out. I have been doing other jobs in the attic and had left my high power electronic rodent scarer unplugged. This device seems to work well and I have had to my knowledge no mice in my attic for the past few years. I have now replaced the joint. Turned the rodent scarer back on and

Looking on the web it seems that I have been very unfortunate? I was hoping to plumb in a few sets of plastic pipes to run from the attic through the house from to garage and chancel. Doing this in copper will very difficult as there are long runs, tight corners etc. The plans are not finalised but there will be a window of opportunity to put in this plumbing over the next few months. I intend to lay up to 3 sets of pipes for possible heat exchanger, occasional boiler and/or wood stove back boiler.
The questions are
Have I been very unfortunate with mice or is this a common problem?
As the mice (mouse?) have attacked the joints- possibly better joints exist or rodent proof covers?
Will 15mm pipe be OK or should I contemplate 22mm?

* mousea.jpg (60.57 KB, 1000x655 - viewed 654 times.)

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »

i've had lots of problems with the wee blighters over the years Angry wiring, insulation, and even had a dry suit ruined Cry it's been mainly in the outbuildings and i've not had any trouble since getting a couple of cats (though i'm not really a cat person) it came to a head a couple of years ago when my inverter kept tripping out, it took me weeks to find where the little beggers had been eating through the wiring (i'm sure there's a pile of electrocuted mice in my cavity wall Roll Eyes)

good luck, paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
StBarnabas

St Barnabas Chapel (2009)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »

Cheers Paul,
I already have two cats. Seem to keep mice out of the main house but have had problems for years in the attic garage, sheds etc. I have found cheaper ultrasonic scarers to be useless but the better ones seem to work.
StB

Gestis Censere. 40x47mm DHW with TDC3. 3kW ASHP, 9kW GSHP, 3kW Navitron PV with Platinum 3100S GTI, 6.5kW WBS, 5 chickens. FMY 2009.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: