navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla solar roof is still a bit, eer, expensive  (Read 261 times)
dan_b

« on: June 14, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »

https://electrek.co/2019/06/14/tesla-solar-roof-quote-price/

Ok, so I guess you need to factor in if you're building a new house from scratch, or completely re-doing an old collapsed roof would it then make sense to do this?

"For a 9.45 kW system on a 1,862 square foot roof, Tesla is charging $64,634 for the solar roof, along with $10,050 for a Powerwall, and another $10,630 for roof and site repairs.
It adds up to a shocking total of $85,314 for the entire solar roof system and work."

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
pdf27

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »

https://electrek.co/2019/06/14/tesla-solar-roof-quote-price/

Ok, so I guess you need to factor in if you're building a new house from scratch, or completely re-doing an old collapsed roof would it then make sense to do this?
Not really unless you're really particular about aesthetics - something like https://www.irfts.com/easy-roof-evolution/ can be had for a fraction of the price.
kristen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »

"For a 9.45 kW system on a 1,862 square foot roof, Tesla is charging $64,634 for the solar roof, along with $10,050 for a Powerwall, and another $10,630 for roof and site repairs.
It adds up to a shocking total of $85,314 for the entire solar roof system and work."

You left out the comparison figures for a conventional roof with PV add-ons Smiley

That was $87,619 (against $85,314 as you quoted for Tesla Roof)

That includes conventional roof ($37,245 vs. Tesla PV Tiled roof of $64,634) but then you have to put PV panels on it - add $29,681. And it seems that the USA Grants favour Tesla Roof, maybe just because it is more a expensive form of PV?, which was $3,750 in Tesla favour.

All still looks expensive to me ... and may be cherry picking the figures, but for someone who wants PV and an aesthetic look its probably a goer.
pdf27

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »

That's crazy expensive for a roof covering - $200/square metre, real values in the UK are less than half that of which only about 20% is the cost of the tiles with the rest being in installation, membranes, ridges and valleys, etc.
They're also assuming a system cost of $3,100/kW - about twice what I understand current prices to be. An equivalent new tiled roof with PV panels mounted on top would be about a third of the cost of a Tesla roof.
kristen

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:27:33 AM »

That's crazy expensive for a roof covering - $200/square metre, real values in the UK are less than half that

Judging by the comments (which I hadn't read before) you can get a tiled roof in USA for half that too ...

Perhaps a future price drop of 50% for the solar tiles could be achieved over time, but I don't know how Tesla will find buyers, at the published price, in order to have the opportunity to scale up production
RIT

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »

I guess the pricing is in part the nature of the vendor. Consider how much Jaguar or BMW would charge if they were in the same market. Until Tesla can produce more tiles than it can sell at this price there is no real reason for them to lower their prices.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: