navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just suppose,...  (Read 14194 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »

I think Justme `s battery monitor ( if allowed to call it so  Roll Eyes ) is the more clever idea   than Billi or Billy has  Grin

But  beside the monitor a temp sense to adjust charge setpoints automatically makes a fool out of my Batterymonitor , when showing 100 % charged and high volt alert  Tongue , because he thinks we have 25 .

I tried to figure out  the Victron temp sense and connected it to the Battery , but sad enough i have not seen any changes in charging  Roll Eyes , while the solarchargecontroller and the temp sensor tells me " MR Billi ,  its cold so we try to reach 30 Volts before going into Absorption charge "

Better check my water level tomorrow morning

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Amy

Karma Queen !

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »

So a batt monitor senses the temp and decides from that how well charged the battery is?

If its hot it must have been charging hard for a while, so time to slow down as we must be nearing completion?

Thank God for Charles Darwin. Another voice of sanity in this God forsaken world.
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com/
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »

A Battery Monitor is just a Battery  Monitor , more or less to calm us control freaks down ,

the chargecontroller is the work horse and in control of the right charge , and there is the temperature  sensor attached

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
EccentricAnomaly
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »

Are you saying that you can get a surface charge on the plates that will give the appearance (voltage) of full charge but not really without a good boil, as it were?  I think I'm learning here.

Not so much a good boil as a long, lower current absorption phase charge.  Good (or, at least, plausible) discussion of surface charge here:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/surf_chg.html

So a batt monitor senses the temp and decides from that how well charged the battery is?

If its hot it must have been charging hard for a while, so time to slow down as we must be nearing completion?

I think it's more that the voltage which appears on the terminals for a given state of charge depends slightly on the temperature so when the battery monitor is trying to estimate the state of charge by looking at the voltage it needs to take the temperature into account.
Justme

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »

Temperature compensated charging increases or decreases the charge voltage dep on the bats temp. Whilst the bats temp will rise with fast charging the compensation is more about the environments effect on the bat. When its very cold you need higher volts to gain the same effect.

You dont need to "boil" the bat, you just hold the volts at a high level to allow the charge to penertrate the plate fully. That said a "boil" (you want the V to be just under the gassing voltage so you dont evap the electrolyte or do it with a higher V & just top them up more, so no doing that to sealed /gel bats) is used for doing an EQ charge to ensure that all the cells are at the same value. The cells that are bubbling / gassing are full ish & the ones that are not still need charging. When they are all gassing about the same & the SG stops rising then they are full.

Billy when your meter says no charge at all it MUST be lying. Even a fully fully charged bat will take some amps on a trickle. I doubt its is even possible to get to the stage when it accepts none at all. I think the meter just refuses to show any amps when the amp hour counter has reached 0 / full. On days I do a long charge I get down to 15amps which is 1% of total capacity. So I would expect yours to still be doing 2 amps ish when full (plus any loads).

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
Billy
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »

Justme,

I did a check today as the tide was right, as are you.  The regulator shuts the alternator charge to nil for a 15 min rest period (adjustable) then goes to 2-5 amps.  This happens when the batteries are low ish and have been on a high charge for a time, doesn't happen on medium or nearly full batteries.  Hence the zero amps that I clocked.  Monitor is new so still in play mode.

Billy

Grin Grin Grin
Justme

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2010, 05:50:10 PM »

Monitor is new so still in play mode.

Billy

Grin Grin Grin

Ah thats a good place to be.

Have fun.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc