navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map of best PV production.  (Read 4073 times)
Bodidly

« on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »

I don't normally follow all the PV threads so sorry if I have previously missed this.

When I first started looking at PV 3-4 years ago I was shown this or a similar map http://www.uksolarpowerpanels.co.uk/solar-panel-daylight-intensity.php
Living in the hills of the South West looked like a very favorable part of the world for production and it's fair to say I have been perfectly happy with how our PV performs. I occasionally look at the monthly figures posted by members and it would seem that most of the good production figures don't fit with the map in the link. I have not studied this in great detail but does that map really reflect where is best for PV or has something changed?
Tiff

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

Does the map allow for weather conditions? Lots of rain in the SW compared with Anglia.

South east of England gives the best PV output IMO.
Wickham

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »

South east of England gives the best PV output IMO.

....near the sea. Someone, I can't remember who, has PV on a promontory on the SE corner of England and reported unbelievable performance due to glare off the sea on three sides.

14 Upsolar UP-M190M 190W panels total 2.66kWp and 13 Enecsys SMI-200/G83 and 1 SMI-240/G83 72 cell micro-inverters and website gateway unit, ground-mounted in early May 2011; 30 degree slope; 5 degrees east of south; 8 miles west of Salisbury
Bodidly

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »

"does the map allow for weather conditions? Lots of rain in the SW compared with Anglia"

This is my thinking. We may have potential down here but no good if under a blanket of cloud but the map looks like what we should actually receive not what is theoretically possible.
regen

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »

Averaged actual over 3 years is very close to the map prediction for me in SW wales.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
Bodidly

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »

Averaged actual over 3 years is very close to the map prediction for me in SW wales.

Regen

We get what was predicted but do those further east do better than predicted?
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »

The PVGIS map is based on radiation data collected between 1981-1990 from over 500 sites covering all of Europe and only around 50 of these were in the UK (that's pretty good - Spain only had 15). It's not going to be accurate when compared with just one or two years of actual production nor will it allow for micro-climate conditions.

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/info/faq.htm#data

Volunteer moderator
Bodidly

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

Excellent as ever Ted  Smiley

It would still be interesting to see if recent years production fit the map or as I suspect our weather is on the move.
dan_b

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »

Was the data collection project run/funded by the Swiss by any chance, they seem to have more sites than anyone else?!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

The Swiss just had a lot more weather stations (62) I guess because they are more concerned over such things as avalanches.

There is a lot more information on this here: http://tutorat.paristech.fr/Files/ESRA11res.pdf where all of the weather stations are listed in Annex 2. These don't seem to all correspond with the map though.

Volunteer moderator
TimSmall

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »

....near the sea.

A coastal location also give you increased efficiency from lower ambient temperature (on summer days it can easily be 8 degrees cooler than in-land here in Brighton), and wind-cooling too.

to balance that, everything gets coated in salt spray, and corrodes...
Bodidly

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »

I have had a quick look at peoples monthly production and mysterons seems to do very well. A quick google of Skegness shows me they have water on 3 sides so probably a major factor.

What would be very helpful to look at this is if members could post their annual production as a percentage of predicted and rough location   Grin
Iain

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

Hi
What would be very helpful to look at this is if members could post their annual production as a percentage of predicted and rough location  

Depends which prediction is used and everyone would need to be on the same prediction system for it to be useful.
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Allnightin

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »

What would be very helpful to look at this is if members could post their annual production as a percentage of predicted and rough location   Grin

Have you looked at the Microgen database run by Sheffield solar farm project which gives data on many installations across the country?

http://www.microgen-database.org.uk/
Bodidly

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »

Have you looked at the Microgen database run by Sheffield solar farm project which gives data on many installations across the country?

http://www.microgen-database.org.uk/

That map is perfect for what I am wanting to know.

Many thanks  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: