navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photobucket rip off..(find another hosting site)  (Read 6618 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »

Taken from a aquaintance's site today

"If you Use Photobucket - to add images to the Forum - PLEASE STOP TODAY !

This Company now wants to Charge $399.99 to those that Put their images on 3rd Party Sites.
(i.e. this Web Forum)...

Many Folks online now Show this Image.
2017-07-19_15-40-33.jpg
http://photobucket.com/p500/

(if your in good standing with them)
if you had a Pro-Account or Ad Free Account - they will let you Go until DEC...

After December - they will be doing this for ALL Accounts..... (that don't Pay this Ridiculous FEE)

What does this Do to ALL the Forums... well all Old post will have these Stupid images, in place of the ones Posted.

And Now that Folks will either need to Attach photo's to their Post, (Which I have to pay for the web space).

Or find other Image Hosting Sites....

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Sean

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »

I don't know why anyone should be surprised at this - they've provided a free service for the last 15? years.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »

Quite the contrary Sean,
                  We moderators are very surprised and disappointed that they did this. We were discussing the new stupid charges a couple of weeks ago.
  Oh Yes,, It was a very very unpleasant surprise for a lot of us.
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

I don't know why anyone should be surprised at this - they've provided a free service for the last 15? years.

Hmm, I don't know about that you can't go anywhere now on the net without getting bombarded by adverts, and business owners get bombarded with adverts trying to sell advertising, that's how these compnies make their money. They also make exceedingly large amounts of money and yet they pay miniscule tax??
Now they want more fight

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »

Exactly Desp,
              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Sean

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »

Quite the contrary Sean,
                  We moderators are very surprised and disappointed that they did this. We were discussing the new stupid charges a couple of weeks ago.
  Oh Yes,, It was a very very unpleasant surprise for a lot of us.
                               Biff

How much money/bandwidth do you think Navigation (and a lot of other forums) have "saved" by not hosting images ?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:02 PM »

I am not really interested Sean,
                     That is a kind of crude argument, don,t you think, ?
 We were happy with the way it was and they made a fortune on all the advertising plugs. The free access was the only way that they could get us to view their adds, now they can do without us.
You are the first person that i have met that seems to support the New "400.00 charge. i wonder why, ?
                                                               Biff

Sean

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:16 AM »

It's not a crude arguement, its simply a fact of life - the no free lunch thing/you get what you pay for applies.

You say they've made a fortune, have they really ?

If their business model really does/did depend on income made by selling ad space on the basis that viewers/customers can be driven to the advertising companies simply by offering a free service (which is what they've managed to do for over a decade due to VC and hype) why would they effectively now distroy their own revenue stream by alienating the users ?

Perhaps now that the VC and hype has been spent and evaporated the harsh realities of financial sustainable are behind their change in terms.

Remind me where did I say I supported their new charges ?
RIT

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »

To be honest any small web site should be able to configure their systems so that they integrate with Cloudflare which provides a content delivery network, so greatly reduces the i/o load caused by images.

The only sites with a problem are ones like this one, which needs business like services but the operator is not trying to make a return on the site and so is unlikely to upgrade to the more advance features which have a monthly fee. You start to gain a lot of features from about $25 per month (pro + ssl certs), but its still an additional cost and the tech person has to commit some of their time.

As for Photobucket I'm not sure there have ever made a profit, back in 2007 their investors managed to sell the business to MySpace for $250m and an addition $50m earn-out agreement, at the time its turnover was of just $6.3m. In 2009 they were then sold again for just $60m. The latest comment I can find states "As of 2015, Photobucket served 120 billion images to 3 million websites a month and stored billions of photos uploaded by individual users.", that's a lot of I/O and storage costs with no direct income stream.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »

Just like Photobucket, we moderators don't make anything either. It's done out of pure love for our world. stir
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
sam_cat

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »

Use IMGUR personally, works really well!
eabadger

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »

i dont like paying for free services or seeing adverts, but understand you cant get one without the other, their hosting fees must be through the roof.

how many active members are on this site? how many enjoy using this site? could the cost if no alternative be covered by a small annual payment? or donation that gave something in return?
to be thankful to Navitron, they have my email details but they never mailshot me, which is good, but commercially poor, i would be happy to pay not to be mailshot if it helped?

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »

Images up to 600 KB (big enough for almost all purposes) can be uploaded directly to the Forum. You will most likely need to resize any photos taken directly off a camera or phone though before uploading.

The Forum also supports http://postimages.org image hosting as an alternative if there is a need for any larger file size.

Just click the Add image to post link immediately above the text entry box when creating a post.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:48:42 AM by Ted » Logged

Volunteer moderator
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:06 AM »

Postimages,
         Is quite good and was updated not too long ago. It is relatively simple to use and has been around for years. It was Martin who passed the link to me years ago.
   And yes it is free absolutely free,We will not mention free lunches or getting what you pay for but instead be happy with what we can access without having to get stuck for 400 smackeroos.
  Life is good, The sun shines bright on our array, heating the water and running the house, fuel free..Who could ask for more.
                                                                 Biff

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »

Thing is, over the years i've not joined any of these photo software companies for regular posting (exception was twitpic, for twitter, now defunct) ..because rules change & more often than not an old thread is no longer a good descriptive read because the image is "no longer available" ..so likely the originator moved on, changed pc's & didnt renew software agreement, etc..

Thus I tend to post anywhere the own forum can support it, it tends, in the main to stand the test of time.

IDGAD about photo bucket but thought it might be relevant to regular posters who are at risk of losing lots of what they deem valuable, thus the thread, before it dropped off my radar (memory fail: via head injuries).

Free, typically "aint" because of data exploitation (service agreement).

But yeah, ...renewables n' stuff.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:37:06 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: