navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just suppose,...  (Read 14595 times)
Justme

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »

So if I have this right.

When moored you have mains power available (and so can charge the bats fully)
& when on the move the engine can charge the bats?
Add in  an inverter & bat bank sized to cope & the jobs a good un.

So then a small genny will do or even a "travel power" unit
(basically a genny alternator fitted to the engine)

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 09:46:33 AM »

A boat with electricity available is a good home for a water-source heat-pump.  Ok, more expensive and complicated to install than an immersion but significantly more efficient in operation.
dhaslam

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »

There is a lot to be said for having  electric motors in a boat used for inland use only.   Boats use about fifty times less energy than  the equivalent road vehicle  once it  gets going a small amount of power would keep it moving.  You could use a fairly big motor to make handling easier and for use where there is a water flow or open space.    Batteries would serve a dual purpose but you just couldn't put on a washing on days when you  are moving.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
knighty

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:06 AM »

just a thought....

what about these water turbines made to hand off the back/side of a boat ?   I can't remember where I saw them... but I've seen a few... and they looked pretty cheap ?

will there be any water flow/tides where you are most of the time ?

something like that (as long as they're any good?) could provide a nice trickle of power into your batterys :-)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »

There is a lot to be said for having  electric motors in a boat
  Grin

absolutely  and have a smaller DC Diesel generator /battery bank  to do all

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »

..... Roll Eyes but on the otherside  we are a renewable energy forum , and a livingspace/transport idea   that only utilises diesel , is a bid missplaced here  Wink

But i am happy to help later, when you have killed a few diesel generators and search for a reliably PV idea  Grin

Billi

Haha, thanks Billi, I take your point but the high tech has an immediate high price, so I have to go with the traditional method for a while.

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
County 4x4

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »

That sounds like a pretty big engine for the boat size you mention unless it's going to be working on rivers or inshore waters. Considering the old working narrowboats with 20 plus tons of cargo on board used to manage fine with about 9hp!

Lots of options for calorifiers and extra alternators on modern diesel boat engines to provide power and hot water or you could go the Eberspacher/Webasto route for blown air heat. Those things run on a drip of diesel.

I'd also recommend having a trawl round the CWDF site at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/ - loads of liveaboards and long term boat dwellers on there who will no doubt be happy to advise if you're heading towards ditch dwelling.

Cheers,

Andy

JohnS

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »

Generators are noisy things and your neighbours will not like it when you fire one up in a peaceful anchorage.

Consider getting a water cooled one in a soundproof below deck compartment.

You need a radical rethink of your power requirements to reduce demand.

2.1kWp solar PV
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »

Hi i would use your main engine with a big alternator to charge a battery bank. It was a cheap engine compared to a generator and you get hot water as well.
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

Hi i would use your main engine with a big alternator to charge a battery bank. It was a cheap engine compared to a generator and you get hot water as well.

But, as already discussed, its hells own job to get the static revs right to get 50 Hz and impossible when on the move with a variable engine load, so Its not realy a viable option

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
Iain

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »

Amy
Engine alternator will be DC for battery bank charging so speed isn't an issue. The engine coolant will heat the calorifier.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Justme

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »

Amy
Engine alternator will be DC for battery bank charging so speed isn't an issue. The engine coolant will heat the calorifier.

Iain

Or get a Travelpower unit that does not need a steady fixed RPM to make the 50htz.

Its made for boats.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:42:20 PM by Justme » Logged

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Billy
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »

Don't rate the Travel Power, too many problems and you still have to run the main engine at light loading which is not good.  It's the same with a generator, how often do you use it to its capacity and really give the motor a thrash.

A lot of people are turning to DC generators to charge the battery bank and run inverters for AC.  I use this system, found myself a 10hp Lombardini electric start air cooled (so I can use it when the tide is out) and banged a lorry alternator on it with a Stirling smart regulator, brilliant.  I can even make it auto start or help the batteries when pulling big loads for a long time off the inverter.

Web search will find problems with the travel power and whilst it is a good idea for use on the run it doesn't make sense if you're not moving.  IMHO, naturally.

Billy

Grin Grin Grin
Lincsoldbird

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »

Billys right you can trade the cost of the genny on a smaller battery bank. But i would still go for good second hand fork truck and discharge them to no more than 50% of capacity.You should get a good 20 years life .
Paul
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »

A lot of people are turning to DC generators to charge the battery bank and run inverters for AC

i reckon  anyway that this is the more clever "Generator" than a direct AC Idea

Grin

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: