navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 83635 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »

Excellent Moves Andy,
             I like the idea of the clamp to take the weight of the cable down through the tower.
    I was going to suggest that very thing but you beat me too it.
       You are nearly there. fingers crossed!
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »

I hereby claim the right to change the title of this saga.

I'm delighted to announce that the turbine is complete and securely sitting 12 Mtrs up on it's lattice tower.

I've been very patient waiting for concrete to set right off and have also been away for a couple of weeks. But this weekend with flat calm it was decided to get the lump up in the air.

I recently purchased a new hand winch with 1 tonne capacity and something like 1:50 reduction, The wire rope is 15mtrs long so quite handy.  Before I went away I'd made up a mount for the winch on the front of my truck.  The truck was put in for a service before my break, and as the trucks not back yet I had to modify the mounting brackets to fit on to an alternative vehicle.

So Saturday morning got the winch remounted and then with heart in mouth I winched the tower without the turbine up into place.  Once up the tower sits really firmly on its base pad. I spent the rest of the morning completing the rigging of all 7 guys, adding locknuts to the turnbuckles, snaffling the shackle pins with copper wire and mousing the hook ends of the turnbuckles.

Satisfied that all the rigging was good to go, I got the tower down again. The ground falls away where the tower lays down, so a short lift of scaffold tower was used to keep the mast up horizontal giving free space to fit the yaw bearing and turbine on to the tip of the mast. About 5 ft of tower was needed but that was perfect as the blades are 4 ft long. The rest of Saturday was spent greasing and fitting the phosphor bronze bearings above and below  the yaw bearing and finally connecting the 3 wires from the turbine out put to the slip rings.

An early brekky today and out into the morning mists.  It was still flat calm but everything was dripping wet after a heavy overnight dew.  I spent the 1st hour wiring in a watts meter on the DC side of the rectifier so I can measure my pleasure now. I fitted the fuse and set the brake switch to off and then out side as the mists were rising. A good walk round first to double check that everything was set right.  I had run 2 wire ropes to the gin pole, one from the tower top and one from 4 mtrs up.  I pondered this morn whether I should add another but in the end decided that the 2 should do even with the extra weight of the turnip now on the tower.

So the moment of truth.  I slowly winched the tower back up to vertical with the turbine atop.  The hand winch is slow and steady, I could stop and check everything at all stages. So up she went, tidy like. I tightened the first couple of guys then unhooked the winch and and then removed the gin pole which was bolted to the  base plate.  With the gin pole gone the rest of the guys were tightened up and any surplus guy cable ends were coiled and taped up.

I've been whistling like crazy this afternoon but not a breathy of wind, to be expected.

I regret that I have no action photos as I was working single handed but here's a few of the finished article.

So now as the sun sets I sit waiting for a puff or 2 of wind to make me amps.I have removed all my lower garments in anticipation of the brown trouser moments that I have been promised.

]
Oh Biff, the hazel bushes beside to tower are to the south and we don't get wind from that quarter, the tower over tops them at present by 3 to 4 mtrs but some judicious pruning is on the to do list.

And yes I have remembered to set the brake switch to run.

Thanks for everybodies help, lets hope it all runs right (on the night).

Cheers Andy.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
oliver90owner

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »

Looks good!  Well done!

My only questions are :

What is this fuse fitted? A blown fuse in the turbine leads can lead to overspeeding destruction.

The rotor looks to be very close and parallel to the top pole, so is that right?  Most rotors are fitted at a few degrees angle to avoid any risk of contact.  With only a relatively short blade, the risk may be lessened or the pic may just be an optical illusion.

RAB
Billy
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2015, 07:12:49 PM »

Well done.   ballspin
rogeriko

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »

I would not fit a fuse at all thats asking for trouble also what sort of watt meter did you fit, I hope its not one of those turnigy things. All you need is an Ammeter with a strong shunt that cannot be destroyed by exess amps.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2015, 11:37:55 PM »

Good stuff Andy,
             The wind will soon get going. Don,t be disheartened by little teething troubles. You are on the right track.
  There was a debate here on Navitron some years back. I recall ,that it was centred around the futurenergy installation system,  The system had a brake,a shorting out brake but before you could use that brake, you had to remember to disengage the batts with a big lever switch because the whole lot could go up with a bang if the Batts were also shorted. So fuses were installed before the batts to protect them from harm,just in case the brake switch was thrown before the batts were disengaged.
  At that time, The experts were in favour of the fuses. My own voltage was 120dc, I was flying big oversized blades. The only fuses i installed were between the Inverter and the Bank. The very thought of  fuses between the turbine and the Controller or bank sent shivers down me shins. The very though of a fuse blowing and the turbine taking off was Orrible!
   I think you have done a really good job. The members comments are all there to help and don,t worry, You will soon be up and running, looking at the amps and the volts and working out the watts to the last gist. I confess that I was plain addicted to checking the clocks during a force 8 ,even at 4 am.. I kid you not and our Turbine used to pump out 3kw+ from a 2kw lump and scare the living daylights out of me, Back then, It really was brown trouser kind of excitement. Eventually after years of this clinging on to sanity, I opted for smaller blades and more control. Now I look forward to a good blow,
     It is all good, You are off to an excellent start, fingers crossed!
                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »

Absolutely delighted for you Andy. A labour of love really well done. Whistling for a wind for you!!!! fingers crossed! Grin Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »

I had a morning trip out from Greenwich Connecticut to Martha's vinyard on a replica coastal tramp  Wink in the 90's. We motored out to mid-water, but it was mirror calm for half an hour after the engine was turned off. The Mate who spoke with a faux-pirate accent told tell of 'stroking the stays' in the old days if whistling  whistlie didn't work, as he then went on to do. Soon enough, we saw the cat's paw, and it picked up and away we went! It was a cracking sail, and I stood with my back to the mast, (single immense lodge-pole pine), enjoying every minute. It had to stop in the end, because an American woman started screaming that 'the boat was falling over', we'd all drown, and she sue their donkeys.
So, I can speak from a position of experience, that if all else fails then stroke the stays.   laugh

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2015, 10:49:51 AM »

Or phone a friend and say ,
                        That it will neither rain nor blow for a week and you will have a hurricane before you put the phone down.
                                                                      Biff

Stevieboy118

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »

Looks brilliant, good work.

Now i'm even more jealous of your system  ralph

4kW pv (16x250+good-we inverter)
Wood burner
Pile-o-tatty-batteries
107L water tank solar dump
Anything else the wife will let me play with.
offthegridandy

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »

I'm delighted to say that the last couple of days have at last bought some wind and the turbine is flying. I've got a sort of whisper noise as the blades start to spin but as  they get up to making power (100watts and up) the noise dies down and the whole set up is quite quiet. Plus no noise as yet from the rigging wires singing in the wind.

The wind yesterday was from the SE and we are sheltered from there but even so I was happy with the extra amps.  The wind has now swung round to its normal NW coming straight up the valley and I've seen 200watts on the meter.

Rab there is plenty of clearance from the tower to the blades it just an optical illusion in the piccy, but thanks for your concern Re the fuse, Hugh Piggot recommends a fuse in the circuit so I have followed his advice. I have 3 phase AC coming to a 100 amp 3 way switch for a brake/park switch which then feeds to the rectifier. On the DC side before connection to my DC bus there is a 65 amp fuse.  The turbine design is rated for 500watts with 1000watt max output. With the furling mechanism I recon that the whole rig would be way out of control to actually blow the fuse, at which point I could turn the brake switch on and watch the rest of the turbine explode!!

So far I'm really pleased with nthe results. I'n simple terms today I would have expected the genny to auto start 1st thing this morning due to little sunlight for the  PV latley.  We had 1.3KWHr today from the PV but the genny didn't actually start until dark 5 PM or so.  The small extra amounts from the WT waqs just enough to keep the battery voltage above the gen start Volt. So I've gained 1/2 a day on red diesel, result.

I have in the shed 2 (no name) alternators fitted with good magnets.  I now thinking of stripping these for the magnets and making a 4 mtr Hugh Piggot turbine.  Have to find some more decent wood for blades. Think on eh,

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »

Very well done Andy, a really great moment I'm sure to see the amps start building. Thanks also for recording your journey so we could follow along. I'm sure it will inspire more people to have a go. I have had an HP turbine on the 'to-do' list for a while and hope to get into it in a couple of years.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »

Fabulous!!!!

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

You have caught the bug Andy,
                                  PV is great but like AG says,it don,t cut the mustard in winter. The wind turbine and the pv are a perfect combination.
  It is a nice to know that during the night,when while we are fast asleep, the wind turbine is working away and topping up the Bank.
  It is all good.
                        Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »

genuflect   well done Andy

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: