navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding extra panels?  (Read 192 times)
ade

« on: August 02, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »

Hi all
My second dumb question that I'm sure has been answered but I can't find it.

I have 8 335w sunedison panels in an east west strings currently, I have found a way to reorganise my roof space and add 2 more, one on each string.
However, I cannot manage to find any panels for sale that are the same, I spoke to the original seller and he can't get them either, what am I best to add? I realise if I put lower wattage they will all run at the lowest level (like shadowing), so it must be to add 345w or 355w panels?, would that be best? Should I ty and get any of the other voltage figures similar, what is my best choice?

Ta

Adrian
ade

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »

Maybe it looks like a pair of Tigo optimisers will do the trick, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
marcus

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:46:51 PM »

I'd look at the Impp figures rather than power, and get something as close as possible to you existing panels - and err on the high side. Although a panel with similar watts and the same no. of cells would probably have very similar Impp anyway.

You could transfer one panel from one string to the other so one string still has matching panels and put both new ones in one string.

I don't know much about optimisers so won't advise about them.
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:27:20 AM »

Are your panels on a FIT system if so you may wat to check on the implications of adding extra panels to it as extentions to a FIT system wont earn you anything I believe. An alternative would be to add the two new panels on a separate inverter and meter and not through  the FIT meter. In this case the new panels would not need to be the same as existing ones except possibly for aestheics but could be more powerful or different voltage etc as long as the new inverter was compatible.
ade

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:40:31 PM »

No I'm not on FIT so no worries there

Interesting thought to put the 2 new panels on one string, as I'm on dual MPPT that would make a heap of sense. Think I'll try that first.
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:24:35 PM »

If you have an E W setup your panels should be on 2 mppt strings.  You can add as many panels as you want as long as the Amps are the same, as Marcus said, volts and watts dont matter. You also have to have enough voltage to make the inverter work. If you have 2 strings of 5 panels each at 30 volts per panel will 150 volts per mppt input be enough to make the inverter work. Which inverter do you have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: