navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 216251 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1560 on: August 23, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »

We have had some really heavy rain and wind,
                                        Our fruit trees have had some problems. The normally good performers like the Bramley suffered setbacks like early frost which killed alot of it,s buds and shoots,,then the drought came and my water supply seemed to be not good enough, The hot sun then frizzled the skins facing to the west, so all in all the Bramley has about 50% of it,s normal crop. However they taste fantastic. The Gala are very ripe looking but still inedible . The little tree with the small red apples would be the outright winner with it,s small red apples ready to eat and tasting good. I watered the Plum tree twice a day throughout the drought and thankfully they are now beginning to ripen and will be ready to pic in mid September.
  The Plums
  The sad Bramley

While picking up the Bramley windfalls this morning I had a little visitor hopping about, close above my head , making sure that I would not forget her. She must be sitting on eggs again, she does not have much time to dally and is quite demanding,

Just leave it there like a good chap,,
  I said leave it there please,!
  Arrggh  will you leave it there ,,are you deaf,?
  Thats better now clear off and let me eat in peace.
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1561 on: August 24, 2018, 06:13:12 AM »

Fabulous!!
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1562 on: August 24, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »

I am not so sure Tod,
                     My old mother would say, that I have made the rod to beat my back. She was on the front doorstep this morning as Mrs Biff was going to work,,giving out stink and hopping about the street like a little terrier. She teases the life out of Angel in the shed. My step son and I were chatting in the garden during his summer break and he noticed her sitting very close to me,,so he went "OH  look there is a very tame robin"  She flew up into his face and he ducked his head very quickly. I said she was being friendly but she is possessive. Mrs Biff talks to her quite a bit and she is used to our voices.
  The very first words I said to her were not very nice,,"your dead if you don,t get off the ground and up into the trees" I was digging a hole at the time. I called her Fred from that Aussie song, " hang me kangaroo down sport"  one of the verses has a line "Hang me head when im dead Fred" Grin. I was positive she would not see out the 24 hours but incredibly,,the cats are staying away and we have no idea why. Then of course she turned out to be female and I thought of Ms Mogherini who I admire, who is passionate and also blushes very deeply, and Fredarica it was,
  Freda will just not let you ignore her,
                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1563 on: September 02, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

We were told that we were on the cusp of an Indian Summer,
                              They must have meant the Indians of the Amazon rain forest. The weather here has been wild wet and windy with very little respite. esterday the 1/9/18 went by with very little fuss.
 Summer has gone and now we are in the fall. Visibility outside is down to approx 50 yds with heavy rain. The wind has eased off. On the positive side our Bank is full and we have tanks of hot water but a little sunshine would not go amiss. Angel is finally coming around. She is up for a game of search and retrieve but needs more practice to get back to where she was. We also have a new cat who moved into the meadow next door and sleeps in the rushes next to the march. Obviously it,s Mam taught it how to hunt the newts and take the tails of them. It is rather skinny . Freda should be able to cope OK. She has lost weight and is just as feisty as always. She comes when she is called. Her table manners leave a lot to be desired. She will not allow her young near her feeding area and yet after a short feeding session, she will stop and look up at me for a few seconds, as though to thank me and then take off past me at knee level. That is clever. It took me a while to figure out why she did that. It is such a simple move. Flying round me at that level ensure that she is cleared for uninterrupted launch with no moggie trying to drag her down.. Angel accepts her now and just sits beside me as I feed her. I have been reading up on Robins lately and it is quite interesting.
 Our Bramley have been a disaster. They felt light coming off the tree and being picked up as windfall but when Mrs Biff decided to make apple stew a good 50% of them has rings of brown rot inside the apple itself. We still have 2 other cooker trees and plenty of cookers but the Bramley is a big loss. Our plums will be ready next week for picking alas we have tons of good jam left over from last year. I will have to have a plan B. I have to make sure to pick every single plum off the tree. This morning on my way back from walking Angel, The same plum tree was being buffeted by the wind and the plums were coping fine. Sad to say,there were very few Bramley left on the branches, most were on the ground. I sincerely hope we don,t lose the tree.
                                                                     Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1564 on: September 02, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »

Plum chutney is yummy Grin
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1565 on: September 02, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »

My head is dizzy ,
               I have been checking over all the microwave plum chutney recipes. flyingpig Tongue Roll Eyes
                            Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1566 on: September 02, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »

With all those spare plums, there should be no waste!

http://slivovice.org/

A pleasant winter-warmer.  Smiley

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1567 on: September 06, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »

Zee plums are getting sweeter by the day,
                                         They need a little more sunshine and they should be ready for picking. I have not made up my mind what to make with them,  facepalm.
   The damp air and constant rain and mist have necessitated firing up the stove. Last night was the first real fire we have had since April last. The wood box is full of less than 20% moisture content logs, extrahappy extrahappy.  No Ply,,No chip allowed, fight but reams of junker 350mm x 25mm, reams nice clean 100 x 50mm, chunks of pine, chunks of teak, it is a sin to burn it. Cry Cry Cry.. I have crocked a few saws and getting to be an expert on good and bad circular saws, Aldi and Lidl are not good saws,,Amazon,s Silverline is very good but I still managed to foul up the nut securing the blade to the shaft and break the push in locking pin, so the shaft spins but the blade don,t. I am now using a "Rage" which was 60.00 and free delivery from Amazon. It is going good at present but it has a few mile of wood to go before I can give it my verdict. It might be better balanced than the Silverline which had a habit of leaving the knuckle on my small finger very painful because there was not enough room for my hand between the handle and the sawdust exhaust exit. I solved that by putting a leather pad over the offending protrusion. The Rage is easy to use but it will be a while before I know how good it is. the Silverline is very good.
   Freda my bird was was in a bit of a tizzy over last weekend, Her eyes were hard like diamonds and her steps were minced and vicious. She was being bullied and was doing a lot of fighting. Then this big Robin came along and began to harass her to such an extent that It was pointless calling her, So last Monday was very quiet and she only turned up once to eat and that was suddenly interrupted by the same Robin, There was nothing really that I could do except leave things alone and don,t draw attention. Yesterday morning was good, She came into the shed and like before landed on the forklift and ate a small meal of cheese and breadcrumbs. She was more relaxed and her gaze was steady and friendly, then having paid her respects off she flew. Then last night just before dark, she landed close to my shoulder in the plum tree and accepted another small meal. This morning in the shed, she was back to her normal self. I think the other big Robin might be her new new hubby. She has also moved house down towards the shed. I know some people like to have such a bird eating out of their hand but I am wary of that. She is jealous and quite possessive. It came as quite a surprise to find that out.
 Being born to the wild entails a different mindset to us domestic creatures. Even Freda looks on me as barely an equal but I am handy for the good supply of cheese and crumbs. She is a ruthless operator . She has to be. Yet there is warmth there in her eyes, She will roost on the handle of the mower in the shed, opposite me, just above the sleeping Angels head for 20 minutes or so. Taking it all in. There is a lot lot more to Robins than meets the Christmas card eye. A lot of my reading have been quite contradictory. One says they can have up to 5 broods a year and the local Irish site says that they breed in February. There is a lot of superstition attached to them which is also contradictory. Down south, A robin flying in the window is a sign of good luck but up here in Donegal, a Robin flying in the window is a sign of a death in the family. I know people who absolutely believe that.
     Sorry, I ramble,,,,
                       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1568 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »

Strewth,
         So much about our Indian summer, It has been one of the stormiest and wettest start to any September. Our Turbine has been milling hot water all day yesterday it has been that rough that Fredarica only came down to the shed because I called her and then refused to eat or peck at a single morsel of cheese. Instead she stood on the floor next to my feet for 5 minutes, refusing to fly up to the feeding table on the back of the forklift. Then off she went. The noise of the wind unsettled her and off she rushed back to the safety of her nest.
   My hardcore finally arrived, Three nice big loads landed on Saturday evening. I have plenty to keep me occupied now and hopefully i will be allowed time to get it all leveled before China levels Idlib.
  The world has never been in such a precarious position. Yet I hope for peace.
    Our Harvest Fair finishes on Wednesday. These past few harvest fairs have been landed with atrocious weather. The year before last, they had to collapse the stalls because the wind was picking them up and slinging the steel upright around. It became very dangerous for a few hours.
                             Biff

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:01:42 AM by biff » Logged

eabadger

« Reply #1569 on: September 10, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

sorry to hear that, ours has been not bad, misty start today but forecast high 28 today.
our summer fair was weekend before last, due to dry spell fields were dusty to say the least, and with the local sport of combine collision derby racing we all went home filthy! it was only 500m away this year.
for the kids they had drive a brand new tractor 2km for 1 big q, my lad 9 went twice.
then two new diggers one 1.5t one 3t.
1 for the kids to play boules with them, magnet on end of arm on a string, lift the metal boules up and drop in a drain pipe!! not sure organizers realised the kids were doing badly on purpose to be on them longer.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1570 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »

Rain and wind ,
              The squalls are sudden and vicious yet excellent for heating water . I lost valuable time waiting for the hardcore,
 and now that it has arrived, I feel like a fly on an elephants rump.
 But I know that i will work my way through it, 3 large loads of lovely gear. It is strange stuff, If left for a few days it forms a hard crust that is difficult to break through. It flops like concrete when damp.
This was recommended to me by a friend who says that it is ideal for driveways and sets like concrete. My dumper and loading shovel are clearly visible. Just the job .
                                                  Biff
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:09:17 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1571 on: September 15, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »

Big 3 day storm on the way,
                           Andy, ! Your neck of the woods gets a real serious blow, Monday / Tuesday.
  Billi, Your place will be sorely tested with the red hanging over for hours on end.
 Raasay, gets a bit of a blow but nothing like Wales.
   We will probably get anything above force 8 with the mountain behind us taking the force of it. At the moment the charts are telling me that we will be more or less in the center of it, the eye.
  But ,,,That can change.
                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1572 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »

The Chart has changed slightly,
                      The deep red is still looking set for the Irish sea at midnight Tuesday but it now is off the coast of Wales.
   Your place should fare a lot better  Billi. Our prospects remain unchanged.
       We have a good strong force 6 here at the moment.
              Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1573 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »

The chart keeps changing and the latest changes are quite drastic,
       the red and purple are just off Malin head, so Raasay is in for a wee blow.
   Again Wales is in for a shot of air at noon Tuesday. It all is very unstable
 overall.
          Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1574 on: September 16, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

Aye Biff,

Pretty fresh last night too and looks like we are in for a pasting on Wednesday. Indoor projects methinks, too wild for mixing concrete.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: