navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring a socket for use with surplus solar production  (Read 3938 times)
Sharkbait

« on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »

Another Q re proportional immersion controllers  Wink
The immersion is going to be the primary target for surplus solar production but when that is satisfied I want surplus power to be sent to an oil filled rad.  I presume that the socket the rad is plugged into needs to be independent from the mains (otherwise it will use mains elec when switched on) - so does this mean it doesn't get wired to the CU or should it be wired to a separate circuit in the CU with nothing else on it?
Sorry for the dumb question  facepalm

edit: forgot to mention that I'm not fitting this myself..... a [qualified] mate is doing it - I'm just wanting to know what to expect!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:00:57 PM by Sharkbait » Logged
ProDave

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »

I've done something similar for a friend.

I fitted a tank stat on his hot water tank.  When the HW tank is up to full temperature, it turns on a relay and that swaps the output from the solarimmersion to (in this case) a pre heat water tank instead.

You would need to do something similar and divert it to a dedicated socket. But you don't want to be plugging normal stuff in that socket, so try and seek out an old 15A round pin socket, or one of those non standard 13A sockets with the pins rotated to stop ordinary stuff being plugged into it.

4KW Solar PV,  4.5KW woodburner, 5KW Air source heat pump
marcus

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »

I second the recommendation for a non-standard socket - an immersun is an expensive bit of kit to be blowing up just 'cos someones plugged the hoover in in the wrong place.

Normally the immersun would go in the immersion circuit between the immersion MCB in the CU and the element itself; if you want it to go to a socket, then ideally it would still have it's own 16A MCB in the CU, but in theory it could be tapped into a normal socket circuit via the Immersun to the special 'immersun' socket. I suspect however that Immersun don't recommend connecting to a 32A MCB which would rule out a standard ring main - unless you're willing to reduce it to their recommended MCB rating.

bear in mind that the immerson needs to have the current transformer around one of the meter tails so positioning it neat the CU makes sense, and if it's there it's easiest if it's on its own MCB anyway.
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:35:39 AM »

I wouldn't install to a socket at all, hard wired only for me on a dedicated circuit.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
guydewdney

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »

I have a socket on a lead. Just wired to the secondary on my immersun. Probaby not a bad idea to have a "non standard" socket on there, like a three pin 16a or similar. I want a socket so i can remove the heater in the summer.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
gravelld

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

To an extent this is what optiplug does, although without throttling.
Sharkbait

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »

OK, so I can go straight from the secondary output on my solarimmersion unit to a 16a round pin socket then use a round pin plug to normal socket adapter so I can plug my usual oil filled radiator in.

Or would it be OK to just keep a standard socket with an isolator?

A little more background might be useful.  The house is a holiday home and is heated completely electrically (wall panel heaters, immersion and UFH).  When we're not there the only power being used is by a laptop, small fridge and the broadband/wifi.

My idea is that while we're there the solarimmersion can help to heat the hot water - using a daily auto boost from late afternoon to ensure the tank is hot - and maybe supply a little background heat.
When we're not there for a decent length of time I'd switch the immersion off which I'm hoping will then send all the spare solar production to the oil filled rad to give a bit of free heat and help keep the place aired.

When we get back there I'd just unplug the oil filled rad and switch the immersion back on (actually thinking about doing this remotely via z-wave relays and a raspberry pi)

Sound feasable?
knighty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »

you could just leave the immersion on all the time

once the tank is up to temperature, it should lose very little heat anyway, so it'll take a small top-up each morning and then turn off anyway

and any heat it does lose, it going tin your house and heating it anyway
Sharkbait

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »

To be honest Knighty, that's what I would probably do anyway unless we were leaving the place for a very long time.

We've only got a 150L vented cylinder at the moment but if I ever find a bit of money I really want to replace it with a 210L unvented cylinder so that I can replace an electric shower upstairs with something better as well as improve the hot water flow in general (upside down house and hot water upstairs ain't great).
GavinA

Solar installer

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »

holiday home?

Don't even consider wiring this to a socket then, people will blow up their laptops etc if you do, and you will be liable.

if you already have electric underfloor heating, then an electrician can just wire that circuit into the immersun (assuming it's under 3kW), stick a room stat in the circuit and all's good. If it's an imemrsun it has a timer function to allow you to put it onto a timer as well for morning / evening use.

at home | 80 tubes, 2 tanks direct PV powered SWH + Navitron supplied PV 5 x Yingli 185Wp solar panels
guydewdney

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:07 AM »

Holiday home, not rental property i think.

Hard wire the heater if its the latter.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Sharkbait

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »

Gavin - our holiday home that is not rented out to others.  Just spends considerable lengths of time exporting most of the solar production.
I'm going with a 16a roound pin socket so, other than the oil filled rad, nothing in the house will fit.
The UFH is limited to a bathroom so wouldn't actually contribute to the heating of the whole house.  It's a Solarimmersion but still has a timer function.
bath_ed

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

Gavin - our holiday home that is not rented out to others.  Just spends considerable lengths of time exporting most of the solar production.
I'm going with a 16a roound pin socket so, other than the oil filled rad, nothing in the house will fit.
The UFH is limited to a bathroom so wouldn't actually contribute to the heating of the whole house.  It's a Solarimmersion but still has a timer function.

Those plugs and sockets are standard in South Africa so you might find one more easily on the internet if you search for that. First time I saw a plug with square pins I thought why ever would someone design a plug with square pins, like square wheels or a square section flex, until I realised round was the first choice and then something different had to be used after that had been taken.  Wink

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: