navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC4 Connector meltdown on Inverter  (Read 1282 times)
planetming

« on: August 09, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

Thought I'd share my recent disaster with you in my first post.
My 3.6KW system was installed in June 2015 and has been running happily. My inverter is mounted in the garage and on a recent check I discovered one of the MC4 connectors at an angle. On closer inspection (see photos) one of the connectors had overheated and melted. Luckily it did not catch fire, modern low flamabibility plastics! I disconnected the circuit immediatly. When plugged back in you can see from the Infra red image the crimp has failed and caused the whole connector to heat up. Apparently this is quite common.

Then the fun started because I discovered my installer had gone out of business. So had to claim under the QANW insurance. Luckily I had all the paperwork and the claim has been accepted. I'm now waiting for the new company to replace the inverter. Meanwhile the system is running at less than half power during all this sunny weather Sad

The warning here is to regularly check your connectors, at both ends if you can and check they are not overheating under full load. Expecially if your inverter is loft mounted.

Happy Days

Robert

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:52:13 AM »

I can see 'solar' printed on the DC wires to the inverter. What puzzles me is the colour coding. I always thought that for DC applications it was red for positive and black for negative. Is this in UK?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »

I thought red and black were discarded years ago for brown and blue (for the benefit of those with colour deficiency).  At least for A/C live and neutral.  Why the need for different colours - the appropriate MC4 connector should determine the polarity?

Poster has a .co.uk email.

As I don’t have to make many connections, I have to admit to ‘belt and braces’ for mine - I solder them as well ( but I do try not to allow the solder to ‘wet’ the conductors beyond the joint (to avoid the risk vibration fractures beyond the connector Smiley).
linesrg

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »

Good Evening All,

My first question is are these genuine MC4's or 'mickey mouse' Chinese replica's?

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
DonL

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »

MC4 connectors are available as bulkhead fittings  and I have replaced damaged connectors into my inverter without difficulty. It should be possible to replace the bulkhead fitting and the connector on the end of the wire which may allow the inverter to go back into operation. You do need a special crimping tool to connect the lug on to the cable. Video's are available on the net showing the technique.

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:05:22 PM »

Indeed I would just fix it. Probably only cost about £2.50. I think you will find even "genuine" MC4's are made in china.

linesrg

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »

Rogeriko,

I can't comment but the genuine items have the white lettering on the side and black 'O' rings and any I come across which don't have that especially the red 'O' rings ones I cut off and replace.

I'm not a professional installer just a cautious amateur who has experienced the 'cheapo' connectors not properly engaging with the 'proper' ones.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
planetming

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »

Good Evening All,

My first question is are these genuine MC4's or 'mickey mouse' Chinese replica's?

Regards

Richard
I assumed these were the connectors suplied with the inverter, so would be genuine Chinese Solis connectors Smiley
planetming

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

MC4 connectors are available as bulkhead fittings  and I have replaced damaged connectors into my inverter without difficulty. It should be possible to replace the bulkhead fitting and the connector on the end of the wire which may allow the inverter to go back into operation. You do need a special crimping tool to connect the lug on to the cable. Video's are available on the net showing the technique.
As a professional Electronics Engineer I was seriously tempted to just replace the connectors. But the system is still under the insurance backed gaurantee. I'm hoping to keep the inverter when it's replaced. Then I'll repair it and keep as a spare.
planetming

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »

I thought red and black were discarded years ago for brown and blue (for the benefit of those with colour deficiency).  At least for A/C live and neutral.  Why the need for different colours - the appropriate MC4 connector should determine the polarity?

Poster has a .co.uk email.

As I don’t have to make many connections, I have to admit to ‘belt and braces’ for mine - I solder them as well ( but I do try not to allow the solder to ‘wet’ the conductors beyond the joint (to avoid the risk vibration fractures beyond the connector Smiley).
Hi There, yes a UK installation in 2015. Found an interesting article on the IET forums about harmonised colour codings.
https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=40584
"So a 2-wire negative-earth circuit will be brown & blue, a 2-wire positive-earth circuit will be gray & blue, and a 2-wire circuit with neither pole earthed will be brown & gray."
So I'm guessing a PV installation is 2 wire non-earthed, hence Brown and grey.

Robert

rogeriko

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »

As a professional Electronics Engineer I was seriously tempted to just replace the connectors. But the system is still under the insurance backed gaurantee. I'm hoping to keep the inverter when it's replaced. Then I'll repair it and keep as a spare.

And all our insurance premiums go up. Personally I would fix it. I have never claimed anything on any insurance policy in my 65 years, (we have 4 cars). stir stir

Westie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »

Hi There, yes a UK installation in 2015. Found an interesting article on the IET forums about harmonised colour codings.
https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=40584
"So a 2-wire negative-earth circuit will be brown & blue, a 2-wire positive-earth circuit will be gray & blue, and a 2-wire circuit with neither pole earthed will be brown & gray."
So I'm guessing a PV installation is 2 wire non-earthed, hence Brown and grey.

Robert

[/quote]

Well worth reading thro that thread ...  The IET seems to have completely lost the plot....  Going by wire colour you can no longer tell a 12V DC neg earth circuit from a 240V ac circuit! (both brown and blue).

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
glyndwr1998

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »

That connector is such an easy fix for someone with the right skill set, not at all a difficult task. I too would be fixing it rather than scrapping a £1000 inverter thats working ok. Ok, i see the idea about keeping the inverter as a spare, thats IF thr repair company offer that, they will more than probably take it away, fix it themselves and stick it on ebay for their own profit.

7.5kw solar pv
Prius plug in hybrid conversion by myself (now reverted back to standard prius)
Nissan e-NV200 wheelchair converted vehicle
Westie

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »

Why bother even using an MC4...  just remove the connector completely, use the hole to  direct wire it to the TB inside the inverter... if the cable is too short just replace it, actually i would do both MC4 at the same time,  every MC4 is a potential problem, even a good one has a small volt drop across it at full load,  so minimise the number used... SMA don't use MC4's into the inverter they're direct wired.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Tinbum

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »

I re-socketed an SMA tripower that had damaged connectors from a fire nearby. Bought them already with a length of wire on them and then just soldered that to the PCB. The soldering was the hardest part as the PCB tracks conducted the heat away very efficiently.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: