navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 13307 times)
Sprinter

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »

is your modem/router a BT one?

Irrespective of its make (i have had issues with a standard BT router) have a look and see if it uses the same SID (wifi name) for 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi networks, many do and i found this confused my battery system no end, in fact i had 3 wifi networks all using the same SID:

2.4 Ghz-called dave
5 Ghz - called dave
plug in wifi extender - you guessed it called dave,  (that sends the networking over the electric cabling so i could plug the extender in closer to the devices that needed to connect.

[Edited]
The idea from BT was that any devices only needed connecting to dave, and it could then connect to the best dave available, the practice was far less reliable.

What i found was happening was that the batteries would connect to the wifi called dave (for arguments sake), this happend to be the wifi extender, but when Dave reset, rebooted, stopped working or indeed had any problem (sometimes it didn't even have a problem) it would connect to the 2.4 Ghz (also called dave) but it could not establish a connection properly so would lose signal and drop off, it would then fail to recover when the broadband extender came back online, it wouldn't connect to it because it was already connected to dave the 2.4 Ghz wifi network.

I had to rename the SIDs on the router to dave24 (2.4 Ghz), dave5 (5 Ghz network) and i left dave the broadband extender with its original name.

Now when dave drops out or the signal gets weaker it no longer connects to the other daves in the house as they no longer exist, and everything has stabilized again.

I am not sure if i have explained this properly but if you can understand what i am getting at make sure all wifi networks have different SID's, and your end device is only configured to connect to one of unique SIDs.

now when dave the wifi extender has a fault of any kind, once it gets back online the batteries reestablish connection and automatically start working again, might be a red herring, but it might just help

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:25:02 PM by Sprinter » Logged
dickster

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

Hi Sprinter,

This sounds like very useful information. We have 3 Belkin D65 names/addresses and occasionally have to switch from one to another when using laptop. I'm not sure which name the Gateway 2 is using, so I'll have to figure it all out in between buying/wrapping presents for her indoors. Might be a while...., but thanks very much for your post.
Fintray

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »

HI Fintray

Its a Secure Liberty 110 but there were no instructions left nor a separate display for the house so I haven't got a clue what happening!

Octopus have said its not on their system yet but once it is I will be on Octopus Go, but still aint got a clue how it all work without some sort of Instructions !

Just have to be patient !

Hi Russ

Is your smart meter connected to Octopus yet?

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2019, 04:03:37 PM »

No !!

The 3rd party company who originally installed the Smart Meter didn't turn up last week to install the IHD (which they should have done when they fitted the Meter) and when I contacted Octopus again about it they said our account still wasn't linked ?!

Only thing is I have a contact at Octopus who does actually reply to my emails, but this is getting silly !

HI Fintray

Its a Secure Liberty 110 but there were no instructions left nor a separate display for the house so I haven't got a clue what happening!

Octopus have said its not on their system yet but once it is I will be on Octopus Go, but still aint got a clue how it all work without some sort of Instructions !

Just have to be patient !

Hi Russ

Is your smart meter connected to Octopus yet?

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
Fintray

« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »

I contacted Octopus again asking if they had any connected smart meters in my area yet and was told that they are now receiving data from my meter and it should be all ready in about a week, so if it does work I'll let you know.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
dickster

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »

So there we have it.

I'd already set my Powerwall 2 via Gateway 2 to a near full charge and upped the % saved in case of power cuts this weekend, "storm of the century", no less.

With no knowledge of an update or mention from Tesla,  it switched to Storm mode early yesterday, charged fully and then waited for a powercut. We had 2 one minute switch overs. Meanwhile I'm using E7 peak electricity at around 30 p a unit. Didn't even know Storm watch was live in the UK.

It's only later that I saw a storm watch on/off setting.

So in one sense it's pretty damn good at doing stuff, but on the other hand it brings it home to you that over in California, Mr Musk has his hands on a big switch that he can play with any time he likes.

The price you pay.

Aunat

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »

Mine too switched to storm mode, and like you I wasn't even aware it had such a feature. I'm 99.99% sure that the storm feature didn't exist before the weekend either  Huh. Fortunately I saw it switch with an alert on my smartphone so I went in to the settings and turned it off to prevent it charging all three Powerwalls with peak electricity. I also had zero power outages this weekend according to my app, so I'm glad I switched it off Smiley

20.075kW - 55 x 365W LG Neon R (East/South/West)
15kW SolarEdge
3 x Powerwall II
3 x Tesla Backup Gateway
Solar iBoost firmware v8
Tesla X 100D
nowty

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »

I have a similar issue with my Sunny Island in that it occasionally does a FULL charge using grid leccy and it seemed to be random and over rides my own setting of almost never. I have been caught out 3 times over the past few months with high peak rate leccy imports. But I recently found an SMA Battery Management document which said it does this once the battery has been discharged a cumulative 800% of the batteries nominal capacity. So I can now monitor this parameter and intervene just before it does so. I can force an EQ charge for a few seconds, then cancel it and that resets the parameter.

12kW+ of PV installed and 57+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
270,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »

My Powerwall was installed with only the Gateway 1, anyone know how much to swap out to a Gateway 2 before I go asking the original installers ?

phoooby

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2020, 10:58:06 PM »

I have heard about 2k for Gateway 2 upgrade but don't quote me.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
cambjones

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2020, 07:55:40 AM »

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies if it's not.

I have 10.4 w array and, 2x Tesla Powerwall 2s & a first generation Gateway, ie not a back up.
I recently switched over to the Octopus EV plan where you get power at ~5p between 12:30am and 4:30am.

Since switching my lights pulsate when my PVs are generating power... when I switch off either battery it stops, when I switch it back on it starts again.

Also when the batteries are charging during the day, it pulls power from the grid to charge the batteries at the same time Usually when the PVs are pulling > ~1 kw

It's all started the day the Octopus new smart meter was installed. CT clips are all ok.

My Solar PV installer contacted Tesla and they said others had reported issues after the Octopus Smart Meter was installed...

Anyone else on here have similar issues?

Cheers
dickster

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »

Russ and Tim,

I paid around 900.00 for my Gateway 2, but bear in mind the installer went away with a Gateway 1 in his pocket!:)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »

Yeah got a quote from the guys who installed everything and its 1700 plus so given the price of candle,s think I'll give it a miss !!

Also as we are now on Agile, just registered for Agile Outgoing which will be a few pennies back for putting excess to the grid, yesterday because it was so sunny (yes really!) we were putting a fair bit back to the grid because the battery was fully charged by noon.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: