navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fire proof insulation wrap around steel flue bodge  (Read 15767 times)
Chanireland

« on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »

So i decided to weld a flue out of heavy steel pipe. great but where put it through the wall is much to close to cieling and wooden stairs 150mm and the flue gets reall hot Tongue

should buy a few bits of double layer ss flue but looking for a bodge  retrofit .
Ie shield the wood/cieling or wrap flue withinsulatin and then more metal any ideas Shocked

tahsnks

* stove flue.jpg (49.52 KB, 300x400 - viewed 3058 times.)

WBS it get hot ...
installations gas water heater
high speck head to toe thermals
nearly partially habitable dwelling...
shed full of bits (that might fit)
guydewdney

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

There is a fiberous fire proof board available for just this purpose. I forget what its called - but it looks like plasterboard with hair in it.

Is that an incandecent light bulb I see? shame on you.

The supports of those stairs look a bit flimsy -- what is the side made of (8" x 1" ? ) or is there a strengthening rib inside?

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Amy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »

If its only going through a masonary wall, I would simply make sure it can expand and contract without doing damage. Any heat given up to the wall is just going into the thermal mass, provided it doesnt cool too much and cause condensate within the flue

tony.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »

guy, one of the names this product goes by is supalux, available in travis perkins in different thicknesses in the same size as a full sheet of plasterboard.

tony
Chanireland

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »

yeh the stair srringer looked week to me to so i glud and screwed 18mm pyl to to back side of both stringers. but you cant see from the angle.

Light bulbs i actualy swap them round quite regualy, some time when you need to see what ya doing the burning wire  has the same asthetic as nacked flame Roll Eyes

In the plumbers part of the builders he sugsted fireboard  (fire proof plasterboard) or shower backer board which he said was fire and water resitant and people box off the back of stove with it didnt have time to to look at the time.
The stone works as a heat store but the flue is just a little to close to the ceiling and stairs.
what about standard Rock wool and  that silver tape, make like  a 1ft bandage at the top.
Phoned Rock wool and the standard insulation is heat resistant upto 1000oc but for short period no for extended periods. they sell other products that resistant upto 450oc continuos but no one stocks it in this area (yes internet)
tested scrap of rockwook with flame torch and wasn't dramatic but it did deteriat.
any real world experience  with Rockwool and very hot flue... Undecided
will have a look at supalux ta. travis perkins what that dont tink we have  round these parts..

tanks

WBS it get hot ...
guydewdney

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

Travis is a big UK builder's merchants. Its not the same as the fire proof plasterboard - its a fiberous stuff.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Heinz

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »

How about wrapping it with "thermal wrap" intended for race car exhausts?? I used to use it for exhaust manifolds, so it was possible to work on the engine during a race. Manifold could be red hot yet I could touch the wrapped area without getting burnt. Bound to be some on Ebay???

Heinz

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Chanireland

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

wow Heinz,
just had a look at your site looks like you have a mastery of the metal.. love tha goats
will look into thermal wrap. but worry about strange  products heat and living spaces off gassing and all that..

cheers

WBS it get hot ...
pottsiwebber

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »

Travis Perkins definately stock the sort of stuff you are after, I bought some to go above my WBS. Its bright pink (the same as my walls Grin).

I'm pretty sure it was this http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories/gyproc_fire/gyproc_fireline.aspx

However, it is a type of plasterboard but very fiberous inside and used to fireproof structural steel.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:18:53 PM by pottsiwebber » Logged

"If it aint broke you can probably still fix it!"

15kW Kostrzewa Pellet / Wood / Grain boiler
4kW Stovax WBS (2kW to room, 2kW back boiler)
216ltr Navitron thermal store
Navitron solar this spring
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: