navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proven 6kw Turbine / SMA Windy boy Inverter Advice sought...  (Read 1631 times)
jonsamcor

« on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »

Hi I am a noob from Co.Down….. Please excuse my lack of knowledge …..but I can find no one locally to give me any help or information ….

I have a Proven 6kw Turbine on (what I think anyway) is a good site, serving my home its in the Drumlins of Co.Down BT25 postcode. Its about 10 years old

I had the turbine serviced about a year ago by Kingspan who I learnt had bought Proven (who I have just found out have off loaded the Turbines to SD Wind) The service guy was from Scotland and great actually....I took the day off and learnt a bit ...but it was not cheap....

Could someone show me a link to a good service schedule for this type of turbine ? i.e. what needs done and at what intervals ? (The last one had lots of grease and fully replaced the springs among other things)

The Inverter is SMA Windy Boy (which I now know are not made anymore) What is their lifespan ?

Is their a Forum section where I can Post figures re KW/H to get a handle on what it should be producing ?

Thanks Jonny

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »

You will find lots of help here on this forum. Now where is Camillitech when you need him?

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

Hello Jonny and welcome to the forum,
                                Our Proven Expert should be along shortly. He might be parking the ferry or feeding the pigs but he should not be long.
  I was quite surprised to hear that Kingspan sold out to SD. You should not have anything to worry about. The modern Proven are very good and live long useful lives.
 There are quite a few off gridders living not far from you. We have a member called Woody and he is big into wind turbines. I think he is only about 30 minutes from you.
 I used to have all his details but I will look it up and see can I find them again but he drops in regularly and will probably offer to give you a hand. Very helpful chap.

Biff
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:10:42 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
jonsamcor

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »

Great .... thanks 🙏
My post code is BT25 I’m in the foothills close to Dromara....
There is and has been for the last while a constant loud humming from my control panel, I have had it before on and off and assumed it was a normal operating occurrence....
But now it’s constant....it seems from the Windy boy to be still going ok, but it is throwing up “Disturbance” messages which I have not noticed before in 10 years.....
My last electric bill was double what it was for Winter ....to me it’s just a hunch that somethings amiss ..
Thank you for replying

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
jonsamcor

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »

The windy boy tells me the energy total produced is 75,000 kw/h which over 10 years = c. 20 kw/h per day on average...?

However in the past few days when I have noticed the “constant hum” the energy produced is like 1.3 kw/h and has been seriously windy for several days .... which adds to my hunch something’s not right ....
Jonny

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »

Hello  Jonny and welcome.
It is quite feasible to service the proven yourself. Do you have the kit to lower it yourself?
I'm sure Paul will be along to help shortly.

jonsamcor

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:46:01 AM »

I have the poles for lowering but not the anchor in the ground thanks to the installer.... but will work on sorting that....

oliver90owner

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »

I have the poles for lowering but not the anchor in the ground thanks to the installer.... but will work on sorting that....

A suitably sized vehicle was used for lowering/raising instead?
jonsamcor

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »

Yes track machine....

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »

This is Pauls website lots of interesting stuff on turbines

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/?s=proven

Try you tube search

Servicing a small 6kW wind turbine

The first post is worth a look.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:31:41 PM by todthedog » Logged
jonsamcor

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »

That blog post was great thanks....
If any of the experts pick up on this thread let ping a reminder …. I don't think the issue is with the inverter more the control panel ….(but that an un-educated guess at best)
Jonny

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »

Do you have the rectifier box that has the ammeter and voltmeter on the front? If so, what are they showing?

Volunteer moderator
heatherhopper

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 05:37:48 PM »

Jonny
Can you provide some more information about your installation. Photos, schematics or just a laymans description of the turbine/wind interface/inverter would be useful. You may have a standard (for the time) Proven grid-tie set-up, you may not.

The Inverter is SMA Windy Boy (which I now know are not made anymore) What is their lifespan ?

Depends largely on their individual use I would imagine. 10-15 years is not an unreasonable expectation - SMA have offered extended warranties on their inverters for much longer which suggests some confidence. I have read of issues with the original Windyboys but not sure how valid they were.

There is and has been for the last while a constant loud humming from my control panel, I have had it before on and off and assumed it was a normal operating occurrence....
But now it’s constant....it seems from the Windy boy to be still going ok, but it is throwing up “Disturbance” messages which I have not noticed before in 10 years.....

Although my turbine is of a similar age and ex-grid-tied I have twin WB 3000s so would not wish to guess what your inverteris telling you without knowing the exact model. Do you have a manual for the Windyboy? If not you can, eg, download this (WB 6000) from the SMA website:
https://files.sma.de/dl/5661/WB50_60-11-FE4105.pdf
The manual will give you a basic fault finding process based on the LED status and error messages. First impression (since you seem to imply it reconnects itself without your input) is that the inverter is variably disconnecting from the grid due to grid conditions (AC side) not meeting the required criteria (voltage, frequency etc). Whether that is an inverter issue or something external would require more investigation but for a start you should establish what the pattern of disturbance is and what the associated error messages are.
Humming (and I assume you mean from the inverter itself when you say control panel) is not necessarily an issue. Mine do it all the time as grid frequency increases and the inverter prepares to back off - note however that mine are operating rather differently on a standalone grid with an intentionally fluctuating frequency.

The windy boy tells me the energy total produced is 75,000 kw/h which over 10 years = c. 20 kw/h per day on average...?

Sadly few people publish turbine output figures. Both Paul (the resident expert) and I have published data on this forum for our own Provens. I would suggest your 10 year total output points to a respectable, but not high, return. Everything depends on your particular local conditions so direct comparisons are not very helpful. If you have local (and I mean local to you, not the general area) wind speed records of some kind  you can make a rough estimate of what you should get. I can give you comprehensive data for mine (down to 5 sec intervals if you want!) but we have unique conditions so what you could make of it I don't know.

People have different opinions about the maintenance schedule for a Proven. Hugh Piggott has a good description on his website of a service routine and I'm sure Paul will elaborate on his own website coverage. Personally I think it depends on what sort of conditions the turbine is subjected to although there are disaster stories for all circumstances. I lower mine for at least the basics of greasing, bolt/fastner checking and slip ring cleaning at least every two years but have been in the situation of watching things deteriorate within a year of servicing! The circumstances are covered in a another topic in this section of the forum.

EDIT - drat some more info since I typed this but posting anyway!

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
jonsamcor

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »

Thanks again I went out and took some pictures and will upload later...

My site is really good for wind (I can tell by the number of commercial level turbines I can see from my site) I will take a picture it was foggy this morning there are probably around 10 within a couple of miles

Re the inverter / humming issue / disturbance message I think I might have worked it out... but only think....

One of my GSHP burned out its soft starter (again....) the engineer patched it up as a temporary fix until I decide what to do (its being ripped out) so the main unit has no soft start and when the house calls for heat/hot water causing the pump to come on there is a big load required - the lights in the house flicker etc …. this in turn causes the "disturbance" message on the inverter which stops working and generation from the turbine stops and causes the constant humming on the control panel ….

Does this sound plausible ? 

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

The spike could easily be throwing the voltage outside the inverters spec. causing a reset. But it should be running normally again within 15 minutes. Does the GSHP turn itself on/off very frequently?

Volunteer moderator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: