navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage heater  (Read 807 times)
pantsmachine

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »

The size of storage unit and elements within define the max charge, a smart switch will allow you to spec when the unit charges or a immersun will auto divert the excess from the panels. Discharge is auto on this unit/ Larger units have adjustment. The ebay link is excellent but prices are high. I bought about 6 maybe 8 for 200 from Gumtree a few years ago for various properties and as back up for same. Gumtree rocks! Sizes went from 850 watt up to 3.5kw/4kw monsters.

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
7.2 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
A.L.

G69, Glasgow

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »

hello billi

It is important that the particular storage rad does not have any form of automatic charge control, a mechanism to vary charging according to the climatic conditions. So generally 'base' models are suitable.

A . tell the night-storage heater,  when  to be charged ?  I mean can i decide   what time of the day i allow surplus from PV and wind  charges the storage heater

Simple storage radiators will charge when there is a voltage across their terminals and their contents are cooler than the temperature corresponding to the setting of any 'input' control (if it has one).

B.  i can decide when the heater gives out that heat ?

To a limited extent if the storage radiator has an 'output' control. They will all give out a proportion in an uncontrolled manner. The output control operates a flap which allows the remaining heat to be released at a higher rate. The flap opens when the temperature of the contents falls below a temperature corresponding to the setting of the output control Note:- a low numerical value corresponds to a high temperature and a high numerical value (usually 6) a low temperature. It is normally best to keep the output control at the absolute minimum value as this keeps the damper closed and if necessary turning the control until the damper visibly or audibly opens to let the heat out more rapidly, remembering to reset it to the minimum before the radiator is likely to be recharged.

C. The charging up can be  as small as say 850 watt , but the discharge can be say upto 3000 w ?

The charge can be any positive value up to the original charging capacity. The discharge will be as originally designed.

D.  all what its needed is a diverting relay,  to supply those 850 watt  to a socket or could be the charging of the heater be flexible in watts  ?

As answer to C in regard of charging.

I agree with pantsmachine about the prices, it is sometimes possible to get them for taking away
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:41:06 PM by A.L. » Logged
kdmnx

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »

I'm going to get one for my office. It is an outbuilding I built a few years back that we call "The Shed". It is well insulated (50mm in the floor, 100mm in the walls and roof, together with A-rated double glazing. But it is heated by resistive heaters.

I'm planning to switch to Octopus Go once they get around to fitting a smart meter. So I'll be able to charge the storage heater on cheap overnight power. I could get a "solar diverter" but I don't use the heating much in summer and I don't generate enough power in winter, so the dierter would only be useful on bright sunny days in the shoulder months.

Most storage heaters leak heat out pretty horrifically, they are designed to have lost all their heat in 16hours even if you don't operate the "flaps" or "fans". They market this leakage as a "feature" but it is really just crappy insulation. The only storage heater I've found that can hold the heat in are the (expensive) Dimplex Quantum models.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080kWp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »

hello billi

It is important that the particular storage rad does not have any form of automatic charge control, a mechanism to vary charging according to the climatic conditions. So generally 'base' models are suitable.

A . tell the night-storage heater,  when  to be charged ?  I mean can i decide   what time of the day i allow surplus from PV and wind  charges the storage heater

Simple storage radiators will charge when there is a voltage across their terminals and their contents are cooler than the temperature corresponding to the setting of any 'input' control (if it has one).

B.  i can decide when the heater gives out that heat ?

thanks  genuflect

To a limited extent if the storage radiator has an 'output' control. They will all give out a proportion in an uncontrolled manner. The output control operates a flap which allows the remaining heat to be released at a higher rate. The flap opens when the temperature of the contents falls below a temperature corresponding to the setting of the output control Note:- a low numerical value corresponds to a high temperature and a high numerical value (usually 6) a low temperature. It is normally best to keep the output control at the absolute minimum value as this keeps the damper closed and if necessary turning the control until the damper visibly or audibly opens to let the heat out more rapidly, remembering to reset it to the minimum before the radiator is likely to be recharged.

C. The charging up can be  as small as say 850 watt , but the discharge can be say upto 3000 w ?

The charge can be any positive value up to the original charging capacity. The discharge will be as originally designed.

D.  all what its needed is a diverting relay,  to supply those 850 watt  to a socket or could be the charging of the heater be flexible in watts  ?

As answer to C in regard of charging.

I agree with pantsmachine about the prices, it is sometimes possible to get them for taking away

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
pantsmachine

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »

Our pair of HIVE smart plugs arrived today. With a very simple set up we now have a large fridge freezer on a timed switch to turn off during morning and afternoon/evening peaks on Agile thus curtailing the higher costs during these times . In addition our wee storage heater is now mobile phone & Alexa controlled for the times of excess solar which in Northern Scotland can be sporadic. This is cool!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:04:31 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
7.2 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Stig

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »

Thanks to my little storage heater and a good chunk of passive solar gain I haven't used the GCH since Monday morning.  Grin
sbchapman

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

Ditto, plus all DHW met by solar thermal - unfortunately have a Gledbill thermal store so iBoost-heated DHW not an option

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: