navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is this for a solar cooker?  (Read 5726 times)
daftlad

« on: March 13, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »

I saw this the other day and wonder what you thought?

* solar.JPG (38.11 KB, 448x336 - viewed 965 times.)

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Moxi

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »

Nice but a tad large for the average garden, the planet mechanics did something similar a while back and the main issue was the distribution of heat across the food to prevent burning, of course a similar problem for concave collectors also (if not more so?)

Moxi
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »

What's the maximum output temperature of the Navitron-style tubes?  Obviously when heating water it'll be limited by the boiling point of the water at whatever pressure it's at but for something like baking I'm thinking it'll be limited by the need for the fluid in the tubes to condense.  I wonder what temperature that is.
desperate
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

Why not get rid of the tube and fit a length of cast iron gutter at the focus and cook directly in that?

Desp
daftlad

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:18:26 AM »

There is a pot that looks a bit like a pressure cooker at the end of the tube and it was bubbling nicely. The connection between the tube and the pot looked like it was designed by Mr Heath and his mate Mr Robinson!
All food for thought.
ta ta

I WILL KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT MASONRY STOVES
Moxi

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »

Desperate,

Cast iron would certainly improve the process IMHO by distributing the heat more evenly and in the great british climate it would also allow for cooking on days with sunny spells with cloudy intervals, something of a must really lol.

Moxi
desperate
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »

I was thinking that the food could be fed into one end of the gutter and slide down at a rate determined by the drop and and straight into my waiting mouth, or if you want to be posh, you could have a running outlet serving into a plate. flyingpig sort of Desperate Dan style methinks

Desperate

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: