navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas usage down by 40% since 2000  (Read 2950 times)
rob26440

Clear off birds!

« on: October 01, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »

In 2000 had cavity wall insulation (with a grant) installed.  (Already had 25mm D/Glazing throughout.)  In 2006 increased loft insulation to around 11".  Condensing boiler replaced 23yr old boiler in Aug 2007 and installed 30x58mm tubes on the roof with a 216L dual coil cylinder.  In Feb 2008 added a second cylinder to reduce the number of heat dump cycles in summer and to get better solar gain by switching to the cooler cylinder when appropriate.  Result - now using 40% less gas than in 2000.  Payback period - probably 15 to 20yrs for the Boiler & Solar bits and pieces.

Here's my month by month chart of daily units of gas used from 2003.  Bit busy but you can see where the added loft insulation went in during Sept 2006 and the new boiler & solar stuff at the end of Aug 2007.

Contemplated some PV but too expensive just yet plus limited roof space and, having read the posts for grid-tied hoops that have to be gone through, I might give it a miss for a while.

If the chart is a bit fuzzy, try using the magnifier at the bottom right of IE or copy & paste into a word doc.

* Ave-Gas_perday_byMonth_2003to2009.GIF (35.96 KB, 1307x548 - viewed 549 times.)

S/E England. 30x58mm tubes, S/W facing 40deg pitched roof, 216L primary and 184L secondary cylinders, TDC3 with home-made, separate controller to switch between cylinders, 15mm tubing with min 25mm insulation.
Mudman

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Well done! - not just for doing the work but for recording usage so frequently - I might point my more resistant (but technically literate) friends to this post as evidence that each intervention does indeed make a difference - although now that I've said that, they'll see my comment too!
It's extremely obvious how much your summer usage has gone down due to solar thermal. Assume you cook with gas which accounts for residual summer usage?
Is there Any way you could play with the data to show how much of the overall improvement was due to each development? It would be very useful for convincing people.
rob26440

Clear off birds!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »

Assume you cook with gas which accounts for residual summer usage?

Cooking is with electricity.  The residual summer usage is caused by one, and sometimes 2, members of the "3.5" adults in this house using far more than their fare share of hot water.  e.g. 1 (power) shower can be up to 14 minutes = total of 120 litres of blended water.  Sometimes 2 of them commit this sin on the same day.  So even in summer the hot water sometimes has to be topped up from the C/H boiler.  I won't go into detail about other hot water extravagances - such as always turning on the hot tap for the smallest need of water but due to the dead leg no hot reaches the tap before the tap is turned off - it just cools in the pipe work.  Rinsing dishes under the hot tap before putting them into the dishwasher (a particularly heinous crime).  And filling used cooking pans with hot water leaving them to soak for a while and then pouring away the water before putting the pans into the dishwasher which usually fails to clean the used pans properly, hence leading to further usage of hot water to do a post-dishwasher manual job! 

Is there Any way you could play with the data to show how much of the overall improvement was due to each development? It would be very useful for convincing people.

Not really.  The new boiler & 216 litre cylinder were fitted 2 weeks before the solar panel - so too close together.  The additional loft insulation difference can be detected because it was fitted just about 1 year before the new boiler.  I checked back in the older records to see the difference made by adding the cavity wall insulation in mid-May 2000.  But even that is difficult to be exact because it was done only 6 months after the double glazing was fitted in Dec 1999.  However on the basis that the DG made about a 5% difference, then the cavity wall insulation was about 15%.

S/E England. 30x58mm tubes, S/W facing 40deg pitched roof, 216L primary and 184L secondary cylinders, TDC3 with home-made, separate controller to switch between cylinders, 15mm tubing with min 25mm insulation.
dhaslam

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »

A useful way to show long term figures is to use moving annual totals,  this is the total for twelve months ending on that month.  The graph is straight except when increases or decreases occur in the current month compared to a year earlier.       Great bunch of records, it is amazing how just recording usage can help sort out wastage.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
langstroth2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:26:45 PM »

Well done Rob for recording everything so diligently. I've not got such detailed records, but as an example of the impact of solar hw heating on gas consumption see below.
Cavity wall and double galzing already installed prior to 2006.
Solar installed towards end of Summer 2008.
29yr old boiler only just replaced, so be interesting to see the impact that has on autumn and winter usage.
(we use gas to cook with)

* 2009_gasconsumption.GIF (13.41 KB, 699x689 - viewed 511 times.)
marktime

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

There are very many ways of presenting this kind of data and I don't believe that mine is any better but it works for me. Following dhaslam's suggestion of taking a whole year of data I find myself with a very gradual but significant reduction in electricity use. This is down to more efficient fridges / freezers, cfls, turning off standbys and nagging the teens.

Gas however stubbornly refuses to go down. I have no renewables but I am insulating with a furvour.

Gas & electric meters are read every Friday, each point on the graphs represents the total accumulated over a year. Having whole year totals to hand is useful when choosing suppliers.

MarkTime
dhaslam

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »

That looks good, you can narrow the scale on the Y axis to magnify changes.   It is a very useful form of graph for showing efficiency variations because it just shows the long term trend and eliminates detail.

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: