navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian/Masonary High Thermal Heater Burning Wood  (Read 26689 times)
welshboy

« on: June 01, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »

If there is some interest I will add to this posting about a firebrick/concrete/brick high efficiency , high thermal mass heater I built as part of our old farmhouse renovation- one wheelbarrow logs,one fast burn,rapid shutdown- Radiant heat till following morning.
stephend

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »

Yes there is interest  Smiley
I'm planning a fairly airtight home - so would it be possible to build one of these high mass stoves so that it uses an external air supply?  Or better yet, could you use a modern wood burning stove and build a lot of thermal mass around it (or around the flue?)

rust

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »

More intrest here- fasinated by Masonary Stoves at the moment
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »

Hello

here is a link for these stoves

http://www.grundofen-masseovn.de/english/seite-4.html

I used to live in a old farmhouse in Bavaria (cold winters) . We installed one of those about 6 tonnes of material

Once it was fired (could take upto a meter logs)  It heated the whole downstairs  (3 rooms) and kept warm for 3-5 days (depending)

Cheers Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
lightfoot

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »

Hi All,

I have already posted this link on billi's new house thread, but I guess this would be a good place to put it too, for anyone who may be interested in masonry heaters.... http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1

Lightfoot,

Mother Nature is a wonderful housekeeper - but eat her out of house and home and you may just get your marching orders.
Ivan
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »

Somewhere on an american site I read about a DIY high-thermal mass fireplace. The guy had created a brick fireplace with a large void behind. This void was filled with several tons of sand. He also ran many steel tubes (think I'd use aluminium) through the void, in contact with the sand, horizontally, from the fireplace. Each tube was terminated with a plate on the inner surface of the fire surround. The idea was that the metal structure would quickly conduct heat into the sand, so that the several tons of sand could be heated very quickly. He claimed it was successful, and would provide a few days of background heat after a firing.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »

i do like Masonary stoves

One problem i see here in ireland is that its never gets cold as in austria, germany  Huh

To receive heat from these stoves it needs a while..... and perhaps then too late cause sun is out again and temps outside ok....

We should design a hybrid version to instantly give the heat to the room an then switch over to heat the massive store  Tongue

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »

Hi again

Perhaps not the right place for the post

There is a new make/range of woodgasburners for livingrooms available

here one that should/could be inbeded into a wall/maisonry stove idea

Here is a bad google translation again  Huh
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ofenfachmarkt.de%2Ffenec_artikeldetails.php%3Fkat1%3DEinsatz%26kat2%3DHolz_Wasser%26anr%3D1039&hl=de&ie=UTF8&sl=de&tl=en

http://www.zukunft-sonne.de/powall/POWALL_Vario_E_Flyer_7-07.pdf

There is a smaller and a bigger version available

Billi

tennantcreek

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

We are opening up a fireplace in our cottage, initially with thoughts of a wood burning stove but a masonry stove now seems a much better idea.  That is if the chimney, floor and hearth are suitable - I'm expecting that it may be much too heavy.

The cottage is 17th century but I don't think this particular chimney is original.  I really need someone with some expert knowledge to ideally come and view the chimney and discuss if it is possible.  The chimney is on an external wall and cuts the corner off the room, so I'm hoping that as there is a lot of brickwork there already a masonry stove can be achieved in it's place. Plus, although I've studied the plans of how to build a stove I know my completely non-practical husband wouldn't like to attempt the job.

Does anyone know of anybody in the Midlands/Wales (we are in Shropshire) who might be able to help?
tennantcreek

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »

Thanks very much for that, I've ordered the book.  I'll pass it on to a local Fred Dibnah I've found, who will either have some idea about what to do, or will know someone who does.
tennantcreek

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »

My builder friend is hoping to have a look at one of these in situ, and speak to someone with a working experience of them. Is there anyone out there in the Shropshire/Mid Wales/Wolverhampton/Chester region who fits the bill?!
tennantcreek

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »

Thanks very much - unfortunately though it's looking like it's not going to get off the ground.  We can't afford to get someone in who knows how to build one (they are a rare breed), and haven't got the skills to do it ourselves. 

I spoke to a very helpful chap, Bert Bruins, from www.clearskywoodburners.com who is working on a self-build manual for thermal mass heaters, but in the meantime I'm at a bit of a dead end.

Plus, I'm not even certain it would be possible in our house, the floor would need some reinforcing and that may bring its own complications.
red

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »

there is a builder in the uk nowwho builds masonry stoves, i have built both russian and finnish masonry stoves, for the uk i would recommend a finnish fireplace the reasons very long winded! if anyone is thinking of having one built or wanting advice on the stoves please ask

regards red
daftlad

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

red,
Welcome to the forum,
Good to know that there is finally someone building these things in the uk.
Maybe you could start a "show us yours" thread with pictures of you building one of these beasts? I think most people like the idea of these things but because there are so few around there are also a lot of mis conceptions.
Where did you learn to build them?
look forward to seeing some pictures.
ta ta

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
martin

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »

I'll second that - it would be an excellent addition to the forum! garden

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: