navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a project......  (Read 719 times)
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »

Guess you can all see from the photo what it is but I thought i'd document the install so you can all see my mistakes. there is a slight twist to this project -you'll see later -but it is genuine.
Box picked up from the good folks at Navitron probably2 yrs ago on one of their clearences,been sat at work ever since.
Keep tuned for schoolboy errors....
George

nowty

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »

Somehow I doubt it will be as epic as your 3.8kW Tracker, I remember being glued to the story back in 2011 and before my renewable story even started. genuflect

For any recent folks on here, its worth a look. wackoold
https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14284.0.html

Will still be watching your new project with interest. fingers crossed!

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
ecogeorge

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »

Somehow I doubt it will be as epic as your 3.8kW Tracker, I remember being glued to the story back in 2011 and before my renewable story even started. genuflect

For any recent folks on here, its worth a look. wackoold
https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14284.0.html

Will still be watching your new project with interest. fingers crossed!

Thank you for those kind words  ...... this will not be as epic .........  Tracker still running like clockwork, never failed- so the x wife tells me ...was too heavy to move  surrender
ecogeorge

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »

Been a slow start folks , sawed wood first thing and trying to keep on top of 3.5 allotments .....brussel sprout plants in today ,  parsnip seed germinating at 3rd attempt .....
First thing to do is clear the site ......
George.

ecogeorge

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:00:26 PM »

Apparently SWMBO says I need to paint the wall !  but  we only have a small amount of paint left. Every store /screwfix/toolstation out of stock cos furloughed peeps doing diy !
Decide to paint where pipe run will be and hardest to reach places until we can get more .....
Dont want to hold up the install ...
George

ecogeorge

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42:41 PM »

Time to position the heatpump , manual says need to have 50cm minimum behind. Need to drill the holes into the house tomorrow before I  bolt it down. But it will look like this ......
George.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:14 PM »

George, I'm all agog.
      Do you get ones that can run on 2kw.
    Or 138vdc ?
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Countrypaul

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:19:52 AM »

Surely you will raise it upon some feet - or stand, otehrwise even with a slight snowfall you will have trouble. I know ours is quite high up, but that is because I haven't finished landscaping yet, but even when I do, it will still be high enough so most snowfalls won't adversely affect the airflow.
rogeriko

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »

That unit needs warm air to operate efficiently. It looks like the space into which it is blowing will fill with cold heavy air that will recirculate back through the unit. What is behind you when you took the picture, is there somewhere for the cold air to flow away? It needs to be higher so it can get air from above the wall, maybe some ducting??

ecogeorge

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 11:14:40 AM »

House to left of heatpump (red brick) faces just north of west and gets afternoon and evening sun -actually its a bit of a heat trap there .  
Accept position may not be ideal but there really is no other location. Have left 500mm between pump and wall.
George
EDIT -photo from farther back......heatpump on right.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:24:39 AM by ecogeorge » Logged
Tinbum

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »

Just one thing- Is your neighbor going to OK with you having it right next to their house? (If in the UK I think you actually need planning permission for them).

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
nowty

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 12:50:15 PM »

Just one thing- Is your neighbor going to OK with you having it right next to their house? (If in the UK I think you actually need planning permission for them).

Permitted development since 1st December 2011.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/27/heat_pumps/2

However two of the caveats is that its one meter from the boundary and that there are no other air source heatpumps or wind turbines within the curtilage.
So if his mini wind turbine is still running, both of these caveats may apply.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
ecogeorge

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »

Slow day , not a  huge amount of progress .......
Need to get the hot water into the house. Plan to use a  heat exchanger as the heating hot water circuit goes through a wood burner and is "dirty"  . Also want to keep the heatpump volume low to reduce antifreeze required.
Offered heat exchanger up to mark wall .
George

ecogeorge

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »

Got a core drill , but boy are these bricks hard !  Had to resort to hose to cool core drill . But even if I say myself not a shoddy result ......
George

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:46:32 PM by ecogeorge » Logged
ecogeorge

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »

Not a lot more achieved - pipes into house installed.  More planned tomorrow but allotments call and  have to shear a few sheep am.........

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:51:51 PM by ecogeorge » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: