navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 195300 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1500 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »

It is indeed an incredible time of year, Stann,
                     Nature is trying to outdo itself. The driveway to the shed is white with fallen blossoms.. The birds are going insane and we also have a great variety of bugs and bees.
           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1501 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »

Spring to Summer slowly slides,
     My labors are on the backburner, I am called to other fronts. I fear the grass will cover all my efforts in a sward of green and,Yet I did have time to have a peep at my little mixer,s innards, There were a few batches tipped where the crunching sound of a bearing was making itself heard and rather than wait till it lay down half way through a section of slab, I pulled the gearbox out,stripped it down and removed the bearings.

and again it was the rear main bearing that was acting up, just like our Y/S wind turbine some years ago. The bearings are all neatly packed away and tomorrow, i am off to the store by the sea to get a complete set and seal. I am surprised that it is worth saving but yet i know that it is a handy little affair and mixes good gear.All the cogs are undamaged but 3 of the bearings show wear and tear. The oil was a muddy brown with a certain amount of residue, yet no sign of ingress or leaks. Hopefully the bearings are standard and that i get the replacements and have it bolted back together tomorrow.
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1502 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:37 AM »

Base of the new greenhouse is down flat and square. Mrs T spent the day screwing the sides together (smaller fingers). I got on with removing our award winning collection of dandilion and other weeds. Beautiful day . Unfortunately the wind got up so the bolt  together was delayed.
camillitech

« Reply #1503 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

That's my concreting over with for a fortnight Biff, back to work now after a month off  Cry

The weather here was pretty pish really for May, but it was great mixing weather, cool, damp and not too windy.

Main thing is that I got most of me old slipway repair project done.

Mixing around 24 tons of aggregate and 100 bags of cement with my wee Belle, though I really did have problems with 'sticky' mixes  Cry Dunno what it was but I did find that adding some accelerator and a little PVA helped massively.

So, now for a fortnight's rest at work  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1504 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

That is a major undertaking Paul,,
                          Loads of dirty lifting and bad working area, makes for plenty of injuries ,nips and sprains.
   Our store by the sea,
,  The place has Russians , Poles, Ukrainians and allsorts, The locals have the biggest trawlers on the planet and fish the from Antarctic up to Newfoundland, canning as they go.staying out 9 montyhs at a time.

New oil,,new bearings, Half that sealant was removed before it was screwed together.  new Labor,,, bike
   Off to town with Mrs Biff to do the shopping and when the gasket is set,will stick the motor on the frame., 4 Bearings + seal cost 54,50 euros, so the bill was not too bad.

Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1505 on: May 16, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

Well done chaps genuflect genuflect
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1506 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »

I visited your favorite building today Tod,

I got this sinking feeling, Somehow a bit let down,,lop sided off kilter.
  John said that it was a good job he was standing on the right side of the counter because he slid clean right through the front door when his application for a loan was physically rejected.
But what about hanging the curtains and putting the mug of tea on the cillboards ,I hear you say,,Rumor has it that the chairs and tables are nailed to the floor but the very very worst thing about this new position is that the applicant has to physically crawl on his hands and knees to get up to the counter to apply for a loaN.
, The front looks normal. Angry

Back home and after tea,, i put the new motor and absolutely new gearbox back into this amazing immaculate  machine. However,,with all my hammering and banging, I seem to have created a few new pinholes,,so a further application of "The wonderful Liquid Metal" might be necessary. Mrs Biff hinted that I could possibly be out the price of a decent mixer throwing all that lovely "Liquid Metal " at it. I will have a few days to spare and then start on the concreting ..
                                        Biff
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:15:12 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1507 on: May 18, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »

surrender
Looks like they have my bodger's spirit level!

Usually have a quick look at the news and weather prior to walking Elliott.
Great  to have a telly that allows you to watch what is going on in the world.

Merkel  meets Putin
A known torturer appointed to lead CIA
Ebola in Africa
Assists against women in India.
Etc

BBC in full sycophant mode. Some wedding or other.  stir:Bah Humbug

Beautiful morning the beach calls  Grin
camillitech

« Reply #1508 on: Today at 06:16:47 AM »

Well Biffer, you were certainly 'spot on' about Roman Concrete https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_concrete amazing stuff by all accounts and just like you said, gets stronger with age  Shocked Trouble is, my nearest volcano is Vesuvius  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: