navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 18650 cell batteries  (Read 957 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »

I think you mean redox flow battery biff.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »

facepalm facepalm facepalm,
                 Thanks Stann.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Paul_m

Absolutely no idea what I'm doing

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

Tiff, I did,  a couple of days ago.  I never realised that it was such a big thing.
I think I'm going to devote my spare time through the week while working away to it.
What's the worst than can happen?  I waste a loss of my own time. .
Well that's free to me. A few hundred cells and some consumables.
I'll learn something along  the way.

Many thanks,

Paul
Fionn

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »

I'd advise picking up second hand growatt or EV lithium packs if you want to do large scale storage for your home.

They're a lot safer, more reliable and less time consuming than large 18650 packs. Also less expensive in my experience, the costs of supplies required for the 18650 pack builds add up quite fast.
Last I looked the 18650 guys seem to have converged on a design with large quantities in parallel wired to busbars via axial fuses as has been described here. It still requires a lot of management keeping them in check.
I have a quantity of 18650s myself but I only use them for small projects - torches, battery banks and the likes.
A discharge tester is essential to sort the wheat from the chaff.
I may use some for ebikes etc down the road, although I still have a lot of LiPo and LiIon for that.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Paul_m

Absolutely no idea what I'm doing

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

I had a growatt lined up for 1k. Well 2 actually, but I don't want it right now. I liked the idea of adding a pack at my leisure to increase ah slowly.

Many thanks,

Paul
Fionn

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »

It's not really an option to add capacity as you go with the 18650 approach to be honest. You need to pick your series voltage at the start and then if you want to add capacity you would need to add cells to each pack in the series string.
I think an IR camera would be a huge asset for cell management if you go down that route, it should help show up weak cells under charge before they fail.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »

Excellent advice Fionn, genuflect
                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »

I think an IR camera would be a huge asset for cell management if you go down that route, it should help show up weak cells under charge before they fail.

An IR camera is a huge asset for hunners of things and an IR thermometer at least is essential.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: