navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 203359 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1500 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »

It is indeed an incredible time of year, Stann,
                     Nature is trying to outdo itself. The driveway to the shed is white with fallen blossoms.. The birds are going insane and we also have a great variety of bugs and bees.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1501 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »

Spring to Summer slowly slides,
     My labors are on the backburner, I am called to other fronts. I fear the grass will cover all my efforts in a sward of green and,Yet I did have time to have a peep at my little mixer,s innards, There were a few batches tipped where the crunching sound of a bearing was making itself heard and rather than wait till it lay down half way through a section of slab, I pulled the gearbox out,stripped it down and removed the bearings.

and again it was the rear main bearing that was acting up, just like our Y/S wind turbine some years ago. The bearings are all neatly packed away and tomorrow, i am off to the store by the sea to get a complete set and seal. I am surprised that it is worth saving but yet i know that it is a handy little affair and mixes good gear.All the cogs are undamaged but 3 of the bearings show wear and tear. The oil was a muddy brown with a certain amount of residue, yet no sign of ingress or leaks. Hopefully the bearings are standard and that i get the replacements and have it bolted back together tomorrow.
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1502 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:37 AM »

Base of the new greenhouse is down flat and square. Mrs T spent the day screwing the sides together (smaller fingers). I got on with removing our award winning collection of dandilion and other weeds. Beautiful day . Unfortunately the wind got up so the bolt  together was delayed.
camillitech

« Reply #1503 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

That's my concreting over with for a fortnight Biff, back to work now after a month off  Cry

The weather here was pretty pish really for May, but it was great mixing weather, cool, damp and not too windy.

Main thing is that I got most of me old slipway repair project done.

Mixing around 24 tons of aggregate and 100 bags of cement with my wee Belle, though I really did have problems with 'sticky' mixes  Cry Dunno what it was but I did find that adding some accelerator and a little PVA helped massively.

So, now for a fortnight's rest at work  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1504 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

That is a major undertaking Paul,,
                          Loads of dirty lifting and bad working area, makes for plenty of injuries ,nips and sprains.
   Our store by the sea,
,  The place has Russians , Poles, Ukrainians and allsorts, The locals have the biggest trawlers on the planet and fish the from Antarctic up to Newfoundland, canning as they go.staying out 9 montyhs at a time.

New oil,,new bearings, Half that sealant was removed before it was screwed together.  new Labor,,, bike
   Off to town with Mrs Biff to do the shopping and when the gasket is set,will stick the motor on the frame., 4 Bearings + seal cost 54,50 euros, so the bill was not too bad.

Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1505 on: May 16, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

Well done chaps genuflect genuflect
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1506 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

I visited your favorite building today Tod,

I got this sinking feeling, Somehow a bit let down,,lop sided off kilter.
  John said that it was a good job he was standing on the right side of the counter because he slid clean right through the front door when his application for a loan was physically rejected.
But what about hanging the curtains and putting the mug of tea on the cillboards ,I hear you say,,Rumor has it that the chairs and tables are nailed to the floor but the very very worst thing about this new position is that the applicant has to physically crawl on his hands and knees to get up to the counter to apply for a loaN.
, The front looks normal. Angry

Back home and after tea,, i put the new motor and absolutely new gearbox back into this amazing immaculate  machine. However,,with all my hammering and banging, I seem to have created a few new pinholes,,so a further application of "The wonderful Liquid Metal" might be necessary. Mrs Biff hinted that I could possibly be out the price of a decent mixer throwing all that lovely "Liquid Metal " at it. I will have a few days to spare and then start on the concreting ..
                                        Biff
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:15:12 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1507 on: May 18, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »

surrender
Looks like they have my bodger's spirit level!

Usually have a quick look at the news and weather prior to walking Elliott.
Great  to have a telly that allows you to watch what is going on in the world.

Merkel  meets Putin
A known torturer appointed to lead CIA
Ebola in Africa
Assists against women in India.
Etc

BBC in full sycophant mode. Some wedding or other.  stir:Bah Humbug

Beautiful morning the beach calls  Grin
camillitech

« Reply #1508 on: May 21, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »

Well Biffer, you were certainly 'spot on' about Roman Concrete https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_concrete amazing stuff by all accounts and just like you said, gets stronger with age  Shocked Trouble is, my nearest volcano is Vesuvius  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1509 on: May 21, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »

Rain,,Rain Rain,
               Outside the rain forest is racing upwards,I have never noticed the grass grow so quickly and smother everything .Last week our Dieback proof Ash trees showed their trunks through a light coating of greenery but this morning they are invisible beneath a mass of foliage. The ash trees,looking twice as big as ever.
  My lengths of A142 are mostly cut,,stacked and ready for laying, multiple screeds make the place look as though I are laying wooden decking but because i am working solo, i need to be doubly well organised so that I don,t develop a hick-up in the middle of a section. With luck the ballast will be delivered tomorrow. The cement is already here and stored handy and dry. So much has been happening here that I have not been able to devote proper time to this project. So I spend a few hours when i can get them and make sure that i am ready to go when I know that I have the time to complete sections properly.

The sections are only 700mm wide x 75mm deep but the ends as you can see are 100mm and 250mm respectively ,The reinforcing is independently dropped down inside the screeds so that the movements are taking up in the joints to prevent cracking. The extra depth of concrete either side,anchors the whole lot together. It will not be the perfect job but is will be a vast improvement.
    The rain eased off around 5pm and after a light lunch, i fought the midges and got humbled.
                                                           Biff

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:09:26 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1510 on: May 21, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »

Not watched Montalbano yet but looking forward to it. Engrossed in 'the bridge', Saga back with her leather trousers and Porsche! Being very Scandi Noir not expecting a happy ending.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Scilly prog.

We are enjoying a lovely Spring if a little late. The greenhouse is up and will plant the tomatoes tomorrow, bought in plants this year as we had nowhere to grow seeds.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1511 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »

Our bats came out for a dander about a months ago,
                                          There was not a lot to eat,even if the warm spell did activate them but there came 3 or 4 nights where the temperature dropped well below zero , So these past nights, there is a glut of big fat moths and all kinds of flies,including the dastardly midge and narry a bat in sight,,This is bad. My neighbor has chopped down a load of old trees and erected about a dozen bat boxes. I have a horrible suspicion that he may have used a preserve on the boxes. He would seem that he has had a complete turnabout in attitude and is now trying his hand at being a goddarned tree-hugger like myself. Our bats will be a big loss if they do not come back. They each put away 3,000 midges in an evening and just think about it,,that would be 3,000 less bites heading my way or 21,000 bites over 7 days..I am lucky there is anything of me left.
                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1512 on: May 24, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »

There is some good news and there is some more good news,
                              We have a single bat, One little chap the picture of Batsy from years ago. Still no sign of the bigger bats, It don,t look good. They were great performers and had a set route that they flew every midge night, Batsy No 2,,I call him No 2 becaue he could possibly be Batsy of old,,bats don,t live 16 years,,? So he must be a great great grand kid. yet it was nice to see him, He flies about 5ft above the ground and circles me quite close, trying to pick off the moths that are attracted by my head light. He is like a tiny dark, fluffy mouse  with wings and not much bigger than the moths he is catching.
     Finally, I got going this morning about 8ish,and worked right through to 2pm. I was beginning to panic as the grass is going wild and things get lost. I got four 8ft bays to the rear of the house and two 12ft bays to the lower side, After a shower and lunch, I went and struck all the casings and screeds and cleaned them down,,damping down the concrete every 20 mins.
. I made no attempt to float  them or trowel finish them,,just fired them down and tamped them with a straight edge with a long handle.
, The long shaft saves a lot of bending . It is actually a piece of stair banister with a shaft stuck on it and braced.
. It is far from perfect but the last thing we want here is a smooth finish during the frosty weather.
   The other good news is, That I used "Jungle" spray for my little friends the midges and it is excellent stuff. I got swarmed by millions of the little blighters but got no bites, That must be a record..
I would recommend it,,definitely.
   We have visitors tomorrow, so my concrete can go hard while we play host.
                                          Biff
  The little mixer was flat out all day till 2pm, The whole mix is powered by PV. No nasty noises,  The new bearings did the trick.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:41:01 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1513 on: May 31, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »

Rain at last,
           The hot dry sunny weather is the death of concrete and the sections could only be poured after 6pm and after our visitors went home. So, It is taking more time than planned but fortunately, I am not tied to any clock or date.The place is looking better with the lawns cut and the timbers stacked. The heat was something else. I took the hounds down to the shed,during noon on the hottest days, For some reason it is cool in there and they can drift off to sleep, instead of lying panting in the hall. Our dump load rads became something of a penance.
        The midges have been terrible "Jungle" or no "Jungle", They come in swarms so thick that it is hard to breath. Our swallows never arrived and our last bat has disappeared. We have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. Even our cats have disappeared. We do have plenty of song birds in our dawn chorus ,loads of blackbirds and thrushes darting in and out among the fruit trees but the swallows and the bats ate multitudes of midges, so they are sorely missed. My neighbour erected about a dozen bat boxes last year and I am beginning to suspect that perhaps they might have been treated with some kind of lethal wood preserve. I will wait another week and then contact the people who survey the bat population.
                                                  Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1514 on: June 03, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »

I have contacted the Bat folks in Cavan,
                                 Hopefully I will find and answer to our missing bats. I did learn that the live from 7 to 8 years or longer, so they are not just here today and gone tomorrow little things. There was one  very small fluffy one that used to follow me up the drive zigzagging round my head in a very laid back fashion. Natily,s hearing was so acute that she could point them with her nose before they actually came into sight. Angel does not even see them but again she has very little experience of them. My grandsons were enthralled with them. Imagine having your own pet bats who came flying up and swooping down into our headlight beams to gulp the midges and moths.
Our swallows have not appeared this year, so that is another relief for the midges.
                                                                Biff

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: