navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMA WB6000A stopped working completely No lights Nothing !!!  (Read 5872 times)
Graejake

« on: June 07, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »

I have a Kingspan kw6 that is 7 years old itís been serviced every year up until 2018 & no problems But I just
Noticed that the inverter SMA WB6000A has stopped working even when you knock on the window nothing happens, is there anything I need to check ??
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:33 PM »

Supply from the grid/fuse/circuit breaker

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »

Worth checking of course but it should power up via the DC once the turbine reaches 'cut in' speed and display 'VAC disturbance'. More likely the fault is on the turbine side of things, assuming the inverter isn't feckered. Worth checking the outputat the turbine across the phases, fuses inside the controller and rectifier.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Graejake

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:47:38 AM »

I did check the voltage from the turbine side & it was around 160v when it was very windy & that voltage was right through to where it terminates inside the Windyboy.
I also checked the fuse & voltage from the grid fuse box side & it was approx 246v right into the Windy boy & when the isolator is switched off as you would expect
No voltage !!
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:59:54 AM »

Don't think 160V is enough to 'wake up' the inverter and the off load voltage should be way higher than that if it is windy. Having said that I'm assuming you are using a Proven controller? That 160V, where is it measured from, try measuring the AC across the phases when the wind is blowing.

Good luck, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Graejake

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:31:50 AM »

This is where I initially checked the dc voltage & was around 160v going up & down with the wind but that was 2 days ago & it was about 30knots
Thanks
Graeme

* 3D9D02E2-7C45-4F58-931D-AD4158C8F6D7.jpeg (109.73 KB, 640x480 - viewed 188 times.)
Graejake

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »

I did watch a YouTube video of a KW6 in operation & it showed you the voltage when it was operating & it was a steady 300v + so I did wonder if It was at the turbine side.
Thanks
Graeme
Graejake

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »

This is the set up I have.

* 9C11AE81-AD93-440B-AB87-13AF20E7A73F.jpeg (100.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 201 times.)
Graejake

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:33 AM »

So just got of the phone With SMA & they guy said that the display should
Come on or at least there should be some lights with AC or DC power going into either side. 🤔
Tinbum

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »

Worth checking of course but it should power up via the DC once the turbine reaches 'cut in' speed and display 'VAC disturbance'. More likely the fault is on the turbine side of things, assuming the inverter isn't feckered. Worth checking the outputat the turbine across the phases, fuses inside the controller and rectifier.

Good luck, Paul

It should power up with the mains connected so it doesn't matter at all what the turbine is doing so no point in even looking at the turbine. That's just complicating things. If the mains is on and the fuse etc ok then the inverter is faulty..

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
heatherhopper

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »

It looks to me like your set-up might be something like this edited photo.

Turbine AC through isolator to SMA Windyboy Protection Box (WPB) - YELLOW
Rectified DC from WPB to Inverter - BLUE
DC overvoltage dump from WPB to dump load heater - GREEN

I'm not very good at following others' wiring so I may have this completely wrong but what I have marked would be a standard configuration. No idea what all the other stuff is apart from what appears to be the generation meter.
Are you sure you have been measuring the right things in the right places?

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Graejake

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:13:15 AM »

Yeah you have that P & id spot on 😉.
As Tinbum said the Power from the AC Side is Going into the inverter & that should be enough to power up the inverter & thatís exactly what the Technician said from SMA, so no point looking at the Turbine side & it was only a year & a half since itís last service So looks like a Inverter replacement.
heatherhopper

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »

Uhmm - no, not necessarily.
I agree with Paul - if you are only getting 160v AC from the Turbine the Inverter may well not "wake up".
Is your inverter always on even when the Turbine is stationary? Mine isn't.

Edit as an afterthought for clarity:
Before the WBP is Turbine AC.
After the WBP is rectified DC
You will need close to 250v DC to "wake the Inverter up".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:56:58 AM by heatherhopper » Logged

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Alan D

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »

VPV Start is 300 Volts D.C.

Vpv-Start This parameter defines the grid connection voltage.
As soon as the DC input voltage of the inverter reaches the voltage
specified here, the grid monitoring system of the inverter is activated. In this
case, the inverter will perform various self-tests, measurement processes,
and the grid synchronization. When the tests have been successfully
completed and the DC input voltage for the time "T-Start" rises above
"Vpv-Start," the inverter will connect to the grid.

Below is a link to the Data.

http://files.sma.de/dl/1355/WB_Par-TEN093910.pdf

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:11:00 AM by Alan D » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »

Uhmm - no, not necessarily.
I agree with Paul - if you are only getting 160v AC from the Turbine the Inverter may well not "wake up".
Is your inverter always on even when the Turbine is stationary? Mine isn't.

Edit as an afterthought for clarity:
Before the WBP is Turbine AC.
After the WBP is rectified DC
You will need close to 250v DC to "wake the Inverter up".

Yup, same turbine and inverter here, mine goes to sleep and will not wake up if input DC less than 250ish. My turbine is  AC coupled and I switch it off during the day via the Ďmainsí input at this time of year so that the PV runs during the day and Proven at night. If there is not 250v DC THERE ARE NO LIGHTS from cold. If you disconnect the AC with the inverter lit up then the lights will stay on until DC voltage falls below a certain value for a certain time. I think the default  is 6 minutes but Myself and many others extend this to the max parameter ( perhaps 60 mins). If your turbine was installed by Proven then this has probably been done. Later controllers seem to have some relays inside them that seem to close or open when AC is present. Dunno why but it is something I observed on a later unit I acquired. Pretty sure you have a turbine issue or at least check that out properly before spending gazillions on an inverter.

Good luck, Paul

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: