navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramblings on hibernate and standby  (Read 1876 times)
jms

« on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »

I like to Hibernate (the term used for save-state-to-disk) at bedtime because I have a number of things running, one of which is hard to start and like to find things where I left them in the morning. Another consideration is that if you suffer power cuts you won't lose out.

I believe that all non-server machines should be set to standby (low power and can resume in a second or two) or/then hibernate when idle.

Some corporates use the excuse that they might want to run updates overnight so everything must be left on.
(This was the case at the Sanger when I did a contract there a couple of years ago and they have a LOT of computers.)

You can point out that Wake-on-Lan exists for precisely this reason (and that any so-called IT professional should be able to use it). Corporate machines really ought to support Wake-on-Lan.

I'll give you some figures for my newish HP dc7900 desktop based on the E8500 with one extra disk which generally dozes off when not being used. My belief is that quad CPUs are a complete waste of electricity unless you genuinely need them. This machine does put many similar ones to shame.

Wake-on-Lan active (but 100Mb/s at this point)
Hibernate 2-3W
Running but idle (and you should also make sure your machine really is idle when it should be) 39-45W
Standby 4W

If you have software (OS included) or attached hardware that misbehaves with hibernate/standby you should treat it as faulty.

Laptops must cope being lids being shut, opened again and immediately be useable.

Finally if I was in charge I'd have it law such that operating systems sold with not-obviously-server computers in Europe would come with sensible power settings BY DEFAULT and warn the user (for a while) that this is the case. Anybody involved in server should know how to set things otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:07:56 PM by jms » Logged
martin

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »

By the same token, shouldn't Windoze bloatware be outlawed? - logically it'll take for more power than properly-written OSs and software............. linux

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
jms

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »

Being somebody that likes doing useful stuff with 8-bit micros and hates inefficiency yes and no.

The fact it once it's up and running my windows machine is idle and it's that which sets power consumption. Yes there's lots of it but modern disks can hold it.

The worst pieces of bloated software I have used from time to time are OpenOffice and Firefox so you won't get far convincing me open source is the solution. On PC hardware the low power features are less likely to work if you install an alternative operating system.

I have an EeePC 901. On that it is will known that battery life is better with windows that linux.

So like it or not MS Office on windows is greener than OpenOffice on non-windows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: