navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on a second hand EV  (Read 785 times)
GarethC

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 04:48:20 PM »

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+carbonbrief+%28The+Carbon+Brief%29

Guardian did analysis too a couple of years ago.
kristen

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »

From what I can make out fossil fuel is converted to electricity at between 33%-50% efficiency

Even if your, current, only source of electricity is from Fossil Fuels won't it get greener during your ownership of the car?  Can't achieve that with an ICE Smiley and can't you choose to use Green Juice from the start?

The Renault Zoe charges at around 70% efficiency
EV car is 60% efficient

Those seem really low to me, compared to what I remember reading ... but I may have mis-remembered (unless Zoe is less efficient than average EV for some reason?)

Not very empirical, but someone in Australia put a gallon in a generator and charged their Tesla ... and then got more miles than a (reasonably efficient) ICE car did on a gallon.

Generator runs at optimum, constant, Revs - whereas ICE car has to have emission controls that work across all Revs etc.

https://electrek.co/2018/02/16/tesla-model-s-charged-diesel-generator/

I think the other factor is that switching from ICE to EV creates market pressure. There must be some improvement to come for EVs with economies of scale, some of which will be improvements in greening; charging the EV overnight soaking up base-load etc.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 07:00:48 PM »

We bought a nissan leaf (Acenta) last year with 8k on the clock for just over 8k (plus buyer comission) via BCA you can join easily (free) & peruse / keyword search for all electric vehicles in forthcoming auctions...

Athough winter wasn't harsh it did affect estimated mileage for a couple of weeks, "marginally" ...my wife though, smug as hell because of pre-heating & zero need to scrape ice in the morning at 6.45am ..the neighbours love its stealthy silent nature too.

Pre-cooling not so good as you have to remember to set it on the dash before you leave the car, or else it may struggle to really cool when needed, we adore it though.

Wife very happy about the car, not too happy about charging infrastructure, she atypically gets 4.2 miles per kilowatt hour, we mainly charge from home, but travel to milton keynes alot as a result, SO many charging points there, rapid charge, few hours in the dome, drive back guilt free, just shy of 100 miles round trip (inc roadworks).

Sounds like a 24 kWh leaf would do you just fine, pick up is terrific, we drive in max regen, (have to remind wife to change the settings on the dash so the brakes get cleaned occasionally).

No drama charging, just not as much as to give her confidence to really drive long distances into the unknown, though that is a remnant of the smaller battery & her mindset clashing, we have never gone into turtle mode in 10,000 miles of motoring in a year.

cheap is possible, we are on a renewable tariff, charge slowly (95% of time) & it works, mile from a windfarm so you can be sure its all coming from there regardless garden

Incidentally, since I don't think i'm getting my licence back I picked up an A-B ebike from Bristol yesterday (416 watt hour battery & my large frame) ..cycled across london in peak traffic to catch my train north(ish) "twas a breeze" (unlike 20 years ago on a regular MTB) ...the bike lanes help, but the attitude of drivers seems to have improved also, quite civil.

SO many Prius hybrids I stopped counting, ZERO pure e.v. ...just seems a mental defecit to be carrying a stonkingly heavy car engine in such heavy sub 20 mph stop start traffic!
Rode bike home from the station in 30 minutes, no grating knee-cap, just a sore butt.

It sounds like you are the perfect contender for a smaller battery leaf... we've had a granny cable through the wall & been fine.
No way could we live with the battery rental of renault, which is what put us off a twizy sometime ago, now the twizy is like hens teeth.

My kid (now 15) got home from school, & has nicked my "new" ebike,  ..pedalled off shouting "you're going to have to learn to share this Dad" ..she's got more confidence on the main roads in a 20 minute ride as a result of the instant pick up, despite it being a heavy framed bike.

Makes me think that 15.5 mph for bikes with disc brakes ought to be 20 -25mph instead.

We need to get more law makers onto & into E-transport of all kinds to speed lower carbon transport uptake along.  

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
brackwell

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »

The Nat Grid leccy is c250grms CO2/kwh  and diesel in a ICE is c300grms CO2/kwh

A EV does 4mls /kwh and a ICE does 1ml/kwh (at best) ie a EV produces 20%-25% the polution of CO2 but also NO PATICULATES which kills people, no benzene fumes which are carcogenic,less brake dust pollution.

EV is much superior driving experience, costs less than the ICE equivalent and pollutes a lot less. We need it now!

Ken
GarethC

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »

https://insideevs.com/features/350266/electric-cars-vs-gas-cars-emissions/

Links to study by union of concerned scientists that doesn't look too biased.
kristen

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »

There are countless arguments of course ...

One of them is that pollution for EVs is "out of town" - at power generation site etc. - so that driving in town is then not polluting the air.
Bodidly

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »

https://insideevs.com/features/350266/electric-cars-vs-gas-cars-emissions/

Links to study by union of concerned scientists that doesn't look too biased.

Bias is why I was just trying to follow the efficiency of energy generation to home without getting into EV V ICE cars debated which inevitably brings in bias. Thought there should some spot-on data for this.
GarethC

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

Interestingly, one of the difficulties I used to have with this kind of calculation (also for heat pumps vs gas heating) is that I used to feel that I should use the emissions from a coal fired power station in them when feeding in the emissions associated with the leccy used.

The argument was that additional marginal demand for leccy represented by my EV or heat pump was likely to be met by coal (all other things being equal). Now, it really is near as damn it fair to say that marginal demand will be met by gas. That transforms the calculations by more tha halving the leccy carbon intensity. And is why I'm very very seriously looking at getting a heat pump. Even with an SPF of just 2.5, conservative assumption, it would lop a chunk off my heating emissions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: